Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using my head as a baffle questions  (Read 2782 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Using my head as a baffle questions
« on: November 26, 2005, 02:55:54 AM »
So, I am going to wear teh 4061 on my glasses.  Should they be back by my temples?  Back by my ears?  I am assuming that wearing them towards the front of the glasses elminates stero seperation with the omnis...
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Re: Using my head as a baffle questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 05:13:05 AM »
I mount mine to where they pretty much hit between temple and ear. I don't worry too much about the angle of them, but just that they are close in to one's head and pointing at about a 45* angle. Most of my venues are so wide or taped from so far back (even 2nd row orchestra is about 40-50' from the singers) that it's hard to really get much 'imaging.' I resign myself to getting the very best possible SOUND. And these babies do deliver THAT.

I don't run mine thru a croakie, actually. I use the dpa clips to put them on the glasses, then use a very small black zip tie and attach it to the ear portion of the glasses for safety's sake. I'd really like to devise a croakie that was zipable to easily get the dpa's in and out. How do you guys easily get them INSIDE?
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 10:07:21 PM »
So, I am going to wear teh 4061 on my glasses.  Should they be back by my temples?  Back by my ears?  I am assuming that wearing them towards the front of the glasses elminates stero seperation with the omnis...

I thread them into a standard croakie (the fabric does not seem to influence the audio) and position the croakie end just forward of my ears.  I suspect that there is a difference with positioning changes back and forth even a few cm, but have not experiemented in any organized fashion.  If you sit up front (as opposed to upstairs or back) you get really good stereo imaging, both on headphones playback and with good hifi equipment.  Your head is a great Jecklin disc.

Jeff

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:15:17 PM »
I just clip mine onto my baseball cap by my temples, using the smallest size binder clips I can buy from the local office supplies store.   10 clips for $.59 - work like a charm.

Don't turn your head much, and don't look down either.  You'll hear it on the recording.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:41 AM »

I thread them into a standard croakie (the fabric does not seem to influence the audio) and position the croakie end just forward of my ears.  I suspect that there is a difference with positioning changes back and forth even a few cm, but have not experiemented in any organized fashion.  If you sit up front (as opposed to upstairs or back) you get really good stereo imaging, both on headphones playback and with good hifi equipment.  Your head is a great Jecklin disc.

Jeff

Ha! Jeff, I've totally gotten sea sick listening back to my stuff at times. I'll have a friend tape, forgetting to tell them not to turn heads too much, and *barf*! The last show I did, I shit you not, there was 3 people that passed out in the auditoreum. My taper kept looking around to see what all the commotion was about and it's hysterical listening back. The room keeps swirling around! I choose not to think WHY the audience members kept passing out when I was singing..... But I'd be standing there seeing movement in the house and thinking: "WTF people!?"

BTW, anyone have any good ideas on what to do in Nice, France. Doing Faust here now. I'd like to get out and actually TAPE some local music to share w/ ya'll. The taping bug has firmly bitten me in the ass. I am LOVING my pmd671. And moke, I HAVE made a jdisc. I have to share pix w/ you sometime. Don't have my camera w/ me now though.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:08:48 PM »

Ha! Jeff, I've totally gotten sea sick listening back to my stuff at times. I'll have a friend tape, forgetting to tell them not to turn heads too much, and *barf*! The last show I did, I shit you not, there was 3 people that passed out in the auditoreum. My taper kept looking around to see what all the commotion was about and it's hysterical listening back. The room keeps swirling around! I choose not to think WHY the audience members kept passing out when I was singing..... But I'd be standing there seeing movement in the house and thinking: "WTF people!?"

Well you shouldn't spin a Jdisk around like a roulette wheel either!  Though it's not as sensitive to sidewise motion as direction mics would be, and not sensitive much at all to up and down nodding, which is a good thing if you fall asleep during some Lutoslawski (as long as you don't snore the tape will still come out fine).

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.27 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com