Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD661 with Sound Devices Mix-Pre?  (Read 8127 times)

Offline alogic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: PMD661 with Sound Devices Mix-Pre?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
This is definitely some great information, thanks a bunch.

So with the key ingredient here being that this setup will not be used for loud sources or taping shows, but is being used for taping very very quiet material with very high gain settings on the MixPre, and my objective was to have as *little* noise as possible added to the signal from the MixPre, I understand that I am not going to "avoid the preamps" (or circuitry, whatever you want to call it) regardless weather I go in thru the XLR or the 1/8 inch line in. With this in mind ->

1) Am I going to add any noise, even a minute amount when using the XLR or the 1/4 inch Line ins, with the PMD661 preamp/circuitry in the equation? I gather the answer is yes but with the gain settings on the PMD661 set as low as possible I avoid this as much as possible, am I correct?

2) A lot of people use the R09HR with the MixPre as a "bit-bucket". The line in on the R09HR is known to be very quiet I'm told, but it's circuitry gets introduced to the signal via line in just like on the PMD661, No? They all go thru the same preamp/circuitry right? Even on the R09HR?

3) How would the line in on the R09HR vs the line on on the PMD661 compare in terms of introducing as little of their respective self noise to what is being sent from the MixPre? Since the preamp on the PMD661 is a little quieter than the R09HR, it is a slight improvement, no?

Thanks, and again I appreciate the patience. This community as taught me a LOT reading thru the posts. Everyone that has contributed to tappersection should feel proud. I hope to contribute as well in good time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:19:04 PM by alogic »

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: PMD661 with Sound Devices Mix-Pre?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
That is also what I wanted to ask. In other terms; being a deck's mic preamp better or slightly better than another one's, does it mean the same difference will be noticed also in the line in?

c

3) How would the line in on the R09HR vs the line on on the PMD661 compare in terms of introducing as little of their respective self noise to what is being sent from the MixPre? Since the preamp on the PMD661 is a little quieter than the R09HR, it is a slight improvement, no?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:36:05 PM by carpa »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com