Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland r26  (Read 35107 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland r26
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:04:28 AM »
So could I record using 2 sets of mics simulataneously - one set with xlr's and one set with 1/8 stereo plug?

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
So could I record using 2 sets of mics simulataneously - one set with xlr's and one set with 1/8 stereo plug?

It certainly looks that way.  But there are only two level knobs, not sure how you would get four tracks to record at proper levels.  A menu selection?  I want to go line-in to the 1/8" stereo input, I hope plug-in power is deselectable.

Jeff

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »

It certainly looks that way.  But there are only two level knobs, not sure how you would get four tracks to record at proper levels.  A menu selection?  I want to go line-in to the 1/8" stereo input, I hope plug-in power is deselectable.

Jeff

Yes me too, i would like to use a preamp on my 1/8" stereo input and use the 48V phantom to power the XLR's. I like the 2 input knobs and 2 or 3 sets of level readout on the front. Only problem for me is it looks a tad big for stealthing, certainly a lot bigger than i am used to smuggling in to shows.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
looks nice,  love it got really good handy gain wheels. and a nice contender running good mics without extra pre´s in the chain

but on this unit this silly 2 cent power / hold switch with risk turning it off if you wanna "hold" it just bollocks. even my cheapo 100 Euro backup device has single switches for power and hold ...

so my suggest for the mk2: drop half the 150 internal mics and add proper power / hold switch :p

Yeah  that dual switch looks mighty dangerous, extremely stressful and fiddly in the dark at the very least - REALLY daft idea whoever came up with that......

Offline Davey Roberts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
The Roland website makes it seem like they're actually the exact same pre-amps used in the R-44:

"The R-26 inputs are equipped with high-performance mic preamps directly inherited from Roland’s R-44 professional recorder for the highest level of sound quality."

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100093  <-- Under "More Info".

update: Roland says "The preamps for all mic channels are derived from the hi-res preamps found in Roland’s R-44 4-Channel Portable Recorder." 
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=145356

It will be interesting to hear if "are derived from" translates into "sounds as good as."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:46:33 PM »
Dear Roland,
I like your gear because it's simple, reliable, and works well, but this one seems a bit of a bastard child with an identity crisis as well as a 'me too' product.  You missed a chance to differentiate yourselves by having six analog inputs by pennys.  Put two additional mini-jack stereo inputs on the side in the avaiable panel space right next to the existing one.  Make them all switchable to line-input sensitivity via a software switch. That would be cool. Oh well, too late. But that's OK, I'd rather you do that on a new R-09 sized recorder without the XLRs & phantom. Bonus points if one of the minijacks doubles as an optical SPDIF in.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
Noticed this on the acessories page:

Pedal Juice: Rechargeable 9V Power (available from Sanyo) usage notes:
Power plug connects natively to any Roland field recorder powered by the PSB-1U power supply.
Supplies ~8 hours of continuous power to R-44, ~12 hours of continuous power to R-26 and ~3.5 hours of continuous power to R-4 Pro.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:27:25 AM »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
I didn't look far enough to find a price, but simply due to all the overblown Sanyo marketing speak and branding I suspected it would be overpriced.  For an additional hundred bucks maybe you could get one that does exactly the same thing but has an illuminated silloette on the case of a piece of fruit with a single leaf attached to it.  Still, I'm holding out for the overpriced Monster Dr Beats model with celebrity endorsements and rhinestones on it.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
Dear Roland,
I like your gear because it's simple, reliable, and works well, but this one seems a bit of a bastard child with an identity crisis as well as a 'me too' product.  You missed a chance to differentiate yourselves by having six analog inputs by pennys.  Put two additional mini-jack stereo inputs on the side in the avaiable panel space right next to the existing one.  Make them all switchable to line-input sensitivity via a software switch. That would be cool. Oh well, too late. But that's OK, I'd rather you do that on a new R-09 sized recorder without the XLRs & phantom. Bonus points if one of the minijacks doubles as an optical SPDIF in.

Right on the mark and well said.

The Eneloop battery sounded promising until I saw the pricetag that Ozpeter found.  If they halved the price (or more), they might have a contender.  For around the same cost you could get a more versatile Tekkeon power source.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
Sweetwater says they expect the Roland R-26 to arrive by the end of October.  The pre-order price is $499.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R26

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »
Anyone have one yet or an order in?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »
This looks pretty cool but I don't find it to be anything that exciting especially at the asking price. I know it can record many channels at once and it has a touch screen, but I think I would rather have a fr2LE or PMD661 with its digital inputs. (especially since you can get them for less money).
I really don't like the marketing "Application Examples" here: http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100093
but at least they are not saying you can record everything with the internal mics.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
Can a couple of these be linked together with sample accuracy?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »
Noise figures (very respectable) have now been published at http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

Note that there are two entries, one for the XLR inputs and one for the mini input.

"The R-26 inputs are equipped with high-performance mic preamps directly inherited from Roland’s R-44 professional recorder for the highest level of sound quality."

Maybe the above tests give some feel for where the R-44 fits in the scheme of things - oddly it's never been rated at avisoft.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:45:54 PM by Ozpeter »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com