Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a replacement stealth rig, help/opinions?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
Looking for a replacement stealth rig, help/opinions?
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a long-time Sonic Studios taper, but as you can see from my other post a while back my set is malfunctioning and it doesn't seem possible to fix it.

I now have a few shows in the near future I'd like to tape (of the loud rock variety) so I wanted to get a few opinions on what to replace it with. I'm looking for something similar, namely:

-Stealth, glasses loops or mini alligator clips preferred for mounting
-Omni capsules, as flat a response as possible, high SPL and SNR capabilities
-Matched with a preamp with bass roll-off, selectable amplification and roll-off settings a plus, has to output through 1/8" as my deck is a PCM-M10
-I'd like to spend under $1000 all in if possible

I know Sound Professionals has a variety of setups, Church Audio, Core Sound is still out there...just don't know what the opinions are for a setup like this today (best quality/best bang for the buck/etc.) If you own the setup you're recommending or have collected tapes made with it, samples would be great. Here's an example of what I view as the prototypical Sonic Studios sound for rock, which was what got me to buy those mics back in the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oVo2yW-1w

Thanks in advance!

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Re: Looking for a replacement stealth rig, help/opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
I'd be looking for a used DPA 4061 set with a DPA/Church/Naiant preamp to power the mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:22:48 PM »
I'd be looking for a used DPA 4061 set with a DPA/Church/Naiant preamp to power the mics.

Church Audio should be able to built a 9200 preamp to use whichever connectors the DPA mics have as well.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »
^ The OP said he has some shows in the "near future".  I don't think I would put my eggs in the Church basket if time is a concern.  The DPAs are a great choice for small omnis, though.

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Yeah...I should have thought about this sooner, but I'm kind of looking for something to order like today if possible, as I have a show next Thursday night :)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
^ The OP said he has some shows in the "near future".  I don't think I would put my eggs in the Church basket if time is a concern.  The DPAs are a great choice for small omnis, though.

Good point - near future is relative. I've had good experiences with calling Sound Professionals. They ship quickly.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
Yeah...I should have thought about this sooner, but I'm kind of looking for something to order like today if possible, as I have a show next Thursday night :)

I think it would be unwise to choose mics based on how quickly you can get them. 

I would look at Countryman B3.  Although you won’t find anyone here to do a 4.7 mod, you can buy low sensitivity which should cover you for most stuff.  Super-small and sound fantastic.  Good luck w/your search.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 02:36:32 AM »

Where are you located?  Borrowing a rig from someone could be a possibility.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
if you can up your budget a bit and ditch the M10 the 4061+d:vice>iphone setup is hard to beat... gets into every show taboot

with a brand new set of CORE 4061s youre lookin like $1400
if you go used legacy 4061s you can get around $1000
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com