Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church Audio Preamp into jb3  (Read 7526 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Church Audio Preamp into jb3
« on: June 09, 2005, 10:17:47 AM »
Please, no flames - I've read all the posts!

I'm on a VERY limited budget, so I can't get an AD-20 or anything - I need a battery powered preamp to go between my incoming jb3 and my AT853 mics.

Has anybody actually used the Church Audio preamp into a jb3?

It seems that Chuch and Visivox are the only vendors who offer this at under 100.

I'm used to running my 853s through a SP battery box (with levels and bass rolloff), but that won't get me enough gain for the jb3, or so I understand.

I've read about line transformers but don't see how I could use them, since the mics terminate into a single stereo 1/8" plug.

I'd really like to use the jb3 rather than a MD with mic inputs - please help!

Scott
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Church Audio Preamp into jb3
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:32:32 AM »
Please, no flames - I've read all the posts!

I'm on a VERY limited budget, so I can't get an AD-20 or anything - I need a battery powered preamp to go between my incoming jb3 and my AT853 mics.

Has anybody actually used the Church Audio preamp into a jb3?

It seems that Chuch and Visivox are the only vendors who offer this at under 100.

I'm used to running my 853s through a SP battery box (with levels and bass rolloff), but that won't get me enough gain for the jb3, or so I understand.

I've read about line transformers but don't see how I could use them, since the mics terminate into a single stereo 1/8" plug.

I'd really like to use the jb3 rather than a MD with mic inputs - please help!

Scott

There are MANY folks who use the SP preamps here, and with good results. True to get your mics full potential, they need to be modded for phantom power, but like i said, many folks here use sp pres. I dont know of anyone personally who uses church audio stuff.
Ray

Offline thunderbroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 02:19:42 PM »
I've got the same setup, and I'm having compatibility issues.  I'm talking to Chris about sending it back to him for some modifications.  The pad isn't big enough for these hot microphones.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:48:11 PM »
I've got the same setup, and I'm having compatibility issues.  I'm talking to Chris about sending it back to him for some modifications.  The pad isn't big enough for these hot microphones.

Thanks for the tip - I ordered mine this morning, and sent Chris an email after reading your comment. Hopefully all of us will be happy with the result.

When you say the pad isn't big enough, you're meaning that using the preamp into the jp3 linein the levels are too loud? In a case like that, I still have my battery pack/levels/rolloff from soundpros, so I could use those directly for loud shows. My concern was the softer stuff needing more gain, not so much the other way.

Scott
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline thunderbroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »
I haven't used this setup to tape anything other than band practice (we need all the help we can get ::)), so the levels aren't really near club volumes.  The preamp distorted constantly in the +20db setting, and slightly with the -20 setting.  If I used the high pass filter in the -20 setting it was okay.

Chris said that the mics have too much voltage swing and need to be padded down via resistive pad.

I used it with a stereo condenser mic previously and had great results, so it's these mics.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 07:21:37 PM »
Chris said that the mics have too much voltage swing and need to be padded down via resistive pad.

...or the preamp doesn't have enough headroom  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
Well, I have to admit that I use the Church Audio (I too am on a tight budget) between my high end mic madness and Sony MZ-R70 and I have to say that so far, I've been rather happy with it.  On the +20 setting, the recordings get quite distorted so I set it at -20 and get decent recordings.  I emailed Church Audio and asked if they made a version with a knob or slide to have more control over the gain but they said no. 

Offline HarpDoc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »
I use the Church Audio preamp and am quite happy with it. As others have said, it distorts on the +20 setting but works well with loud shows on the -20 setting.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:20:20 PM »
nobody's gettin' my old ST-20....... :o
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
I'm confused.... ???

I thought the Sound Professionals preamp was the one with the -20/+20 db switch. There is a "Chris" at SP.

I though the Church Audio preamp had the variable gain from 0 thru 20db. There is a "Chris" at Church Audio.

Does Church Audio also make a -20/+20 db switchable preamp?
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »
I'm confused.... ???

Yeah, Chris Church at Church Audio made the ST-20, which is a -20/+20 dB pre.   :)

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 12:56:52 PM »
Your preamp is actually +6 +30 db not +20 -20 :) 

Chris Church

I'm confused.... ???

Yeah, Chris Church at Church Audio made the ST-20, which is a -20/+20 dB pre.   :)

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 01:17:53 PM »
These are the different preamps we make at Church Audio

ST-20A This preamp has two fixed gain settings +6db and +30 db it has 3.5 mm input (stereo) and output it has a built in belt clip. Frequency response is  20hz to 90khz +- 2 db

ST20B This preamp has two fixed gain settings +6 and +30 db it has a 3.5 mm input (stereo) and output it has a built in high pass filter at 80hz, power led, it also has a auto on feature when the mic is plugged in it turns on the preamp Frequency response is  20hz to 90khz +-2db

ST-9000 This preamp has three gain settings -0db +10db +30db it has a built in high pass filter at 80hz it has a audio distortion led (clip light) and power led. And a output level control knob.    Frequency response is  20hz to 90k +-2 db we use a burr brown or TI chip in this product

ST-9100 replaces ST-8 preamp This preamp comes in three wire or two wire with a built in clip light power light and high pass filter it is flat from 20hz to 40k  +- .2db We use a burr brown op amp in this preamp. It provides -00 db to +20 db of gain via a gain control knob.

ST-1000 This is your simple battery box that has a high pass filter and on off switch built into the mic jack this is available in a 2 wire or three wire box.

The common features of all of these preamps are
Size 3.5 inches x 2.5 inches x 1 inch
Belt clip (can be ordered with out)
ABS plastic hard shell case
Your Choice of Highpass filter frequency on ST-9000 series preamps

I'm confused.... ???

I thought the Sound Professionals preamp was the one with the -20/+20 db switch. There is a "Chris" at SP.

I though the Church Audio preamp had the variable gain from 0 thru 20db. There is a "Chris" at Church Audio.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 01:22:57 PM »

Chris Church

I'm confused.... ???

You sure, Chris?......I'm talking about the old ST-20.  Mine sez -20/+20 db  ???

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:39:54 PM »
I know what it says :) but its not the case :)

Chris Church

I'm confused.... ???

You sure, Chris?......I'm talking about the old ST-20.  Mine sez -20/+20 db  ???

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »

ST-20A This preamp has two fixed gain settings +6db and +30 db it has 3.5 mm input (stereo) and output it has a built in belt clip. Frequency response is  20hz to 90khz +- 2 db

ST20B This preamp has two fixed gain settings +6 and +30 db it has a 3.5 mm input (stereo) and output it has a built in high pass filter at 80hz, power led, it also has a auto on feature when the mic is plugged in it turns on the preamp Frequency response is  20hz to 90khz +-2db

ST-9000 This preamp has three gain settings -0db +10db +30db it has a built in high pass filter at 80hz it has a audio distortion led (clip light) and power led. And a output level control knob.    Frequency response is  20hz to 90k +-2 db we use a burr brown or TI chip in this product

ST-9100 replaces ST-8 preamp This preamp comes in three wire or two wire with a built in clip light power light and high pass filter it is flat from 20hz to 40k  +- .2db We use a burr brown op amp in this preamp. It provides -00 db to +20 db of gain via a gain control knob.

ST-1000 This is your simple battery box that has a high pass filter and on off switch built into the mic jack this is available in a 2 wire or three wire box.

I'm confused.... ???

Thanks for the summary, Chris.

If you get a chance, it would be nice to put this info up on your website.  The easier you make it for people to choose, the better...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 02:04:29 PM »
Dont get me started about my web site I have been waiting for over 5 months for it to be finished its taking way to long NEVER HIRE relatives to build your web site.

I'm confused.... ???

Thanks for the summary, Chris.

If you get a chance, it would be nice to put this info up on your website.  The easier you make it for people to choose, the better...

Richard

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 03:50:10 PM »

Just to be clear, if on my ST-20A preamp (bought used) there is a switch for -27 db / + 27 dB, this is really +6 dB / +30 dB?  What did the -27/+27 refer to?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »
it was a mistake on the lable :_) I never fixed it. It was always +6 and +30 actually the +27 and -27 was a mistake made by me I then had 1000 lables printed out and was not going to change them :) Sorry I can send you a new label but I think that one will end up a collectors item a long time from now when I am famous :)

Just to be clear, if on my ST-20A preamp (bought used) there is a switch for -27 db / + 27 dB, this is really +6 dB / +30 dB?  What did the -27/+27 refer to?

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 05:46:37 AM »
I actually used my old ST-20 and recorded a Nils Lofgren show the other day with the setting at +20db. The show was both acoustic and electric and he had som recorded tapes he used. Came out really well.
On the other hand My DPA 4061s need gain so you can´t really compare them to AT853s

DPA4061->CA ST-20@+20db->D100

I bought the unit when I used MD and Core sound Low cost binaurals and together with those mics I couldn´t use the +20db setting so I have had it in drawer for 2 years.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:56:47 AM by Fisherking »
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 09:53:56 AM »
I actually used my old ST-20 and recorded a Nils Lofgren show the other day with the setting at +20db. The show was both acoustic and electric and he had som recorded tapes he used. Came out really well.

Are you going to upload this to DIME or somewhere? There's a few good Nils tapes from this tour making the rounds, including one I recorded at BB Kings in NYC.

Scott

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 04:16:42 PM »
Well actually someone else just uploaded the concert recorded with almost the same equipment so I will not upload mine.
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
Dont get me started about my web site I have been waiting for over 5 months for it to be finished its taking way to long NEVER HIRE relatives to build your web site.

Thats the problem, you hired them, they should do it for free!  ;)
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com