Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony Minidisc Questions  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sony Minidisc Questions
« on: May 12, 2004, 05:12:10 PM »
I have a recording rig that, sadly it seems, is based around a Sony NETMD Walkman.  I have used this thing for about 1 1/2 years now, and never have had any major problems with the sound.  

I know all of the tech heads around here are going to be all like, "My god, what is he doing?," but I am still in high school, and haven't the money for any kind of DAT or digital based recording rig.  

Right now, I have my Nakimachi mics running into a Rat Shack 4 channel mixer (powered by 9volt battery) and straight into my MD's analog in.

So my question is:

How can I improve my rig?  Is there any special way to make Minidiscs sound better?  Do you have to compensate with better placement?  Or Mics?

Also, what about my mixer.  Is that really helping out things right now?

Any help will be so greatly appreciated.  As you can see, I am a definite newbie, and thought I would turn to the "professionals" here at Taperssection.com!

Thanks alot!

-Patrick
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Sean Gallemore

Re:Sony Minidisc Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 05:26:03 PM »
a harddrive based wav recorder such as the Nomad JB3 would be an improvement over ATRAC compression.  Also, the New HiMD recorders will be coming out soon.  They record wav as well.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 02:08:13 PM »
I mainly use the SP setting.  Sometimes I will use LP2, but mainly I stick with Stereo.  

I have the Net MD Walkman, from Sony.  
<http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=WltLx7fPGolL7vds7btBzPjDb7g3x3dZ5Zo=?ProductSKU=MZN420DKIT>

Yes, the Naks are powered internally, but I used to use (and still use sometimes) an Audio Technica COndenser.  For some reason, even though this mic was powered, it wasn't getting very good levels when plugged right into the MD.  So, I really just kept the mixer in my signal chain because, well, maybe I don't know why!

I'll try to play around with getting a good level from the Naks, and see what happens.  I'm going to tape this weekend, so maybe that go smoothly.  I can kinda experiment with placement and such then as well.

Thanks alot for all the help!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 09:59:34 PM »
I'm sorry.  I can't find a site with my deck on it.  Mine does have a line in jack on it.  It is 1/8"

My Naks are 3 CM300's with the Omni and Card caps on them.  I would be more willing to sell my left arm then these mics.  So, send me your best offer!!!!!!
Sorry about the link, too.

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 10:10:19 PM »
You should consider getting a nice preamp. That will improve your sound.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 01:11:50 AM »
I had to use my MD for the 1st time in like a year tonight.....i forgot how simple it was to plug into the board and walk away......haha

so that was way off subject....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 01:12:26 AM by mterry »
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com