Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: upgrade to my stealth rig???  (Read 5056 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: upgrade to my stealth rig???
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
I run a Marantz PMD620 and it has a great internal pre which will power any plug in mic without a bb or preamp with no problems(i use mm-hlsc-1's(4.7k mod) but the at853(modded) will be pretty similar), i have recorded(and very succesfully) metal bands like Iron maiden, Testament and Danzig with just the mics going mic in(12bd limiter) into the pmd620

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
I would (and did) go with the $249 omni/card/9100 CA package, and you could still get an H120 for ~$400 total. Save up some more cash, get the R09 and sell the h120, and that puts you ~$550 total, but you can do it in steps.

Or, since you already have a battery box, you could get the R09 and a new set of mics now (ca, 853, ect) and worry about a pre later.   
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 12:33:15 PM »
You would be in the 550 range with a used microtracker and new Nevaton mce400's.  I would recomend this setup over anything else.  Highly flexible, no battery box, very good sounding mics.  PM TNJAZZGRASS for samples.

TF

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Note on the Nevaton mce400's recommendation: As good as these mics are, I would not rely on any omni mic as your only mic unless you only tape by the stacks. I have DPA 4060's & 4061's. I've made incredible sounding recordings with them when I can get them near the sound source, but the few times I've tried them a decent distance from the stage or stacks, the sound as been very disappointing (not nearly as good as if I had used the much more inexpensive CA-11 cards).

I second J. Maye's H120 recommendation (with rockbox installed) if you want to save money over buying an R-09. Although illconditioned (who is much more knowledgeable than I am) doesn't like the analog in, I think it does a great job if you are recording a loud source. Since it looks like you will also be getting the ST-9100 pre (a great choice) you will be able to use that with the H120 to do a good job recording lower level sources as well. Just get the first 20 dB of gain from the ST-9100.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline tcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »
I disagree strongly with the assertation that omnis are only good for stack taping.  The mce 400's are more akin to a subcard and are certainly directional no matter what the marketing states.  This is first hand info with using these mics for more than a year.  Second, I never stack tape and you don't have the "omni bass bloat" with the mce 400's.  Again, check the samples that TNJAZZGRASS can send you and decide for yourself.  I have been a low pro taper for over 15 years and wish I'd heard about the 400's a long time ago. 

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
tcf-I'll of course defer to your experience with the mic. That the mics are actually directional will help away from the stage also. I didn't really mean omni's are only good for stack taping, though. I meant up fairly close (and also, I've heard, out doors and in unusually good sounding rooms). My view was based on my experience with the DPA 406* omni series.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:19:28 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 03:15:09 PM »
I disagree strongly with the assertation that omnis are only good for stack taping.  The mce 400's are more akin to a subcard and are certainly directional no matter what the marketing states.  This is first hand info with using these mics for more than a year.  Second, I never stack tape and you don't have the "omni bass bloat" with the mce 400's.  Again, check the samples that TNJAZZGRASS can send you and decide for yourself.  I have been a low pro taper for over 15 years and wish I'd heard about the 400's a long time ago. 

I agree.  I've done a ton of omni taping over the years.  Basically if you can get *close enough* that the sound is good, omnis will sound good.  What often happens is I get way up close, usually close to one stack, so I get PA from that and stage/ambient as well.  I then move about (subtly, between songs) to reduce the chatter.  This only works in standing/general admission venues, but that is where I tape mostly anyway.

The only time I really wish for cardioids is when I'm in a seated venue, and when the room is large and boom.  Otherwise I almost always prefer the open and natural omni sound.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:14:24 PM »
I run a Marantz PMD620 and it has a great internal pre which will power any plug in mic without a bb or preamp with no problems(i use mm-hlsc-1's(4.7k mod) but the at853(modded) will be pretty similar), i have recorded(and very succesfully) metal bands like Iron maiden, Testament and Danzig with just the mics going mic in(12bd limiter) into the pmd620

I have to agree with Darktrain on this one, same recorder here.  I've also run a pmd620 straight to a set of at853's with great success.  Also tried the deck with a pair of 943's and liked the way that recording came out too.  That little Marantz deck is very underrated if you ask me.  Great size, great features, great sound.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »
My current stealth rig is pretty much what some of our fellow TSer's are suggesting:AT831's (from Sound Professionals) or Church CA-11's through a Sound Professionals battery box and into a regular R-09.  Put simply, I LOVE my rig and I've gotten some great pulls with both the SP's and Church's with and without using the battery box.  Can't tell you about the AT853's or CA-14's but both are a little more expensive, have slightly better specs and (in the case of the AT853's) interchangeable capsules, so I imagine that you could only get better results with them.  Additionally, both Chris Carfagno and Chris Church have outstanding products and are a pleasure to deal with; both have helped me out in a clinch.  Gonna be busy for the rest of the weekend, but PM me if you'd like some samples of both.  Cheers and Happy Halloween.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.516 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com