Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wiring Core Sound Binuarals?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Wiring Core Sound Binuarals?
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:04:53 AM »
I got a set of core sound binuarals from a board member and trying to repair them, they had worn scrathy wires at the mini jack and the 4 pin plug, mini jack easy enough but being an idiot i took apart the 4 pin plug, cut off behind the bad part of the cable and unsoldered the 4 wires and ground, now i forgot to write down which wire went where, anyone have a clue, after my first attempt, two mics into one channel, thought i would ask before i do this multiple times.

Here is basically how the pins line up looking at the soldering points, there is a red and white from the 1/8 plug and a red and white from the mics..........where the heck do they go?

O    O    O

O
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:22:03 AM by Darktrain »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: Wiring Core Sound Binuarals?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »
Ok i tracked down what model plug it was but how do i determine pin assignments, here is how they are numbered

3              1
                         O              O
                               4 O

2 O

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:15:55 PM »
I got a set of core sound binuarals from a board member and trying to repair them, they had worn scrathy wires at the mini jack and the 4 pin plug, mini jack easy enough but being an idiot i took apart the 4 pin plug, cut off behind the bad part of the cable and unsoldered the 4 wires and ground, now i forgot to write down which wire went where, anyone have a clue, after my first attempt, two mics into one channel, thought i would ask before i do this multiple times.

Here is basically how the pins line up looking at the soldering points, there is a red and white from the 1/8 plug and a red and white from the mics..........where the heck do they go?

O    O    O

O

You need the battery box.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:27:22 PM »
i have the battery box, i just need the info to rewire the female plug attached to the 1/8 plug and mics

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
i have the battery box, i just need the info to rewire the female plug attached to the 1/8 plug and mics
If you have a meter and the battery box put a battery inside the box and measure between the shell and a pin until you get a voltage that will be your mic side. Once you find both sets of pins that have 9 volts on them the remaining two pins will be output. You just have to trace what side is what with your eyes.

As I remember it P1 is mic in 1 P2 is mic out1 P3 is mic in 2 P4 is mic out 2. But that could be reversed. The shell of the connector is a common ground. One of the reasons why this fails is the shell was never designed to be a signal ground. Only a shield so the internal press fit connection gets oxidised and the mics start to crackle.

I replace every one of these with a 5 pin connector so I can use a pin not the connector shell for signal ground. I then ground the case so the ground pin so the shield is 100% that makes it much more reliable. I also hot glue the caps so they dont float around inside and become un soldered.. Many companies use this connector and make the mistake of using the shell as a signal ground. It was never designed for that and its only a press fit ground connection this will lead to loud pops and crackles because your disconnecting the supply voltage to your mics when you move the connector around in the case of an oxidised press fit ground / strain relief this could also lead to damage of the microphones them selves by constantly removing the bias voltage and reintroducing it not to mention the increased signal to noise ratio due to the fact that there is resistance now between the mics ground and the output.

Chris

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
Thanks Chris, found the problem, just like you said one of those contacts came lose inside the BB

+T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com