Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Weird Uneven Waveforms  (Read 2407 times)

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Weird Uneven Waveforms
« on: August 23, 2023, 07:07:06 PM »
Thread title courtesy of null dogmas.

I've never really understood the + and - portions of the wave form visualizations in most music editing software. ND tried to explain, and I read some online, but I was never much of a physics guy and anything I once knew is long gone.

Anyway, some of my recordings have always been a bit top or bottom heavy, but I have never paid much attention to it. Lately though, some of my recordings, have been far weighted to the negative (down) side.  I got more concerned when I noticed that it's only significant in one channel.

I can't actually hear anything unusual, but I don't know what I would be listening for. I've read some things online saying it's likely to be some issue from the venue PA, but these recent recordings are at different venues, and I've been to both places in the past without these issues. The fact that it's only in one channel just makes me worry that there may be a problem with one of the mics, which are still pretty new.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the issue.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Weird Uneven Waveforms
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 11:45:55 PM »
I had already found one of those articles. The other one does explain it a little more, but the types of things that both articles say are often asymmetrical are not present on my recordings with the issue. The problem would bother me less if it were in both channels because I can't think of any reason it would always be in the right channel.
I don't think it could even be my position while recording, because it has happened for shows where I was on either side of the venues.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 12:03:34 AM »
Do you have any screenshots? It’s not just DC offset?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 12:30:48 AM »
Rob, can you post the screenshots you showed me?

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 02:31:55 AM »
Rob, can you post the screenshots you showed me?

I tried when I made the OP, but the file type wasn't allowed.  Then when I took a screenshot on my phone of what you sent you, the file size was too big.

Alright, I just renamed the png file as jpg and it worked.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 02:36:07 AM by robgronotte »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »
My recording last night has both channels but similar except to the positive.

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 01:23:30 PM »
Assuming you're using separate microphones, if you swap channels (physically), does the imbalance stay on the same channel?  Or if you use a different recorder, does it continue to happen?

You could try cleaning the connections with a deoxidizer.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »
I'm curious if a fresh battery fixes the problem, as a dying battery is usually what triggers uneven waveforms for me.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 04:54:35 PM »
DC offset?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 04:59:10 PM »
Assuming you're using separate microphones, if you swap channels (physically), does the imbalance stay on the same channel?  Or if you use a different recorder, does it continue to happen?

You could try cleaning the connections with a deoxidizer.

I haven't tried that, and it would be very difficult to do. My mics are on separate cables and mounted on my hat. Never know when it's going to happen either.

Where would I get deoxidiser? The mics, battery box, and  recorder are all very new, wouldn't think they would have dirty connections yet.

Same thing for the battery, but maybe I will try a new one anyway.

I don't really understand DC offset, but these don't look like the photos of that I found online.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:04:36 PM by robgronotte »

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 06:06:33 PM »
DC offset?

No DC offset in that image, just uneven waveforms around the X axis.

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 11:06:58 PM »
I'm curious if a fresh battery fixes the problem, as a dying battery is usually what triggers uneven waveforms for me.
Same with me.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »
Yeah, most frequently a dying preamp battery in my experience.

90% isopropyl alcohol works well to clean the connections.  Deoxit or some other electrical contact cleaner a bit better.  Brake cleaner is magic for a lot of things but may melt plastic parts.

If the mics are 2-wire and terminate to a stereo miniplug (or stereo whatever plug) you could make simple cross channel adapter to easily swap left/right channels before or after the battery box to aid in trouble shooting.  Just need a stereo female connector, a stereo male connector and three short wires.

Connections as follows:
Mini jack in > Mini plug out
Tip > Rig
Ring > Tip
Sleeve > Sleeve

Doesn't look too bad in the image. If it sounds OK don't worry about it too much.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
Just an update - I'm less worried about one of my mics having a problem now, because another show I recorded last week has the same negative skew, but this time it's much more prominent in the opposite channel it was before.

So hopefully it was a quirk with the sound of the particular bands/venues, but I also replaced the battery just in case.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com