Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158796 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
Fixed mic returned from Gerr.
Also, got a pair of 4061's in the Yardsale for a good price.

Also picked up a couple of those mic mount (clips), SCM0017. They seem to be the best way to go for attaching to my shoulders etc.
The rig is coming together nicely, and I'll really be testing it near the end of May, for Slayer, with openers Anthrax, Lamb of God, Testament, and Behemoth. A real test of both the high SPL handling, and the battery life of my relatively new iPhone 8 Plus.

Question: The Shure Motiv app lets me capture in 24/48. Is there any reason to consider 24/96? I can barely hear 17K now, when I run experiments wiht a tone generator, so I'm not sold on the idea of capturing frequencies beyond roughly 20kHz.

I've seen some gear act more linearly, behave better, in the audible frequency range, when run at higher sampling rates. Any chance this might happen with the D:vice, or would I just be wasting bits and probably more battery life?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
Congrats on the successful repair.

You'll get differing opinions with sample rate, from some who are more adamant about defending their position than others.  Personally I'm fine with 24/48.  For me the primary issue in making the choice is simply one of reducing the archival storage space burden. Of the couple of tests I made using my recording gear, made with classical acoustic music in an very good acoustic hall, I could not reliably detect an audible difference between 48 and 96kHz sampling rates.  That made my decision to stick with recording at 48kHz that much easier.  I understand the arguments about equipment linearity, Nyquist filtering, and all that.  The d:Vice is a newer generation than the Tascam DR2d I used for my personal confirmation listening tests, and presumably uses better quality filtering and converters.   Another argument which I have not tested personally is that some post-processing manipulations such as EQ may benefit from working with higher sample rate files.  If upsampling the 48kHz file after recording to do such work at a higher sample rate (some EQ's do this internally) is effectively equivalent or not with regards to that is yet another question.

The bottom line is that for me recording at 96kHz is simply not worth doubling the needed archival storage space.  It's mostly a practicality thing.   I'm also always recording 4 sometimes 6 or more channels, so that double size storage burden would be again doubled or tripled over the storage space needed for 2-channel. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:51:30 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2018, 02:17:01 AM »
i saw someone mentioned using an android tablet

can it be used with android phone (yes i realize you wont have access to the app)

if it does work as an audio device on android phone can you pop it on an iphone to use the app to make settings and do they "stick" when disconnected from the iphone?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »
I have successfully tested it on an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) and phone (LG V30).  Obviously you need a device with USB C input/output to power the d:vice.  I used USB Audio Recorder Pro.  This was just a quick test to see that it worked, I have not tried setting volume levels.  Since the screen stays on, I am nervous that power usage will be high and an unhappy touch might shut the recording down, but these problems might be solvable.  I asked DPA support if there was any reason not to use Android or ways to for sure lock the volume settings on the d:vice, but got no answer.

I am VERY happy with the quality of 24/96 recordings I am getting with a dedicated iPhone 6S+. 

Jeff

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2018, 05:15:29 PM »
DPA just reminded me that iOS gives precedence to the most recently-connected device. So, if your device doesn't have a headphone jack, and you must therefore monitor over bluetooth earbuds, Airpods etc. be sure to connect the D:Vice last, after the earbuds.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2018, 02:12:21 AM »
I have successfully tested it on an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S3) and phone (LG V30).  Obviously you need a device with USB C input/output to power the d:vice.

so phones with microusb are SOL?

and every usb C phone has what it takes to power +5V?

is the d:vice microusb, so you are using a male usb-c to male micro cable with the d:vice?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
so phones with microusb are SOL?

and every usb C phone has what it takes to power +5V?

is the d:vice microusb, so you are using a male usb-c to male micro cable with the d:vice?

The d:vice end is micro-usb, so I had to purchase a micro-usb (male) to usb-c (male) active cable to get the android phone to work (the d:vice comes only with micr-usb to Apple and micro-usb to usb-a cables).  Chrysler linked to the correct cable earlier in the thread.  His Sony Android phone works, but with some limitations (not clear if they are hardware related or just come from the app software for recording).  My LG V30 will do 24/96 with the USB recorder pro app.  While I would guess that most usb C phones would provide the right power spec, I'm not sure about other compatibility issues, and this might be why DPA won't comment.

Jeff

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2018, 02:44:15 AM »
ok i got an iphone today

installed dpa,rode, and voice recorder pro apps.

will be getting my d:vice just in time for the show so ill be winging it. whats a good gain level to setup the 4061s at for a medium loud rock show

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04:04 AM »
I do quieter stuff, acoustic classical, with 4060s and 4081s.  Levels for 4061s should be set about the same as for 4081s and about 10 dB higher than for 4060s.  For the loudest classical stuff, up close, I set gain at about 10-12 dB for 4060s, which would translate to around 20 dB for 4061s, but don't be afraid to go low, I have added 12 dB or more in post with no problems.

If you are doing 96kHz, be sure to check that the app you are using is really giving you this and not 48kHz with all zeros at higher resolution, I got that with one app.  Big files without the extra data.  Rode (paid version) works fine (with iPhone 6s I have), and lets you shut the screen off so you won't accidently shut down recording by pushing the stop button. 

Good luck with it!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:30:41 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
So, on another tangent, I'm curious about what people here think is the best software recording tool at the moment on iOS.  I've tried the Motiv software and thought it was okay, I've used the Voice Record Pro software which is made by the same people who make Voice Record Pro 7.  Haven't had a chance to pay for (and try) the RODE recorder software.  Looking for something that seems pretty stable.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
I used MetaRecorder the only time I've tried my D;vice so far but didn't like how you set the volume. I'm going to try motiv next time....
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
What am i doing wrong, voice record pro 7 only has options for m4a and mp3? is there a lossless option for m4a?

Offline beenjammin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
Might anyone be able to offer some advice regarding a specific choice of recorders for a specific purpose?

I'm a longtime 4060 in AB for nature and general ambience recordings. I'm building a dedicated 4060 rig that I can have in a bag with me at all times.

It seems like the d:vice is a perfect match for me. But I wonder if the Sound Devices MixPre3 would be better? I like that it's a dedicated recorder, and while not as small as the d:vice, it's small enough to carry around in a bag.

But what about sonic qualities? Has anyone heard both units? How does the pre -> AD of the two units compare?

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
So, on another tangent, I'm curious about what people here think is the best software recording tool at the moment on iOS.  I've tried the Motiv software and thought it was okay, I've used the Voice Record Pro software which is made by the same people who make Voice Record Pro 7.  Haven't had a chance to pay for (and try) the RODE recorder software.  Looking for something that seems pretty stable.

As far as I can tell, the RODE app is equivalent to burning the $5 or whatever it costs. Motiv has worked fine for me.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
The stock 4060s come with microdot connectors, I think that to power them with the MixPre3 you will need a pair of phantom-to-microdot converters (DAP DAD6001), each of these is about 3" long and weighs about 1.2 oz, this will add to the size of the rig.  On the other hand, the MixPre3 will give you more gain (the d:vice MMA-A is limited to 30 dB, which is fine for the quietest acoustic music but I'm not sure how quiet your nature sounds are).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com