Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SPC4s > ??? > MT2496  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SPC4s > ??? > MT2496
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »
My current rig is SP-CMC-2 > SP-SPSB-1 > MT. I'm wanting to upgrade my mics, and after a little research on here, the Studio Projects C4s seem to be a good choice within my pricerange. Of course the battery box will become quite worthless with these. Now everywhere that I look, any mention of C4s is directly proceeded by some mod variation of the UA-5. Coming by one of these seems to be kind of hard, so I'd rather not deal with that. The other two main options that I know of are the PS-2 and the Rolls PB224. I don't have a great burning desire to jump into an ADC (especially since I don't want to spend the money on an AD-20 right now), so I figure I can just get the preamp and deal with cables and adapters for bridging the gap between that and the recorder. A bit of a philistine setup, but so be it.

Of the two choices I listed, is one intrinsically better or more desirable than the other? I'm almost never in a situation where I have to stealth, so size isn't too big a concern. I generally record at 24/48, so are either going to be ill-advised in recording with these parameters? Are there any other good options, like should I really try to track down a modded UA-5? Also, when I began recording I started out with a minidisc recorder. In comparison, the MicroTrack seems much hotter and I have to be much more aware of clipping. Will any combination with the C4s introduce a lot of gain that could lead to trouble?

Well, that's a mouthful. Thanks in advance for any advice that will be offered. I've only been taping for a couple of years, and I really don't know all that much after looking through a lot of the information on these forums. So much to learn.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SPC4s > ??? > MT2496
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »
My current rig is SP-CMC-2 > SP-SNow everywhere that I look, any mention of C4s is directly proceeded by some mod variation of the UA-5. Coming by one of these seems to be kind of hard, so I'd rather not deal with that.

They're recommended for good reason - excellent value, i.e. strong performance at a reasonable price.  As for hard to come by, at least at the moment anyway there are three in the YS:

T+
T
W+

But if they don't fit your budget, then a phantom power source > MT may work.  And if you need extra gain at low cost, pick up a pair of line transformers.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:44:45 AM »
Oh, I'm sure they're excellent considering all the shows I've heard them used in. But I'm looking to spend, at most, ~$500 right now, $300 of which will be taken up by the C4s. Again, I realize that I am aiming for less than perfect goals right now, but it is a step up regardless and one which I would be most comfortable with.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20

Team SoCal

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 07:45:46 AM »
If you buy the mics on ebay you'll save a good bit off that $300, and if you want to go retail, bhphotovideo.com sells them for around $260, so that gives you a little more wiggle room.
Of course, you could always dump the MT and pick up something cheaper (iRiver) to add a little cash to the stack, if you're not set on 24-bit.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the B&P reference. I've usually been a bit wary of their prices as they've seemed a tad high on many items, but that's a pretty good price.

I'm now considering putting down a little more cash than I had originally planned to get some flavor of the UA-5. All I know is that, unmodified, it is designed to only work with a USB port on a computer. As far as the mods go, all I ever really see is 'to be sure to get one that is digimodded'. I see the names every so often, but I really have no idea what the differences are between them. Is there a list somewhere that lists the differences between them? Are they generally all digimodded, or are some just finetuned for better performance? Thank you for your time and answers.

Team SoCal

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 03:26:59 AM »
As far as the mods go, all I ever really see is 'to be sure to get one that is digimodded'. I see the names every so often, but I really have no idea what the differences are between them. Is there a list somewhere that lists the differences between them? 
check out the ua5 faq for more of an explanation on the various oade mods.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14389.0

Ah, exactly what I was in need of. Thanks!

Strike up another one to "We have the Archive for a reason".

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com