Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 5004 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Headphones
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »
I don't know diddly about the 7509's, but I remember reading a long while back that the 7505's were more closely linked to the V500's in terms of sound reproduction (which is shit for the V500's).   I've rarely, if ever, heard or seen anyone use the 7509's and Sony isn't exactly know for having a wide ranging line of good headphones; like AKG, Beyer or Grado labs. 

My honest opinion is to get the V6's.  They are cosmetically identical to the 7506's and sound identical too.  The 7506's are marketed for the pro audio crowd and the V6's are marketed towards audio consumers.   If you do pick the V6's, you can swap out the pleather ear pads for the Beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads (by ordering them through beyerdynamic).  That's what I did with mine, they fit perfectly and are far more comfortable.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
I've had a pair of V6's since the late 80's.  Good phones. Great as 'closed' phones to monitor/check the mix use. I used them for years for pleasure listening.  I stopped using them as much when I bought Etymotic ER4S that both isolated and sounded better.  I picked up a pair of open backed Senn 650's recently and really love them for rich, super deep & detailed playback if I don't need isolation. They like a tiny bit of treble boost but aren't overly bright sounding like the AKG's sounded to me or overly midrange emphasized and compressed like the Grados I've heard.  I haven't listened to the Beyers but they interest me, especially with the pro oriented Beyer virtualization box option that I forget the name of.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »
What do people think of the Beyerdynamic DT250 series?

I've got a few pairs of these and like them.  They sound a bit "softer" than the Sony 7506, but not as much detail and not as much bass.  The speakers are (a bit) farther back from the ears, so they tend to sound a bit more realistic (to me).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »
What do people think of the Beyerdynamic DT250 series?

I've got a few pairs of these and like them.  They sound a bit "softer" than the Sony 7506, but not as much detail and not as much bass.  The speakers are (a bit) farther back from the ears, so they tend to sound a bit more realistic (to me).

Richard

I had the opportunity to try the 250-250 (250 Ohm DT 250's) and thought they sounded awful.  Incoherent was the first word that popped into my head....I just couldn't get a grasp on the sound reproduction of those headphones because they didn't do anything right.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com