Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samplitude SE 9 workflow  (Read 11374 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Samplitude SE 9 workflow
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »
I recently purchased Samplitude SE 9 and am having some issues figuring it out.  Rite now I am stuck trying to resample from 48 to 44.1.  Every time I try it looks like nothing is happening.  After I click around a few times the screen turns white and on the top it says (not responding).  Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Samplitude SE 9 workflow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
After I click around a few times the screen turns white and on the top it says (not responding).

That doesn't sound good.  Though sometimes Windows confuses "busy" with "not responding" (typicaly a terminal condition for an app).

There are multiple ways to perform sample rate conversion, sometimes with differing results even though one uses the same quality settings.  This post lists the different ways to perform SRC:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99454.msg1324733.html#msg1324733

Which method did you use / what are your exact steps / what settings did you specify?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
Ok I think I got it.  I load my file, fade in, fade out, normalize, then export audio (wav).  Then go to format settings.  In format settings change the sample rate to 44.1 and set the format to 44.1 16 bit stereo.  Then I go into the dither (traing).  In there I leave the dithering with triangular spread nose (leave it at 0.50).  Then I go into resampling quality.  Under resampling quality I pick all of the highest settings.  Click Ok, ok, export.  Thanks Brian I will take a look at that link.

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
I was using "<1>  Offline Effects | Change Sample Rate" when things freeze up.  I am doing this with a very small file (like 10 second).

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:48:02 PM »
Odd that it seems to lock up when running offline.  Not sure what to say on that one.  You might search / tap the SAM forum to see if you can figure it out.  I'm at a loss.

In the meantime, you might also try the Track Bouncing method.  Unlike the Export method, it will allow you to specify the quality setting.
Roland R-05

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »
When I go to track bouncing that option is not enabled.  I see it but it won't let me click on it.  I was able to get things to work by batch processing.  When I batch I can use ultra high 2.  But when you batch it does not give any dithering options.  Is is automatically using the highest quality dithering this way?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »
Ahhhh...Track Bouncing is disabled because you must be loading the audio files directly into the WAV editing window (File | Load / Import).  I recommend doing all work in a Virtual Project (File | New Virtual Project).  Virtual projects (VIPs) allow you to apply non-linear, non-destructive, object-oriented edits - much better workflow than the linear edits available in the WAV editor.  If you need help working in a VIP, ask away - took me a while to ramp up the learning curve and get accustomed to it, but now I love it.
Roland R-05

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »
So you recommend working in VIP and doing SRC through track bouncing.  Let me take a look.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
So you recommend working in VIP and doing SRC through track bouncing.  Let me take a look.

Working in VIP for all edits, including SRC, provides a much more powerful workflow.  SRC through Track Bouncing will let you specify the SRC quality.  I also recommend trying SRC from the VIP using the Offline method - see if the app locks up as it does from the regular WAV editor.

My high-level workflow is something like:

• Create new VIP
  • Load WAV file
  • Track
  • Edit
  • Track Bounce (applies all edits + SRC and dither; results in single large file with tracking intact)
  • Export as WAV (specify same sample rate / bit depth as the in Track Bouncing, i.e. same as the actual data so it doesn't SRC / dither again; results in individual files for each track)

Alternatively, you could do similar, but use Offline SRC:

• Create new VIP
  • Load WAV file
  • Track
  • Edit
  • Track Bounce to 32bfp without SRC (applies all edits; results in single large file with tracking intact)
  • Perform Offline SRC
  • Export as WAV (specify same sample rate as you did in Offline SRC so it doesn't SRC again, specify target dither/ bit depth; results in individual files for each track)
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:02:02 PM »
^^^^^
Ahh just the starting point outline I needed.  [lights going on]

I've been sitting on Sam for a few months and just started taking a look at it over the weekend.  I was a bit confused after expecting the VIP type workflow but had opened the WAV file directly and found nothing but destructive editing happening. Thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 12:10:55 PM »
Brian do you have any tips for normalizing sections of the source?  Like if we adjusted levels during the show.  I usually use a virtual project.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »
Brian do you have any tips for normalizing sections of the source?  Like if we adjusted levels during the show.  I usually use a virtual project.

I've dealt with gain adjustments in two different scenarios:

<1>  Stepped gain adjustments

I've always found the point at which I made the stepped gain adjustment and split on a zero crossing into two objects  - one pre-adustment, one post-adustment.  I've then applied the appropriate fixed gain to whichever object requires it, typically the preceding object.

<2>  Variable gain adjustments

In this case, I've used the volume envelope to scale the gain adjustment by ear.  AFAIK, one may only apply the envelope to the entire track, so the envelope may rise up or down in an appropriate curve / line until the point at which I stabilized levels, and then the envelope remains flat for the remainder of the recording.

These both sound easy.  In the former scenario, it's not always easy to achieve a completely seamless adjustment, but I've found splitting objects on a zero crossing almost always worked fine.  In the latter scenario it's not always easy to immediately identify the points at which I start / stop the gain change, nor the line / curve required to make the adjustment.
Roland R-05

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
^^^ What Brian says.  This is the way I work in SAM, too.  VIP is the way to go as if you screw something up it has not been applied.  It is applied when you do the track bounce.  I believe you have way more functions, too, in VIP.  If you have SAM 9 SE you are hampered by not having a hard copy of the manual for the software.  The on-line manual has the instructions for a fuller version, so that gets confusing.

SAM does have a long learning curve but all the editors do when they have a lot of functions.  They more they do the more you have to learn.  I like the editor.  You probably will, too, when you get familiar with it. 

Cheers

Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »
So when it comes to dithering you leave it at "dithering with triangular spread noise, bit depth .50"?

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »
So when it comes to dithering you leave it at "dithering with triangular spread noise, bit depth .50"?

Yes. For the SE version that is what I would use. Samplitude support team recommends the setting of 0.5 for dithering. This is like 1/2 of a bit on average or something like that.

When working in the VIP, dither is automatically handled for you whenever the wordsize is reduced from float or 24-bits down to 16-bits. Like if you are bouncing to a 16-bit file or exporting to 16-bit format.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com