Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom U-44: good for making digital transfers?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline symon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Zoom U-44: good for making digital transfers?
« on: April 03, 2020, 05:44:59 PM »
I'm looking at transferring my DATs from DAT machine to Mac. Does the Zoom U-44 allow me to do that without going through any conversion to analogue?
The Zoom U-44 is particularly attractive because of the spdif and toslink inputs - I've got some minidiscs I'd like to transfer, too.

If the Zoom doesn't achieve a digital transfer, what does for a similar price?

I'm happy to be educated if I'm talking nonsense.

Thanks

Offline Dirtybiz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom U-44: good for making digital transfers?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:59:15 PM »
Following - I've got a rather large DAT collection that needs to be transfered. 

I've got a Sony D-100 Deck and a HHB Stand Alone DAT unit and pretty unclear on how to go from DAT to Windows?

Mics:  DPA 4022's, Neuman AK40's & AK50's, AKG CK1X, CK3K & Oktava MC012's
Recorder: Sound Device Mixpre 6ii & Tascam DR-44WL

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:25 PM »
It can be used for SPDIF > U-44 > SPDIF (and thus to a Mac with SPDIF) but Macs apparently re-sample the digital stream anyways. I have a U-44 for sale if you are looking for one, but I changed to using a Marantz PMD670
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:19:07 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
Well, I got one anyway because they are getting a bit scarce. Haven't had chance to use it yet. I want to transfer my minidiscs first and my deck doesn't work (replacement arriving tomorrow  ::))
I'd be interested to know more about Macs resampling. I'll go looking anyway, but is there a good source of info about this?

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »
It can be used for SPDIF > U-44 > SPDIF (and thus to a Mac with SPDIF) but Macs apparently re-sample the digital stream anyways. I have a U-44 for sale if you are looking for one, but I changed to using a Marantz PMD670
I've just read this again. Why would you use SPDIF out of the U-44? I thought it was possible to do a straight digital transfer via USB - so SPDIF (or TOSLINK) > U-44 > usb > Mac.

I'll report back here  on how I get on, because I think It'll be useful to have the information available.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
if the mac usb is bit accurate you should be able to take the same file you recorded on the mac, slap it back on the U-44, and then get the same results, pretty easy to test

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194031.0
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 07:54:01 PM »
Thanks. I had noted to myself that I needed to look at your posts about this.
By the way, the Zoom U-44 is just an audio interface. It's not a recorder. But, I understand what you meant. 

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »
Well, after much struggle and head scratching (one broken minidisc player and one dud optical cable) I finally got some test audio recorded from a minidisc via the Zoom U-44 into my mac. it wouldn't do it in Audacity, I have no idea why not. But, the Zoom came with Ableton Live Lite and that did, finally, record some audio.
It's been a bit of a struggle getting to this joyous moment, but I'm quite relieved it all worked. I haven't tried doing a DAT transfer yet. I'm going to assume it will work in principle and leave it to another day before I try it. I'm quite relieved, and now looking forward to transferring my minidiscs, finally. Phew

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com