Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vote for the best external storage device!  (Read 9890 times)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: vote for the best external storage device!
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 04:23:03 PM »
Seagate is the only company that has burned me so far. No problem with the WD's (knock on wood)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
I had a 200GB WD drive formatted NTFS that lost the partition table, which was a common problem with that particular model.  I swore off WD after that but have sense bought a 2TB WD drive I got cheap.

I am mainly running Seagate and Samsung now though.

Point is no drive manufacturer is without issue.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »
Point is no drive manufacturer is without issue.

Of course not.  But segate has been on the edge of bankruptcy for years.

And even before that, they wouldn't do an advance replacement.  So if your new drive was failing and throwing codes, they wouldn't send you a replacement until you sent them the failing drive.  WD has done advance swaps for much longer.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
Have many servers switched over to using SSD drives or do they still primarily run on scsi & sas?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
Have many servers switched over to using SSD drives or do they still primarily run on scsi & sas?

I would never use an SSD for ANYTHING critical.  In fact I wonder how many Server OS's offer native TRIM support right now.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »
Some companies are starting to move the boot partitions over to SSD on redundant servers (note that - and put all the data on SAN, etc)

See:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/index.html

Parallel SCSI is pretty much dead although SAS and iSCSI (a SAN technology) are in wide use.

I do believe SAS SSD's are avail or soon to be avail.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:35:31 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
i had 4 or 5 wd mybooks die in less then 1yr
stopped sending them back for replacement and just got a seagate
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:19 AM »
what capacity were they, Will?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 02:01:32 PM »
Had a WD book die within 7 days, right after I got home from HSMF and had dumped 4 days worth of shows on it.  500GB model too.  Never again.  I have had good luck with Iomega which run seagate drives from what I understand, A Segate both of which are 1TB  and  a Maxtor which has toshibia drive.  But Toshibia only makes up to a 320GB I believe. 

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

I would never use an SSD for ANYTHING critical.  In fact I wonder how many Server OS's offer native TRIM support right now.

My buddy runs his OS on a SSD drive with Windows 7 and it SCREAMS.  You see the post from the mobo then you're looking at a login screen.  That fast.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »

My buddy runs his OS on a SSD drive with Windows 7 and it SCREAMS.  You see the post from the mobo then you're looking at a login screen.  That fast.

I run an SSD at home for my OS as well.  Love it.  At home if it fails no biggie. 

Running one on a production critical server?  Not so much.   

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
For those who've had WD MyBooks die on them, consider buying higher quality bare drives and dropping them into a well-powered and -ventilated external enclosure.  Frankly, I don't trust any manufacturer's all-in-one, off-the-shelf consumer solution -- there are simply too many compromises, most of which are not publicized at all (e.g. even something as simple as the specific model and specs of the drives).  Much better to create a more robust external HDD solution on your own -- and it doesn't cost much more.

FWIW, I'm a WD fan -- I typically purchase their low-ish end models targeted for business, with 3 or 5 year warranty, and never buy the latest-and-greatest, biggest-and-bestest model.  First generation runs of any high tech device -- especially those pushing the envelope, like increasingly huge HDD storage -- tend to have issues.  I'm much happier buying slightly smaller, more reliable HDDs with a proven track record.  Personally, I don't see much point in being an early adopter of any HDD pushing the limits in the my-HDD-is-bigger than-your-HDD game.

I have, on occasion, used WD's advance replacement service (both in and out of warranty) -- not surprisingly, since all HDDs fail eventually.  At the first sign of trouble with a HDD, the advance replacement service allows me to receive the new HDD, transfer and verify my data to the new HDD (whether from the HDD going bad or a known good mirrored copy), then wipe the old one clean before sending it back to WD.  Very easy, very convenient.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

I have, on occasion, used WD's advance replacement service (both in and out of warranty) -- not surprisingly, since all HDDs fail eventually.  At the first sign of trouble with a HDD, the advance replacement service allows me to receive the new HDD, transfer and verify my data to the new HDD (whether from the HDD going bad or a known good mirrored copy), then wipe the old one clean before sending it back to WD.  Very easy, very convenient.

could you tell me more about your experience with out of warranty products?  i found a form on their site and submitted my s/n and it came up as out of warranty (which i expected), though with the wrong model number...and i didn't go any further.  what i want to replace is the enclosure, the drives seem to be fine, just can't read the data off them because of the partitioning (or whatever you'd call it that bind their hardware to accessibility of the drives)...i've taken the drives out of the enclosure and hooked them up to several different OS's and they all show there being no partition found, again not a surprise because there's gotta be some kind of RAID or something tying the 2 500GB drives together as one 1TB drive. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
could you tell me more about your experience with out of warranty products?

It's been a while, and unfortunately I don't think my experiences will help you much, but...the story is pretty short and simple:  after my two most recent WD HDD failures (this was quite some time ago), WD had an offer running where they provided a discounted price on a new replacement HDD.

I doubt they'll offer to do anything at all about your bombed drives.  And I would guess they're using a proprietary RAID0 setup, which means it might not be easy to recover the data.  I assume you've researched online to see if anyone else has recovered a bombed RAID0 WD setup?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com