Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best software for editing Dual HD camera shoot.  (Read 1844 times)

Offline bozac26

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best software for editing Dual HD camera shoot.
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »
HI,

I just shot a concert using 2 HV30's and I want to know what the board recommends as for editing software. I plan to make a blu-ray dvd so the software must be able to do that.

I am currently using Pinnacle ultimate studio 12 and am not pleased with it at all.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Audio: Busman Mod R4/Busman R44/R09/Korg D1600 multi/Alesis Masterlink 9600 "Jim Williams Mod'd(audio upgrades).
Mics: Oktava 319's Mike Joly PE mod'd/Avantone ck1'bs/ Adk
Video:Panny ag-hmc-150/ Canon Hv30 (2x)/Canon Hg20/Jag35pro Dof adaptor/Vegas pro 9.0e 64 bit/Sony PS3
PC: Intel i7 920/Win 7 64bit //2TB/Buffalo 1TB /LG Blu-ray recorder

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Best software for editing Dual HD camera shoot.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »
while I don't use it for HD/blueray Sony Vegas 8 is excellent for editing multi cam mixes.  it's as easy as a click of the mouse to change between cams.  it does support HD 1080 and rendering to blueray format.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »
Thread Highjack (sorry!)

I can't answer your question, but I have one myself about the HV30.  I just got one.  Haven't used it yet.  Wanted to know what settings you used for concert videotaping.

I'll probably be using mostly for large shows - shooting video from the cheap seats.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
let me know how that works using the HV30 --I have had one for some time now.  It works great.  Maybe drop the shutter a bit, not great in low light as it appears maybe its just me but HD seems to need more Light? than dv? just an observation, no facts.

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
My only experience has come with Final Cut Pro's "Multi-Cam" feature.  Obviously this is for Mac, not PC.  If I'm not mistaken, that provides challenges for directly going to Blu-Ray.  Adobe Premier CS3 says it can do that, but its features are limited.  Here's an October 2008 article from VideoMaker:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/13595/

Ken Stone's site also offers up a step-by-step FCP/Blu-Ray article:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/blu-ray_fcp_fields.html

As for my experience with FCP, it was a 5 camera shoot at a concert, all HD.  Edited on a Mac Powerbook with 8GB memory, it allowed the editor to take a very simple but powerful approach. 

Maybe it would be valuable in this thread to explain how it worked -- which is probably at least similar in other edit programs, like Vegas.   I watched as an experienced editor rolled through the process:

• All 5 scenes are imported
• A synchronized IN point is set in all 5 based on an audio cue (a unique drumbeat in this case)
• Multi-Cam edit is selected
• In this case, one camera was selected for audio track, the others were video-only
• All of the scenes display in a window as 5 boxes of rolling video (in preview resolution, of course)
• The editor clicks on one of those boxes to indicate what is taken on the timeline, much like a director would use a "switcher" to choose the shots being taken in a live broadcast.  All remain in preview.
• As the edit is made, all of the synchronized video is rolling at the same time so if the scene is 10 minutes long, the edit process takes 10 minutes (until you go back and add any changes)

It was an impressive edit display.  The editor can go back on the timeline and reset the "live" choices or take it out of Multi-Cam edit and add cutaways from any of the imported clips.  So long as  you remain in Multi-Cam edit mode, all of the clips must remain synchronized. 

I'm going to try this in the coming week with a three camera shoot and audio track from a translator that has to be mixed.   There was no camera on the translator, just an audio recording -- and I'm seriously wishing we had used a clapboard to create a clear audio IN point.  (My Farsi is non-existent ;-)

But again, I'm not planning on trying to push this out to Blu-Ray.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com