Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: X-Y bar for Schoeps MK4/41  (Read 6165 times)

Offline jlizard1969

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
X-Y bar for Schoeps MK4/41
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »
Is there a microphone bar similar to the Schoeps ORTF bar (STC 4G) but is X-Y in pattern and is very obtrusive like the DPA CXO4000 Compact XY/ORTF Stereo Holder but hold the diameter of Schoeps 4/41 capsules?
Stealth: Microtech Gefells M20 Cardiod caps>JK Labs DVC>SBM-1>Sony D7
           AKG ck63 Hypercard caps>JK Labs DVC>SBM-1>Sony D7
Open: DPA 4011's/Microtech Gefells SMS2000>Sound devices 744T

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: X-Y bar for Schoeps MK4/41
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
Interesting question: What's the minimum visual obstruction possible for this specific type of setup?

I assume you want this to be mountable on a conventional mike stand, perhaps via a 3/8" threaded socket.

I'm interested in this as well. Might be a nice project for someone with a 3-D printer. There are also some pre-existing Schoeps parts (e.g. "SGC" stand clamps) that might be used to make construction easier.

But there would need to be a variety of models for different angles between the axes of the capsules, since that also affects the distance between the "holders". Cardioids at only 90 degrees--bah, humbug! 90 degrees is for figure-8s. The -3 dB point of a cardioid is nominally 131 degrees from its main axis, and life begins at 120 degrees as far as I'm concerned. With "quasisupercardioids" such as the MK 41 (which technically is between super- and hypercardioid, but considerably closer to super-), I'd want the angle to be 100 degrees or even a tad more.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »
I would check in on the "got ORTF" thread in the retail section. The gentleman can do almost anything custom via 3d printing, looks like the perfect soloution for you.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
There has been one developed by srscpa in the Got ORTF thread. This thread has srscpa designing mounts that are then 3D printed by separate source - Shapeways. I requested a MK41 XY mount and he had a design for it the next day. I have not however ordered it yet. I decided that I wanted something with some vertical space so that I could use it with wind screens. I have inquired about it and just need to decide how much space I need for the screens. I'll likely do 1/2" or 1", need to check out my big DPA screens with dead rats to see what will work.

Here is a link to that thread for reference:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170480.135

And a link to the XY mount on his Shapeways site:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/D34694GSJ/x-y-clip-for-schoeps-w-active-cables?li=shareProduct

I think this is a really cool service he is offering for a reasonable price.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »
WTF Brothers, Schoeps?  ;)
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
WTF Brothers, Schoeps?  ;)
Yeah, they don't actually "belong" to me but I've been using them the last few years.  ;)  The B&Ks have been on the shelf for the last year or so with a sort in the cable, just got them back from Denmark with all new cables and they are ready to mix with the Schoeps again  8)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
I've had that damn cable short three or four times, pain in the ass. I've opted for the cheaper Co,or ado fix, they trim a bit of cable for around 200 but probably bite the bullet next time around and send them to Denmark. Glad you have the DPAs back. I like to run my buddy's 41s once in a while to remind me why I have DPAs. ;)
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jlizard1969

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the posts. It's appreciated
Stealth: Microtech Gefells M20 Cardiod caps>JK Labs DVC>SBM-1>Sony D7
           AKG ck63 Hypercard caps>JK Labs DVC>SBM-1>Sony D7
Open: DPA 4011's/Microtech Gefells SMS2000>Sound devices 744T

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:49 AM »
Is there a microphone bar similar to the Schoeps ORTF bar (STC 4G) but is X-Y in pattern and is very obtrusive like the DPA CXO4000 Compact XY/ORTF Stereo Holder but hold the diameter of Schoeps 4/41 capsules?

How about this?

These are all individually printed - I have ORTF ones for my Gefell M300s and Sennheiser MKH 8040s.

There is an XY or ORTF or DIN clip for a very large range of microphones.

See HERE

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
..... The -3 dB point of a cardioid is nominally 131 degrees from its main axis,
Apologies for arriving late to this thread and also dragging it nit-pickingly OT, but it occurred to me that the above statement wording is liable ht get misinterpreted by some folks.
A sngle ideal "V =  0.5 + 0.f.cosΘ" cardioid has an off-axis response of 6.02dB at 90° and 15.29dB at 131°. The 3.01dB voltage drop is at 65.5°. What you intended was that a cardioid _array_ will need to be splayed at 131° to result in a centred sound source being 3.01 dB down. Right? I agree with your views on the appropriate array angling

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Certainly I didn't mean that the cardioids should be angled apart at two times 131 degrees--which, being greater than a straight angle, would mean that both microphones would be facing away from the sound sources.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

How about this?

These are all individually printed - I have ORTF ones for my Gefell M300s and Sennheiser MKH 8040s.

There is an XY or ORTF or DIN clip for a very large range of microphones.

See HERE
I have one of these on order and will shoot some photos out with mics in it once I have it.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:40 AM »
Those nylon mounts are freakin awesome! I might grab 1 or 2 just to have something different. And they look small enough that carrying a couple wouldn't eat up too much space in your bag! And I'm glad that he switched from white to black nylon. Much easier on the eyes IMO! Overall, they seem like a great product for our little niche market and are reasonably priced. Maybe one day they can be made from delrin? 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »
Anyone see a reason why something for the 402x DPA line couldn't be whipped up?  I loath their "official" X-Y option.  I don't want to waste their time if we think the form factor to be problematic.  The web site has many makes but they're all of the pencil body type, understandably.  Thnx

Yep. Mounts are roughly the #1 thing (and almost only thing) I dislike about that line.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com