Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home stereo questions  (Read 5674 times)

Offline rhett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Home stereo questions
« on: August 09, 2004, 07:02:26 PM »
I am in the process of putting together a new home system that will NOT be used for a home theater.  There will be no TV hooked in to this. I was interested in hearing peoples opinions in a few areas.

1. The whole power thing.  When you go into a high end dealer they immediately show you a 1300 dolar receiver that is rated at 50 watts per channel and tell you it has more power than a 600 dollar 100 watts per channel receiver. I dont get it. Also what about integrated preamps?

2. Speakers -I know that it is based on what you like but just looking for opinions.

3. CD players - the hight end ones cost 600 bucks.  Single tray.  is there that much of a difference between a 600 dollar single tray vs a 300 dollar denon 5 cd changer?

Any inputs is greatly appreciated.

Rhett
Pittsburgh

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re: Home stereo questions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 07:08:59 PM »
i predict this will be moved
we all live downstream.

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:37:57 PM »
well its gonna get moved, but what the hell. ill take a shot.

1. Power is more than just wpc.  Power is clenliness, warmth, coloration, tone, etc.  Better components =more expensive.  I generally dont like integrated pres, see below for my reasoning.

2. I like the b&w nautilus series, the magnepan, wilson audio stuff.  

3. Yes there is a difference.  The difference comes in jitter, speed of transfer, laser alignment, etc.  BTW, the high end cd players arent 600 bucks, they are more like 2k.  I know, I was looking at the new Arcam that came out about 6 mo ago.  I'm not a fan of multidisc changers and here is why- I am under the impression that it is better to have something that does one thing really well than a lot of things poorly.  That being said, there are many affordable options out there for CD transports.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 07:40:13 PM »
price range? that would help a lot!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »
price range? that would help a lot!

you of all people should know that price range changes once you start listening :-)

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 07:44:07 PM »
who, me? ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline rhett

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »
So this is my first post so Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, my apologies.

So price range would be helpful eh?

1.  I would like to get a good stereo receiver for 600-1000 bucks.  Can it be done?
2. The wife says no to floor speakers so I have been looking at bookshelfs in the 500 -1200 range.

I khave looked at
B and W
Phase tech
mirage
energy and polk audio

so farI liked the phasetech

Rhett

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 07:47:48 PM »
good receivers come in that range.  the nad's are good, the denons are nice.

as per speakers, look towards paradigm as well.  i have a pair of b&w nautilus 805s.  wonderful speakers.  Also talk to the woman about magnepans- they can be wall mounted.

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 07:49:26 PM »
alright, that's a decent budget...

one suggestion is to start looking at used gear, you can stretch your dollars farther.

one tip, with bookshelves you'll probably want a sub... just something else to budget for.

www.audiogon.com
www.audioreview.com

they will be your friends!

BobW

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 08:16:18 PM »
Or a different take:

How about a pair of Mackie or Tannoy or better yet, Adam,  powered near-fields ? A Benchmark D/A ?  And a DAW feeding them ?
And certainly some good room baffles to tighten up the bass and reduce reflections.

It makes for a personal listening experience for one, or perhaps for two very friendly folks, tops.
Definately no fun for a party.

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »
i would nix the mackie.  never heard a pair of mackie monitors that sound remotely clear

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 06:37:24 AM »
I've got a Manley Stingray for sale.  Its brand new, still in the box.
www.manleylabs.com  check it out..!  $1750 shipped. ($2150 MSRP)
pretty sweet high-end sexy tubes! 
sorry for the shamless plug, now for some real suggestions....

I can't help but recomend the Sony STR-DA2000ES.  I think it runs about $4-500 new.  120wpc digital amp.
Its a 7.1 reciever...not what you want, I know..but it SMOKES in 2 channel direct mode.  You have to hear a broken in one to really "hear" it, but  I'd be willing to bet anything that it will run circles around anything else that was mentioned.  + it is ready for HT when you are.  It is almost crazy sounding performance for the money.
I was a non-believer until I bought, broke in and really listened to the DA3000ES, which is the same thing but w/a little more power.
If you live anywhere in New England and want to hear one, you're welcome to come over for a test drive.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 06:42:09 AM »
plus, I forgot to mention..
you wouldn't need an outboard DAC or a good CD player w/the Sony.
It has a great sounding DAC in it that just works real nice w/the rest of the internal guts.  Just feed it a digital signal and you are golden.
Say a Toshiba 4960 univesal deck (DVD-A, SACD, CD, DVD..etc) for $140 and buy a good used S/PDIF cable (say another $100) and you would have a very pleasing system.

Speakers...
that's harder to pick out.
I'm a big fan of the von schweikert line.  the VR1 monitors go for about $500 used and are very available on audiogon

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 11:35:15 AM »
fwiw - I'm thinking of moving towards the Sony str-da2000es and the Toshiba 4960...

I need to hear the sony to be sure but it sounds like a great budget piece...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 11:48:25 AM »
Tim:

Drop by :)

I run the sony strda5000es, which is closer to $1k -- it has the same feature set as the 2000, but the power jumps to 170watts per channel.  I have  a biggish room and thought the additional power would be a good idea -- don't know if the 2000es would have worked just as well for me -- all I know is this thing sure sounds CLEAN when cranked loud.

Can't stress enough how much I enjoy the musicality of this piece -- real glad Nick is agreeing with my assessments so far.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »
http://www.solspeak.com/sol_products.php

Yea, what he said.  If you're willing to move towards the upper end of your speaker budget, I'd really recommend my set up:  Soliloquy Sat 5 bookshelf speakers + a pinnacle baby boomer sub.  This is a very nice sounding combo and comes in a very small, wife friendly format.

The Sat 5's are Soliliquy's smallest offering.  They use the same drivers as the 5.0's and 5.3's, but come in a small, sealed enclosure.  The sealed enclosure allows them to be placed on bookshelves or right up next to the wall and they still sound good (don't do this with rear ported speakers).  They have the really sweet sound of soliloquys, but will need a subwoofer.

I'd recommend the Pinnacle babyboomer (or perhaps the smaller subsonic).  The babyboomer uses 2  8" woofer arranged in a bipolar configuration--make it very fast, and hence very musical.  Great for 2-channel music, and it is a tiny 10"x10"x10" cube.  Very easy to hide under an end table and get it out of sight (ie, very wife friendly).  You might also look into the subsonic that is built on the same bi-polar design with 6.5" drivers--only 8x8x8 (and comes in white).

I just recently came across a place that sold the babyboomer for $500, but I can't find it now.  On a quick search, the best I found was this:
http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/pinnaclesub.html

$500 for the subsonic, $700 for the babyboomer.  You might also look into the Sunfire true sub jr, same design idea but a bit more expensive.

Underwood Hifi (find them on audiogon.com) used to sell the Sat 5's for $425 a pair, which was a steal.  Everywhere else seems to have them for $650.

So for just under $1200 you could get the Sat 5s and subsonic easily, or if you hunt around, you might be able to get the sat 5's + the babyboomer for about $1000.  Really, this is a very nice sounding package, and if you're in the same boat as me, very wife-friendly.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
Found the retailer for the babyboomer.  $483, no idea if this is a reputable dealer:
http://www.123av.com/DetailPage.asp?ProductID=BABYBOOMER

Underwood Hifi is:   www.underwoodhifi.com -- you'll have to call Walter to see what kind of deals on Sat 5s he has going.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 11:52:56 AM »
Soliloquoy are made here in Raleigh, NC - funny, I called the factory to price the other day...

Anyways, they ahve lots of scratch and dents there on sale cheap...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 05:19:27 PM »
Soliloquoy are made here in Raleigh, NC - funny, I called the factory to price the other day...

Anyways, they ahve lots of scratch and dents there on sale cheap...

Terry

I am in the market for new speakers. What kinda pricing were they giving? Shoot me a PM if you want.

Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.254 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com