Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

iphone 12/13 in low-light concerts

(1/2) > >>

SMsound:
I'm thinking about making the switch from mirrorless to the Iphone 13 Pro camera for filming classical music concerts, recitals, etc.  I'll be able to bring/use some of my own lighting.  A main concern is that lighting still isn't great... Iphones in general can get very noisy in low light, esp. on faces in my experience, but I haven't yet tried the 11/12/13. Can anyone with a 12 pro comment? Any thoughts about whether the hype around the 13 pro will play out for this application?

spyder9:
Real camera > Phone camera

Always.

seethreepo:

--- Quote from: spyder9 on October 20, 2021, 12:11:53 PM ---Real camera > Phone camera

Always.

--- End quote ---

& real recorder > phone
& external mics > Internal mics
& FOB > Taper Section
& HATS > better than Denied

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
Can't speak for the iPhone, but the Pixel phones do a great job in low light. Not as good as my mirrorless camera, but it does the job when you can't (or don't want to) bring a real camera to the show.

I'd be curious to hear about the iPhone 13 Pro though. I'm considering picking one of those or the Pixel 6 up if either is a noticable improvement over my current Pixel 4a.

guitard:
I would like to mention that the app you use to shoot video with an iPhone can make a big difference in the quality of your videos.  Frankly speaking, most of the time, the iPhone's native app for shooting video does not handle concert lighting very well.  I did a little research and decided on the FilMic app.  Not sure how much it costs now, but I think it was $15 when I bought it 3-4 years ago.  I've shot some nice live 4K footage with this app.  There are likely other iPhone video taping apps out there worth trying out; but I am so happy with the results I get with the FilMic app, I don't even bother looking at other apps.  This is mostly based on my experiences shooting video with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.  I just got a 13 Pro Max (w/ 1TB storage capacity) yesterday, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet (working on a tape I pulled last night).  I will report back about the change over to the 13 Pro Max after I've had a chance to use it a few times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version