Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording onto an iphone  (Read 7782 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Recording onto an iphone
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
My friend would like to be able to plug his iPhone out of the tape out (mini) on a Sound Devices 744T.  Does anyone know the best app or program he'd need on his iPhone in order to do this to get a clean recording?
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Recording onto an iphone
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
iPhones don’t have stereo input hed be better with a handheld there are numerous ones under $100
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 12:15:13 AM »
My friend would like to be able to plug his iPhone out of the tape out (mini) on a Sound Devices 744T.  Does anyone know the best app or program he'd need on his iPhone in order to do this to get a clean recording?

So just to be clear -- he wants to record into the iPhone from a 744?

The iPhone does indeed have stereo input -- i have made many dozens of stereo recordings on an iPhone using stereo external mic such as Shure MV-88. It is true that the internal microphone (the thing you talk into) is mono on an iPhone.

It seems so much easier to transfer to a computer, convert to ALAC or mp3, and then transfer to the iPhone. If he wants to do this in real time (kind of like the old days when people plugged into another deck) then you would need a male-mini to male-mini extension cord, a female-mini to male lightning adaptor and an app such as Shure MOTIV.

Good luck!

:cheers:
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:55:09 AM »

The iPhone does indeed have stereo input -- i have made many dozens of stereo recordings on an iPhone using stereo external mic such as Shure MV-88. It is true that the internal microphone (the thing you talk into) is mono on an iPhone.

i should have been clearer, it does not have an analog mini-jack stereo input. both the built-in mic and the mic circuit thru the headphone minijack are mono.

there are numerous digital stereo options thru the lightning port such as shure mv88, dpa d:vice, apogee duet, line6 sonicport, etc. all of which require separate hardware which costs at least as much as the aforementioned recorders.

id buy an edirol R07 for $100, or a sony ICD-UX560 for $50, both of which have good analog minijack inputs (the latter would require levels be set by 744)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:58:27 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »

i should have been clearer, it does not have an analog mini-jack stereo input. both the built-in mic and the mic circuit thru the headphone minijack are mono.

there are numerous digital stereo options thru the lightning port such as shure mv88, dpa d:vice, apogee duet, line6 sonicport, etc. all of which require separate hardware which costs at least as much as the aforementioned recorders.

id buy an edirol R07 for $100, or a sony ICD-UX560 for $50, both of which have good analog minijack inputs (the latter would require levels be set by 744)

Thanks for the suggestions, but he's interested  in this more as a means to do it, as opposed to being a serious taper.  He and I hang together and he helps me with my gear, so he figured why not try.  If he was more interested in the recordings, I would suggest a small deck as well, but he also knows I'll give him any recordings he wants.
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:23:10 PM »
sonicport

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 01:38:12 PM »
sonicport

The sonicport is what I would normally recommend but doesn't work with ios 13.x.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
Get him a d:vice and some 4061s and. tell him to go rogue and make another source.

d:vice can also be tricked by cabling to take a (low level) line in

buts he’s in for $600+ in that route

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 03:28:00 AM »
Tell him to look out for a Tascam iXJ2. Now discontinued, but they pop up on eBay frequently for not too much money.

It's the old 30-pin socket so will need an adapter, but it will still work very well with a suitable App on the phone. I use the Rode Rec App and get very good results.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/review-tascam-ixj2-preamp-ad-enables-dual-mic-2-channel-opportunities-for-i/

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 08:46:58 AM »
If my friend wanted to use real equipment, he'd buy it.  Also, if he was interested enough, I'd just bring an extra small deck to patch out, and tell him to bring an SD card to use and take home, so it wouldn't cost him anything.  As stated above, he is only interested because he's there with me anyway, so why not experiment and see what happens.  It doesn't mean that much to him, other than having something to do, I send him whatever he wants anyway.

Thank you for all the responses, I did pass along the iPhone suggestions for him to look into.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 01:36:40 PM »
PM sent with some info for the iPhone

If my friend wanted to use real equipment, he'd buy it.  Also, if he was interested enough, I'd just bring an extra small deck to patch out, and tell him to bring an SD card to use and take home, so it wouldn't cost him anything.  As stated above, he is only interested because he's there with me anyway, so why not experiment and see what happens.  It doesn't mean that much to him, other than having something to do, I send him whatever he wants anyway.

Thank you for all the responses, I did pass along the iPhone suggestions for him to look into.
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »
Look into the Shure MV88.  Plugs into the lightning port.  I used one once for Def Leppard and Journey.  Worked out well I thought.  Really easy to use. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline wharfratjoe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
Look into the Shure MV88.  Plugs into the lightning port.  I used one once for Def Leppard and Journey.  Worked out well I thought.  Really easy to use.

+1 for the win. the shure motiv app records in wav and flac 24/48
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 02:30:24 AM »

How did you place the MV88? In your pocket? I own one - I'm just wondering how to set it up properly.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 10:06:46 AM »

How did you place the MV88? In your pocket? I own one - I'm just wondering how to set it up properly.

I use a lightning extension cable to make mounting the 88 easier. Also figured out that a large binder clip can be used as a mic mount if you take it apart a bit then reassemble.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com