Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam Portacapture X8

<< < (5/14) > >>

WiFiJeff:

--- Quote from: voltronic on December 22, 2021, 06:13:30 AM ---
It's a shame that they couldn't use the preamps from the 100 mkIII, but I suspect that's in large part due to the chip shortage, and why the 100 mkIII was discontinued in the first place.

--- End quote ---

??   The S/N ratio for the Portacapture X8 looks to be the same as for the 100 mkIII, not the D70. 

WiFiJeff:
B&H has just moved the expected arrival date for this from end of December to end of January.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: WiFiJeff on December 22, 2021, 09:42:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: voltronic on December 22, 2021, 06:13:30 AM ---
It's a shame that they couldn't use the preamps from the 100 mkIII, but I suspect that's in large part due to the chip shortage, and why the 100 mkIII was discontinued in the first place.

--- End quote ---

??   The S/N ratio for the Portacapture X8 looks to be the same as for the 100 mkIII, not the D70.

--- End quote ---

I was comparing the S/N ratio of the 100 mkIII against the 70D, to make the point that Tascam using the "HDDA" for all 3 of these units does not mean they are the same preamp circuit.

The statement you quoted about the X8 using different preamps than the 100 mkIII was based on comparing other specs between the two, but looking again it seems the X8 may be a bit better in a couple areas, namely max input level for mic inputs. I will edit to clarify.

illconditioned:
I'm interested in the circuit details.
My understanding was "HDDA" means (discrete) transistor pair in front of a preamp.A circuit like this, done right, can be pretty good.For example Behringer and many others have done this, long tailed pair, driven by a current source, input to a rather inexpensive opamp.

I noticed Sony PCM series use low noise, low voltage, rail to rail opamp AD8620 in their higher end units (D50 in particular).Some circuits are using instrumentation amplifiers eg., INA217, PGA2500, etc.

I am curious what circuit Sound devices uses.  Their old gear used transformer inputs.

H₂O:
I a pretty sure the first unit “HDDA” pre amps where on the HS-P82 and yes the use a discrete transistor pair in front of each channel.  Pretty sure the second was DR-70D then the DR-680mkII

I am sure the topology and/or component selection varies from unit to unit which would affect sound and performance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version