Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY key fob battery box  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: DIY key fob battery box
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 12:26:02 PM »
Very nice.  I'm considering building a four channel version myself.  Thanks for sharing the build here at TS.

Agreed that a small plastic cap on the miniXLR would make for an excellent finishing touch.

I think you'll also find the locking mini XLRs preferential in use, in part simply by eliminating the need to secure  connection with tape, even though converting to that connector required re-terminating the microphones.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »

The challenge with reterminating your mics is making them incompatible with other gear - like off the shelf battery boxes or recorder inputs - but if you plan to use this key fob exclusively and you have a backup in case it develops an issue you should be all set.

Nice work. This is really cool.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 02:15:39 PM »
Yes, good point.

But best to configure things in whichever way best optimizes for the primary usage of the rig, I feel.. as long as I've clearly determined what that is.  Of course I need to accommodate whatever inputs the recorder has.. unless modding that too, which is more extreme but has been done by some TS members.  I don't go that far.  My rigs used into handheld recorders use miniXLR up to the end of the signal chain where small right-angle stereo mini TRS plugs are needed to plug into the recorder.

To retain the ability to to use mini-jack equipped battery boxes or preamps, say as a backup or whatever, you can build short adapter cables to convert back to mini-plug/jack, and will only need to use them when using that alternate gear.  That way the primary configuration remains optimized, but you have fallback options.

For instance, I've set things up both ways in the past using the DPA miniature mics that feature a built-in cable and terminate to a coaxial microdot connector.  If I want to retain the microdot connectors on the mics I make up a female microdot to mini-XLR adapter cable (or to stereo miniplug or whatever).  Whereas if I'm setting up the rig for specific regular use and optimizing for that, I'll cut off the dots, trim the mic cables to the most appropriate length and re-terminate directly to my preferred connector.  In my current custom fitted four channel rig all four DPA mics terminate to a single multipin miniXLR and the four mic cables are of different lengths.  That eliminates adapters and connections as well as the need to loop and secure excess mic cable length.  But I waited until I knew I wasn't changing the rig further to do that.

If I build one of these with four channels it will be for use as a backup/higher-security-alternate to the mini-XLR input 4channel preamp I currently use.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 02:17:44 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 06:25:42 PM »
just a suggestion or idea etc

Ive been looking at phone case with hidden compartments. they seem to manufacture several with the idea being a hidden wallet or etc for credit cards.

but id imagine an empty phone case that you are holding as you go through security filled with whatever would be a great option with more space

love the key fob idea btw
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Nick_Riviera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2023, 12:24:56 PM »
Put together the final design for this, a version I'm most happy with.  Only thing I haven't been able to source is a mini-XLR cap.

Parts summary:

I also built a couple of pairs of binaural mics, one set of omnis and a second set of cardioids

Parts summary:

For these I basically followed the instructions at the sonyinsider site, which - when you don't have a lot of experience soldering, takes some practice!  Suffice to say there were a few screw-ups, a lot of learning, and once assembled I tested them using online frequency waves to make sure they matched well enough (within ~1db).  Then assembled the mics/cables to the Monster 3.5mm and then a split with the mini-xlr cable, making sure to feed the mics through the sunglass holders before welding everything together! 

All said and done, these were fun projects and the sound is pretty darn good.  Looking forward to catching a couple of shows here in the coming months.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 04:44:01 PM »
Great stuff - this rules!

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 07:41:00 AM »
I'm very interested in this project. Keen to do something similar myself. I exclusively use 3.5mm gear so I'll be keen to have a crack.

Has anyone else successfully built a key fob BB? Would love to see people share examples.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 10:06:31 AM »
I'm very interested in this project. Keen to do something similar myself. I exclusively use 3.5mm gear so I'll be keen to have a crack.

Has anyone else successfully built a key fob BB? Would love to see people share examples.

With some guidance from Nick, I've been in the process of copying his design.

Two things causing me to pause and rethink:
1) The pins on the back of the 3.5 plugs are tiny.  I bought some others that have a better separation of leads (meant for a break out box) but the collar of the plug is much shorter, about 2mm vs 5mm so I'm trying to see what I can do with it.
2) Discussion in the A10 thread that 12v battery power may be the cause of some issues so I was maybe looking at doing a 9v and 12v.  I typically run CA14s which, to my horrible ears, seem to like the higher voltage when using a SP 12v box.

My progress:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:16:38 AM by mrfender »
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 08:32:08 PM »
Why don’t you sacrifice a male mini xlr and put the key ring thru it?

It would look like those common “breakaway” keysets

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 02:04:47 AM »

1) The pins on the back of the 3.5 plugs are tiny.  I bought some others that have a better separation of leads (meant for a break out box) but the collar of the plug is much shorter, about 2mm vs 5mm so I'm trying to see what I can do with it.
2) Discussion in the A10 thread that 12v battery power may be the cause of some issues so I was maybe looking at doing a 9v and 12v.  I typically run CA14s which, to my horrible ears, seem to like the higher voltage when using a SP 12v box.

My progress:

I saw a similar remark elsewhere but I've personally been unable to find evidence of the battery boxes causing damage. I found one comment where the poster thought that maybe it was the cause but provided no evidence.

Are you able to link to some of the comments in the thread because I've had no luck finding them sorry.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 06:41:47 AM »

My progress:

I saw a similar remark elsewhere but I've personally been unable to find evidence of the battery boxes causing damage. I found one comment where the poster thought that maybe it was the cause but provided no evidence.

Are you able to link to some of the comments in the thread because I've had no luck finding them sorry.

I haven't been able to find anything else on the topic either.  Googling everything I can think of related to it but nothing specific comes up.  Like you say, no firm evidence of it yet so maybe it's nothing.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2024, 08:21:09 AM »
In relation to your own attempt, I've been thinking about the project and if 3D printing could come in handy. I'm thinking if there ends up being a standardized parts lift for people, including the fob, then I could model a harness for the internals to make it easier for others.
Something I'll have a think on further in the near future.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2024, 08:39:29 AM »
Core Sound uses only a 4-pin mini-XLR on their single connector battery box/mic plug.  R/L in/out and I guess ground is only carried in the shield/shell. Don't see a handy photo of this on their (his) site other than hooked up.

That's a good example of the arrangement.  Hmm, maybe does use the shell connection for signal ground.  Nice to have it on a pin connection though too I think.
i have one of these and yes the shell is the ground

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »

When I built my BB, I just stuck the resistor/capacitor leads through the little holes on the 3.5mm plug pins then soldered/snipped the excess. If you're planning to build it using some extra cable, you should be able to stick the wire through those holes then solder as well. You can see what mine looked like under my post about cloning the UBB.

If you're worried about providing too much voltage, you can always adjust (increase) the resistance to get to your desired voltage.

Offline joeldotc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2024, 02:45:27 PM »
In relation to your own attempt, I've been thinking about the project and if 3D printing could come in handy. I'm thinking if there ends up being a standardized parts lift for people, including the fob, then I could model a harness for the internals to make it easier for others.
Something I'll have a think on further in the near future.

This would be awesome - an open source design for a BB that gives a nice clean package.

On another note, I'm still trying to find a source to build a nice DIY stealthy pre-amp but I can't find any good designs and I'm not smart enough to design one myself haha!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com