Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Your opinion -- how much do cables matter?  (Read 9966 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re:Your opinion -- how much do cables matter?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2004, 10:36:53 AM »
i work an 8hr day, then a 13hr day, then a 12hr day, then an 7hr day, then 3 days off...every week.  its nice, but is real tiring at the end of the stretch, but getting friday, sat, sunday off each week is worth it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2004, 03:30:11 PM »
heres hoping the X Streams are great cables...hopefully someone is accepting my bid for a pair of 15'ers!
(fingers crossed)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2004, 05:40:43 PM »
I'm happy to make cables for anyone, I lik it - it is fun...  Although I think you should learn how to do it yourself...

Buy from Markertek, mail me the pieces and in a few days I'll return your cables to you...  All you need to do is B&P style the cables, send along a return mailer...

And some SHNs of any show you have taped woul dbe nice too...

PM me if you want me to build some cables for you!  I'm getting ready to make 90>90 Canare 1' adapter cables for my 25' straight Canare cable...  If I ever need a 90 end, just snap one of these puppies on there!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2004, 02:58:46 PM »
the amount a person thinks cables make a difference is directly related to how much said person has spent on cables.  

seriously though ... cables make a diference  to a point  but your playback system might not readily reflect  the difference between $100 cables and $1000 cables

I personally would put the money elsewhere  but YMMV

on a side note   on a dvd forum I frequent some guy built a cable and included a rusty nail in the chain (seriously!!)  9\ 10 audio philes couldnt tell the difference between the cable with the nail and a store bought monster cable.

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

jpschust

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2004, 05:55:48 PM »
I'm happy to make cables for anyone, I lik it - it is fun...  Although I think you should learn how to do it yourself...

Buy from Markertek, mail me the pieces and in a few days I'll return your cables to you...  All you need to do is B&P style the cables, send along a return mailer...

And some SHNs of any show you have taped woul dbe nice too...

PM me if you want me to build some cables for you!  I'm getting ready to make 90>90 Canare 1' adapter cables for my 25' straight Canare cable...  If I ever need a 90 end, just snap one of these puppies on there!

Terry

Terry, if you find building cables so fun, I've got about 8 8channel snakes I need built :-P  Do 128 connectors (8 snakes of 8 channels each, two connectors on each end) then lemme know how fun it is :-P

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2004, 09:10:57 PM »
I think cables fall into the category of "deminishing returns".     The ratio of money spent to bettering the sound is low compared to other gear.

If you go from a $300 pre to a $1500 pre you'll probably hear much more of a differance than you will between a $100 pair of cables and a $500 pair.

To me "worth it" depends on how much disposable income you have for taping.  If I had the money for a pair of  AM Excalibur IIs I'd be happy to have them in my bag!! :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2004, 11:09:28 AM »
I don't think cables play that much of a role in live PA recording. Too noisy as it is to notice what cables can offer to you. Real quiet ambient type recording where line noise can be easily heard, then maybe high end cables are going to do the trick....but not in the environments we tape in. Just IMO, shit I am still pissed I had to spend $500 on actives for the schoeps...but I did it for the smaller foot priint, not any gains in sound from better cables.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:12 AM »

>>on a side note  on a dvd forum I frequent some guy built a cable and included a rusty nail in the chain (seriously!!)  9\ 10 audio philes couldnt tell the difference between the cable with the nail and a store bought monster cable.
<<

that just proves that monster cables suck!  ;D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »

Terry, if you find building cables so fun, I've got about 8 8channel snakes I need built :-P  Do 128 connectors (8 snakes of 8 channels each, two connectors on each end) then lemme know how fun it is :-P

Hahaha!  Yeah, cables are fun...  What you are proposing is not a cable, but a headache!!!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2004, 01:47:20 PM »
I've got a great set of 15ft Zaollas I'm looking to sell if anyone is interested (I moved to actives w/ my Schoeps).  FWIW, I agree that I would upgrade components before cables, but a nice set of cables definitely makes a difference, especially in the tightness of the low end.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2004, 01:53:53 PM »
I recently acquired a set of audio magics and a set of zaollas that are on the way to me.  I am looking forward to see what the impact is to the rig...I am also going to run some comps against both and see what I prefer...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 04:50:51 PM »
x streams?  i'm not sold on the x streams yet, but from the excalibur II up i think the cables are sweeet.  just gotta find that sweet deal

(i have nothing against x streams, i just haven't ever compared them to anything else like i have the excaliburs, spellcaster and sorcerers)

interested to hear your thoughts
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:51:30 PM by scott brown »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 05:19:59 PM »
So I dont think that these are the xstreams.  The guy that sold them told me that

"These are the first ones Audio Magic came out with. They have the clear cover over the silver braided cable. The ones that are really stiff"

So I have not followed Audio Magic much, but got a good deal on this set of 25 foot cables...

I will be interested to see the results of the tests between these and the zaolla's though...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2004, 11:24:51 AM »
so I did some researching and the Audio Magic cables that I bought (referenced above) are apparently the Sceptor II's, which if I am reading correctly were out before the X-streams...so we shall see how they stack up against the Zaolla's

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2004, 07:47:26 AM »
i have the older jackets on the mic cables too, purchased in 99, they arent as flexible as more recent AM's x-streamz im told ;)

remember phil lucks trying out some white AM's awhile back, hmmmmm  :hmmm:,wonder what happened to those,PAGING PHIL ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com