Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fixing an akg h-15/9 mount (for the akg c422 mic)  (Read 8897 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
fixing an akg h-15/9 mount (for the akg c422 mic)
« on: July 13, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »
the rubber bands broke/rotted and the thing that tightens the "gooseneck"(sic) failed to hold the mount in place. the former happened because of age, the latter happened because the screw was stripped...

nobody was able to tell me where to find replacement rubber bands, in fact, google pulled this thread up for me, so i i knew i was not alone on my quest. i also knew i likely wasnt going to find an official replacement part. so i went to home depot looking for o rings; i found them in sink repair. the ones that were closest in size were found in the "MO-5" kit which is an "o" ring repair kit for moen single handle spouts. the rings in the kit are a touch bigger than the rings that came with my akg mount, but the fact that the rings are a bit loose is advantageous in two ways - the extra play in the bands allows the mic to balance itself, which means it tends to always be facing directly upright, even if the mount is a bit off; also, the extra slack allows for easier use of the thumb screw...

in that thread i referenced above, one of the posters identified the size of the "thumb" screw that goes through the small ring on the mount and actually attaches to the rear of the mic. the size is 6mm-1.0; a 12mm hexbolt replacement does the trick nicely. using the bolt is nice because there is no guesswork spinning the mic around in the mount - the zero degree marker is in the front, and the screw hole is in the rear of the mic. i have noticed that to run blumlein, you have to rotate the bottom head to the 45 degree position, putting the zero position in the front, and the ninety degree position of the top cap actually 45 degrees off the center...

finally, the gooseneck screw was stripped (from overuse, i assume) so it was worthless, and wouldnt hold the mount in place. i jury-rigged it with a wingnut, but found out the hard way (in the field) that this was a temporary fix. when searching for the wingnut, i found that the size of the gooseneck screw is 4mm. the one that comes with the mount has a handle so you can hand tighten; the cap screw socket (16mm in length) that i replaced it with needs an allen key (7/64 sae works) to tighten. the 4mm capscrew fits the threads on the inside holes of the gooseneck perfectly. the only drawback to this is that the screw needs to be tightened/loosened with an allen key, which i will have to keep in my gear bag at all times, but i prefer that to a screw driver (even though i have both in the tool pocket of my gear bag :P ).

hth (i will post pics later; edited to add link to the akg bbs thread)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:55:36 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: fixing an akg h-15/9 mount (for the akg c422 mic)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
ok, well the capscrew didnt work as well as i would have liked... i guess the threads in the two side holes of the mount are stripped, and that is causiing the problem... anyway, a longer (30mm) flat slotted screw (4mm - 7) works with a wingnut and two washers. now, hopefully, i will be cool because the tension is caused by the screw/wingnut/washers not screw/mount holes (that i believe are damaged). no screw driver needed, either - loosening and tightening can all be done with the wingnut...

pictures to follow.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.293 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com