Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors  (Read 1866 times)

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors
« on: January 23, 2024, 06:19:12 PM »
Hey guys,

I've got a pair of DPA 4061's that I've been plugging into the d:vice > my iPhone. Thinking of moving to a more traditional digital recorder setup. If I did that, what battery boxes are currently available that take the microdot connectors?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: DPA - Battery box for microdot connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:34 PM »
MMA-6000 d:vice are only ones I know of with native microdot support. Maybe you could find a used Church Audio preamp that uses them but I don’t think there are many out there.

I’m going to terminate my 4661s in a locking 3.5mm connector once the new Deity recorder is available - no battery box needed.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 09:25:40 PM »
The DPA MMA6000 is a preamp + battery box. I have it and it's great. Small-ish but exactly tiny though.

DPA also makes a battery-box-only version but I don't know the model number.  Joe Naiant also makes custom PFA's for these mics. Voltronic went that route see his post lower down in this thread:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=198847.0
waves -> bits

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 10:26:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Wish DPA provided more options. Seems like this is going to be a hassle and I should just stick with my d:vice and iPhone setup.

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 05:56:33 AM »
Thanks guys. Wish DPA provided more options. Seems like this is going to be a hassle and I should just stick with my d:vice and iPhone setup.
id recommend it

church doesnt make them with microdots anymore and the DPA MPS6030 is as rare as hen's teeth. the MPS6010 (xlr out) is far more common. easier to adapt the microdots to standard connectors than to try to find an interface with microdot connectors

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 06:57:30 AM »
If you can find a MMA 6000 they are excellent preamps!  I have been using one with my 4011 & 4018 caps using MMP GR cables with awesome results.  I can get around 20 hours off one 9v rechargeable battery.  My WSP St. Louis 1/18 & 1/20 sources using this rig are on etree.org if you are interested.  Still working on 1/19
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:47:43 AM »
id recommend it

church doesnt make them with microdots anymore and the DPA MPS6030 is as rare as hen's teeth. the MPS6010 (xlr out) is far more common. easier to adapt the microdots to standard connectors than to try to find an interface with microdot connectors

Appreciate the advice.

While we're on the topic of the d:vice, does it work with the newer USB-C iPhones? (Not that I have one, but just curious about the longevity of this thing.)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »
A possible solution might be to commission a small battery box that uses microdot instead of mini jack for input and 7.4v bias supply.  Or just take a 9v battery box and replace the minijacks with microdot:

https://www.centricrf.com/connectors/10-32-cable-pcb-connectors/
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 08:54:18 AM »
id recommend it

Appreciate the advice.

While we're on the topic of the d:vice, does it work with the newer USB-C iPhones? (Not that I have one, but just curious about the longevity of this thing.)

Reports are it does not.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 09:02:37 AM »
id recommend it

Appreciate the advice.

Reports are it does not.
i found my usb c-to-micro cable, will try next time i go into town, hopefully i can log into the store display phone and download dvice app

the cable does work with the usb-c port on my desktop. interesting enough under the presumably ALSA driver it shows two inputs, though they sound the same. i guess the signal format over usb is indeed S/PDIF
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:19:14 PM by breakonthru »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 09:05:25 AM »
There's also the option of having a breakout y-cable made (microdots > 1/8" trs). That way you can retain the microdot terminations of the mic cables and use a fairly standard 9-volt battery box with 1/8" input. It's an extra cable, but not bulky when paired with a tiny battery box roughly the size of the d:vice.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:22 AM »
There's also the option of having a breakout y-cable made (microdots > 1/8" trs). That way you can retain the microdot terminations of the mic cables and use a fairly standard 9-volt battery box with 1/8" input. It's an extra cable, but not bulky when paired with a tiny battery box roughly the size of the d:vice.
these are cheap and common though id love to find a right angle

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 09:22:57 AM »
DPA also makes a battery-box-only version but I don't know the model number.

MPS6010/6020/6030. I think that is XLR/RCA/3.5mm, respectively.

Another good option is to get a microdot to 3.5mm Y cable.

[Edit to add:] There is also an MPS6040, I think, with 1/4" output.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:30:25 AM by aaronji »

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 09:47:43 AM »
all of the obsolete MPS models are listed here

https://www.expandore.com/professional-audio/DPA/accessories/amplifiers-powersupplies/DPAAmpPow_4.htm

i have a printed manual somewhere

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 09:54:06 AM »

Reports are it does not.

To be precise, reports are that the dpa app does not work, so you can't adjust levels.  But I believe you can set levels using an older iPhone and then record with, say, Metarecorder on the new iPhone.  Would love to hear if anyone is trying this.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 09:58:15 AM »

Reports are it does not.

To be precise, reports are that the dpa app does not work, so you can't adjust levels.  But I believe you can set levels using an older iPhone and then record with, say, Metarecorder on the new iPhone.  Would love to hear if anyone is trying this.

metarecorder overrides DPA app levels, the only thing dpa app does that metarecorder doesnt is select sum/stereo/dual and toggle HPF on or off

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 10:12:34 AM »
My DPA app hasn't functioned in ages. It's there but you can't do anything with it. I've had the best results with the Shure Motiv app but recently that failed on me. The Apogee app is a nonstarter completely because if I opened my phone to check the time or check that it was still recording, it would momentarily switch to the iPhone's internal mics.

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2024, 10:13:33 AM »

Oh, that's a pretty good idea. For some reason I thought that wouldn't work.

I've also got a microdot CA Ugly on the way that detroitlightning is hooking me up with so I'll give that a try.

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 10:14:17 AM »
My DPA app hasn't functioned in ages. It's there but you can't do anything with it. I've had the best results with the Shure Motiv app but recently that failed on me. The Apogee app is a nonstarter completely because if I opened my phone to check the time or check that it was still recording, it would momentarily switch to the iPhone's internal mics.

I haven't tried the motiv app, but I haven't had any issues with the apogee app or the dpa app on my iphone 12mini or iphone 14 pro.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 10:20:47 AM »
interesting. what phone/ios version. if i unlock my screen to check time i hear a little glitch thru the monitor but its not on the recording

Offline dynamicalories

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2024, 10:45:24 AM »
interesting. what phone/ios version. if i unlock my screen to check time i hear a little glitch thru the monitor but its not on the recording

It's an iPhone 12 mini. The Apogee thing happened to me on a couple recordings in 2022 and I never used it again.

The Shure Motiv issue just cropped up recently. It's never failed me before this. What happened is it just randomly stopped recording after around 58 minutes on a couple different recordings.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2024, 10:58:24 AM »

It's an iPhone 12 mini. The Apogee thing happened to me on a couple recordings in 2022 and I never used it again.

The Shure Motiv issue just cropped up recently. It's never failed me before this. What happened is it just randomly stopped recording after around 58 minutes on a couple different recordings.
ive had apogee stop recording on rare occasions, usually when the storage is close to full. the only time ive seen the phone drop the connection to the dvice is cable issues. some lightning jacks are chronically loose

Offline stl_oni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2024, 12:49:59 PM »
I had the same problem (connection issue) with my iPhone 12 mini and the DPA d:vice. Constantly loosing connection resulting in recordings with the internal mics ... thought it was the cable but found out it was the iPhone. Exchanged the iPhone 12 mini with an old iPhone 5s and since then no more connection issues with the DPA d:vice.

Only once had an issue with the Apogee recorder app (The National, Berlin 2022): Recorder stopped recording for unknown reasons also it was showing to record when I checked during the show. Never found out what the reason was.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2024, 02:22:18 PM »

metarecorder overrides DPA app levels, the only thing dpa app does that metarecorder doesnt is select sum/stereo/dual and toggle HPF on or off

Well I can move the level indicator in metarecorder, but the incoming signal on the metarecorder app meters is the same whether it's at 100% or 0%.  The d:vice is outputting a digital signal, if the analog audio is clipping there I don't see how the metarecorder app can fix that.  It doesn't seem to affect what the MMA-A is outputting.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 03:05:49 PM »

Well I can move the level indicator in metarecorder, but the incoming signal on the metarecorder app meters is the same whether it's at 100% or 0%.  The d:vice is outputting a digital signal, if the analog audio is clipping there I don't see how the metarecorder app can fix that.  It doesn't seem to affect what the MMA-A is outputting.
mine doesnt work like that at all, though level control is unpredictable when dvice app is in 'locked' mode

dvice app tries to reconnect and do stuff when switching back from metarecorder to dvice app, so i usually verify settings are where i want, and unlocked, then close it and only use metarecorder, with full level control

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2024, 03:44:18 PM »
Do the DPA microdot to TA3 adapters pass power ?

If so you could go Sonosax m2d2 with the TA3 adapters > microdot > dpa and still run the phone

not the cheapest option but an option
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 03:45:10 PM »
Do the DPA microdot to TA3 adapters pass power ?

If so you could go Sonosax m2d2 with the TA3 adapters > microdot > dpa and still run the phone

not the cheapest option but an option

yep

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 03:57:25 PM »

mine doesnt work like that at all, though level control is unpredictable when dvice app is in 'locked' mode

dvice app tries to reconnect and do stuff when switching back from metarecorder to dvice app, so i usually verify settings are where i want, and unlocked, then close it and only use metarecorder, with full level control

The issue is not running metarecorder with the dpa app locked or unlocked.  The dpa app is reported not to run on the new iPhones at all.  When I try running my old iPhone _without the dpa app at all_ I get that the metarecorder level control has no effect.  If you don't have the dpa app running at all do you still show level control from the metarecorder app??

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 07:10:07 PM »
yeah on every phone ive ever tried, (2016-2022 era) from ios 10 to ios 17

heres a short vid

https://tinyurl.com/mma-meta-test
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 07:16:13 PM by breakonthru »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2024, 01:26:50 PM »

Oh, that's a pretty good idea. For some reason I thought that wouldn't work.

Works great.  I adapt most of my microdot-terminated DPAs to either TA3 or miniplug by building adapters.  The key has been purchasing a pre-terminated cable with female microdots on both ends.  Cut the cable to whatever length you want and install whatever connector type you want on the other end.  One cable can supply two mono adapters or one stereo adapter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 12:16:07 AM »
yeah on every phone ive ever tried, (2016-2022 era) from ios 10 to ios 17

heres a short vid

https://tinyurl.com/mma-meta-test

What you show in the video is what I see when I have the dpa app running in the background with the level lock off.  When I reboot the iPhone without the dpa app running and just load Metarecorder the Metarecorder levels control does nothing to the level of the incoming signal from the MMA-A.  If the dpa app will not run on iPhone 15, or will not adjust levels, will Metarecorder do this?  It would be nice to have a report from someone with an iPhone 15, MMA-A and Metarecorder that this would work.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 01:02:46 AM »
not sure why we are seeing different behavior.

heres a different phone. after verifying the d:vice settings were where i wanted, i disconnected it, deleted mma-a app from the phone, rebooted, and fired it up with only metarecorder. worked fine

ios 17.1.1 on a 2022SE

http://tinyurl.com/mma-meta2

reproduced with different d:vice (newer than the first, with "MMA-A" badge instead of "dvice") on a third phone running ios11.4
didnt uninstall dpa app (as this is my main recording phone and i didnt want to risk breaking it), but i did close it out and reboot and connect dvice with dpa app closed. still have level control in metarecorder. all 3 phones are running metarecorder v2.2.1(222)

tested on a fourth phone (wife's 14 pro with ios16.2), with an install of metarecorder on a phone thats never seen d:vice app. upon connecting the dvice, the  phone gave me a message that the accessory uses an app not installed on the phone, but it worked fine with metarecorder when i dismissed the notification
my gut feeling is dpa gave you a generic answer (i think they outsourced the development as any question i ever had was referred to a "tech team" with the caveat that an answer would "take a while" - its possible that team is no longer available as a resource), considering the fact that its a class-compliant device that works out of the box with every ios version ive ever seen and also out of the box/driverless with android phones and windows and linux computers over both usb-a and usb-c, id really be shocked if it didnt work with an iphone 15 over usb-c. will try to test tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 01:48:37 AM by breakonthru »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 01:49:58 AM »
not sure why we are seeing different behavior.

heres a different phone. after verifying the d:vice settings were where i wanted, i disconnected it, deleted mma-a app from the phone, rebooted, and fired it up with only metarecorder. worked fine

ios 17.1.1 on a 2022SE

http://tinyurl.com/mma-meta2

reproduced with different d:vice (newer than the first, with "MMA-A" badge instead of "dvice") on a third phone running ios11.4
didnt uninstall dpa app (as this is my main recording phone and i didnt want to risk breaking it), but i did close it out and reboot and connect dvice with dpa app closed. still have level control in metarecorder. all 3 phones are running metarecorder v2.2.1(222)

My iPhone is an older XR, and I haven't upgraded from iOS 15.5 (updating iOS broke the Rode Recorder app I started with when the MMA-A came out, Rode never fixed that though they promised for years that a fix was coming).  I am also using 2.2.1 (222) for Metarecorder.  I also have both versions of the MMA-A.  Will play around some more.  I am comfortable with my MO of using the dpa app to set and lock levels and not use the Metarecorder slider, very few slip-ups in daily recording except when a connector comes loose (screw ups, like forgetting to select CAF and having the recording stop at 2GB, usually only happen once - learning by screwing up method).  Maybe I'm missing a setting on the Metarecorder menu?  Anyway, I have until all the lightning-connector iPhones are gone to wait and see if the USB-C ones can adjust levels (my laptop and android tablet software can't, though I haven't updated those or used them since playing around when the MMA-A first came out).  A nice upgrade from the MMA-A (multitrack, 32 bit float) would also be great.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 07:46:27 PM »
 Well I gave it a go at Walmart

The phones were in some demo mode and wouldn’t let me install apps even if I logged in. GarageBand was one of the apps on the demo install and it was able to control levels on the dvice (albeit as a ganged stereo pair- the interface was new to me)

Dvice app was available in the Apple Store (but “get” was greyed out on all apps so I couldn’t go the last mile to see if it would install on an iPhone15), I still suspect it would work ok. Eventually I’ll come across someone with a 15 while I have my dvice on me, I’ll keep the usb-c cable in the kit for such a time…

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com