Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your favorite Mics? Why?  (Read 28237 times)

Offline tapersaregeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Your favorite Mics? Why?
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
Definitely the Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Condenser Microphone! Hands down! ;D

You are kidding, aren't you? Since you're a newbie, you may not be. Do some research on the forum and try something like a Church Audio CA-14 or CA-11. Doesn't cost a whole lot more and the difference is amazing. For one thing, you'll now have bass in your recordings and being able to separate the mics improves the sound stage.

Actually, I wasn't kidding! That was my mic for 6 years! I just got some Core Sound Binaurals in the mail which I haven't used yet which might have been a bad choice judging from a lot of the comments I've read on here about it. I'm definitely thinking of getting a set of Church Audio mics now...

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
Definitely the Sony ECM-MS907 Stereo Condenser Microphone! Hands down! ;D

You are kidding, aren't you? Since you're a newbie, you may not be. Do some research on the forum and try something like a Church Audio CA-14 or CA-11. Doesn't cost a whole lot more and the difference is amazing. For one thing, you'll now have bass in your recordings and being able to separate the mics improves the sound stage.

Actually, I wasn't kidding! That was my mic for 6 years! I just got some Core Sound Binaurals in the mail which I haven't used yet which might have been a bad choice judging from a lot of the comments I've read on here about it. I'm definitely thinking of getting a set of Church Audio mics now...

Core Sounds do have their place in recording, it's just not in music. I would use them for amplifying a meeting or vocal stuff, they just don't have the response needed for a good audio recording. Good luck in your search for your favorite mics. Mics are like ice cream, everyone has their own favorite flavor.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
I'm definitely thinking of getting a set of Church Audio mics now...
You'll love them. They can't be beat for the money.

Depending on your recorder, you may need a battery box to power them. Most of the most popular recorders, including the M10 and R-09HR won't properly power the CA-14's without a battery box (the only recommendable recorder that will power them without a battery box is the Marantz PMD620). Both of the recorders mentioned will power the CA-11's though, but some won't. 
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Myco

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
I actually have heard good things about Chris's mics and have recommended them, but that isn't my quote, i'm not in the market for any more mics right now. Try Chris's mics though.  ;)
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline tapersaregeeks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Core Sounds do have their place in recording, it's just not in music. I would use them for amplifying a meeting or vocal stuff, they just don't have the response needed for a good audio recording. Good luck in your search for your favorite mics. Mics are like ice cream, everyone has their own favorite flavor.

Actually, you're the guy that alerted me to the fact that I might not have made the best purchase by what you said about csbs on the Primus bullboard!

At any rate I guess they probably are a bit of an upgrade from an ECM-MS907 though which is good for now. I'll use them until I get some Church Audio mics and then I'll keep them for a back up set or sell them.

I'm using an Edirol-R09HR and the core sound battery box with the bass roll off. I read someone mention that with the csbs they always use bass roll-off. Does that sound right?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:56:34 PM by tapersaregeeks »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

Actually, you're the guy that alerted me to the fact that I might not have made the best purchase by what you said about csbs on the Primus bullboard!

At any rate I guess they probably are a bit of an upgrade from an ECM-MS907 though which is good for now. I'll use them until I get some Church Audio mics and then I'll keep them for a back up set or sell them.

I'm using an Edirol-R09HR and the core sound battery box with the bass roll off. I read someone mention that with the csbs they always use bass roll-off. Does that sound right?
I would put the ECM, Core sound and CA in a similar category.  They are all budget mics, and all sound reasonable.  The ECM is pretty good as a "single point" mic, while the others are more suitable to wear (hidden) on your person.  The main problem I have with the CSB is the price.  It is something like $200, right?  That is too much money for low end gear IMO.  Oh yeah, the ECM and CA are both directional, which helps reduce crowd noise, so they should both be preferred over the CSB.

RIchard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
I would put the ECM, Core sound and CA in a similar category.  They are all budget mics, and all sound reasonable. 
I'm really surprised by this statement since I've learned so much over the years from studying illconditioned's posts.

I guess it's all a matter of our opinions, but the Sony 907 was the first mic I ever used (for about a year). My old recordings made with it are still enjoyable to listen to, but to my ears even the CA-11's (let alone the CA-14's blow it away). Not much bass from the Sony among other issues.

I never used the Coresounds, and never would due to the price and customer service, but in my opinion, the CA-14's, though budget priced, sound way better than that and far outclass the Sony.  To me they are budget mics that don't sound like budget mics. I've recorded in the same venue with both CA-14's and with huge Studio Projects CS5's and they both sound equally good to me.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Myco

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »

Well I do hope you find what you like. That particular discussion got out of hand. There are many knowledgeable people here that would be happy to help you out. Any way I can help out just let me know.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »
I would put the ECM, Core sound and CA in a similar category.  They are all budget mics, and all sound reasonable. 
I'm really surprised by this statement since I've learned so much over the years from studying illconditioned's posts.

I guess it's all a matter of our opinions, but the Sony 907 was the first mic I ever used (for about a year). My old recordings made with it are still enjoyable to listen to, but to my ears even the CA-11's (let alone the CA-14's blow it away). Not much bass from the Sony among other issues.

I agree the Sony lacks bass, but overall clarity or detail is OK IMO.

OK, let me say a few mics that are a step up, particularly in the level of detail: Sennheiser MKE2 (omni), Sennheiser MKE40 (cardioid, but lacking in bass).  Both of those have more detail, and I use both regularly.

Richard

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:46:00 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline tapersaregeeks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:54 PM »
Thanks to everyone for there great suggestions. I've decided to return the csbs since they have a trial period of a month for getting your money back.

I want to go with some Church Audio mics but all there is for sale on the website are:

CA-10, CAFS and CA 11 Cardioid

I tape mostly loud rock and hip-hop shows, from small clubs to hockey arenas.

What do you think would be the best choice of those, for me?

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »
Check out his thread in the retail space section.
Sales for August is the name of the thread.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136212.0
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Myco

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone for there great suggestions. I've decided to return the csbs since they have a trial period of a month for getting your money back.

I want to go with some Church Audio mics but all there is for sale on the website are:

CA-10, CAFS and CA 11 Cardioid

I tape mostly loud rock and hip-hop shows, from small clubs to hockey arenas.

What do you think would be the best choice of those, for me?

If you end up using the Church Audio mics to tape a Primus show I'd be real interested to hear it. If you have any questions on tracking out and uploading the show afterwards I'd be happy to help you out.

Offline tapersaregeeks

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
If you end up using the Church Audio mics to tape a Primus show I'd be real interested to hear it. If you have any questions on tracking out and uploading the show afterwards I'd be happy to help you out.

I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to go see Primus without Tim Alexander on drums. That would be like going to see Led Zeppelin without John Bonham on drums! I've only ever seen Primus with Tim so I don't know if I want to see them without. I am going to watch the webcast tomorrow night on iClips though and I guess I'll decide after that.

Offline Myco

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »

I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to go see Primus without Tim Alexander on drums. That would be like going to see Led Zeppelin without John Bonham on drums! I've only ever seen Primus with Tim so I don't know if I want to see them without. I am going to watch the webcast tomorrow night on iClips though and I guess I'll decide after that.

;)  Jay Lane is rippin' it this tour though.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
Audix m1280/HC running into a V2

I love the mics for their size and I think the mids and highs are really on point.

I've also owned 853s and 480/ck61, but my little micros scratch me where I itch!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com