Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Help needed with taping strategy!

(1/8) > >>

Pieteker:
Hi,

I'm recording Keane again in April at a sold-out show at Palladium, Cologne, Germany. I want to improve my positioning; the other day, I recorded them in London at a packed Shepherd's Bush Empire but felt like a sardine trapped in a small bowl. The recording had A LOT of crowd noise (chatting, screaming, singing), and I want to minimize this on my next attempt.

So, judging from the picture below of the Palladium, my best bet to get a decent recording is either standing behind the mixing panel behind the bars or going to the balcony on either side in line with one of the big PA speakers.

What should I do, seeing that all the experience is right here?

Pieter

stl_oni:
I hate recording at the Palladium. At the back (either in front or behind the mixing desk) you get lots of reverb plus people talking and rushing to the bar the whole time. I try to get on the balcony or up front on the floor in line with one of the speakers on the left or the right, not more than 15-25 rows back from the front. You can grab good recordings with omnis that way, even better with cards. Never used hypers from the back at the mixing desk,
Might work, but still lots of reverb as it is just a crappy sounding venue the more you get to the back. Good luck!

Pieteker:
Thank you!

rocksuitcase:
Oddball idea: make a stack tape. Walk up and face the speaker in the balcony from about 10-15 feet away. You will look odd facing the speaker, but that will be an optimal way to reduce crowd chatter and pick up direct sound from the speaker. Of course, if this band has lots of stereo effects and you know they mix in stereo, then my advice is wrong. One of my finest recordings I ever made in the 40 years of doing this was from about 6 feet from a Meyer UPA-1 in a balcony. We took over the front table and set the mics up almost as if we were close micing onstage!
Rock on!

edited for spelling

DavidPuddy:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on March 05, 2024, 09:39:41 AM ---Oddball idea: make a stack tape. Walk up and face the speaker in the balcony from about 10-15 feet away. You will look odd facing the speaker, but that will be an optimal way to reduce crowd chatter and pick up direct sound from the speaker. Of course, if this band has lots of stereo effects and you know they mix in stereo, then my advice is wrong. One of my finest recordings veer made in the 40 years of doing this was from about 6 feet from a Meyer UPA-1 in a balcony. We took over the front table and set the mics up almost as if we were close micing onstage!
Rock on!

--- End quote ---

Even more oddball idea: Enlist a friend to help and each of you do a mono recording of one L/R stack   :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version