Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Tascam Portacapture X8

<< < (6/14) > >>

illconditioned:
Here is a nice article on the "long tail pair" circuits.
Interesting reading,
https://wiki.analog.com/university/courses/electronics/text/chapter-12

hoserama:
Received my X8 today, played with it a little during lunch.

Couple quick thoughts, more to come:
1. Size is not too bad. I shot some pictures comparing it to a Tascam 2D. Size-wise its a bit smaller than the H6 and better laid out. I could see myself stealth running a pair of the X8 for a total of 12 tracks, just wish I could timeclock sync them.
2. Bluetooth app seems to work alright. You have to re-initialize every time you switch to a different app. Kinda annoying but nothing killer.
3. Turning on the hold button works well for disabling the touchscreen and buttons. BUT IT ALSO LOCKS OUT THE CELL PHONE CONTROL. This is nuts in my opinion and I'm going to write to Tascam in my opinion. I think we all know how to lock our phone, and don't need the physical lock button to safeguard against the phone.

My Zoom F8 has a lock function, but you can still do everything on the phone once connected. Can anybody tell me if it's the same for the A10 or other cell phone controlled recorders?

gaijin:

--- Quote from: hoserama on January 24, 2022, 05:30:35 PM ---Received my X8 today, played with it a little during lunch.

Couple quick thoughts, more to come:
1. Size is not too bad. I shot some pictures comparing it to a Tascam 2D. Size-wise its a bit smaller than the H6 and better laid out. I could see myself stealth running a pair of the X8 for a total of 12 tracks, just wish I could timeclock sync them.
2. Bluetooth app seems to work alright. You have to re-initialize every time you switch to a different app. Kinda annoying but nothing killer.
3. Turning on the hold button works well for disabling the touchscreen and buttons. BUT IT ALSO LOCKS OUT THE CELL PHONE CONTROL. This is nuts in my opinion and I'm going to write to Tascam in my opinion. I think we all know how to lock our phone, and don't need the physical lock button to safeguard against the phone.

My Zoom F8 has a lock function, but you can still do everything on the phone once connected. Can anybody tell me if it's the same for the A10 or other cell phone controlled recorders?

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot for the early field report.  It seems you may be one of the first to have one in hand.

Regarding your question, I have used a lock function on several devices with Bluetooth control.  I have never experienced that also locking the remote app control. Definitely write Tascam - that is nuts!

Can you share what you mean by "re-initialize"?  I have dealt with some flaky connectivity in the past to various Bluetooth devices and this is giving me some concerns.  Any details you can share about what is going on when you reopen the app would be of interest.  Thanks in advance!

Lastly, any reports on responsiveness of the app?  From the early looks it appeared to be mirroring the screen to the app on the Android device and it looked rather sluggish once recording started (think input / display lag like a far away remote desktop connection on a PC).  Anything to report there from your experience?

Thanks again for sharing with us!

hoserama:
Likely going to do a practice show on Weds so will give it a good stress test then. I may be able to play around with it some more tomorrow.

Agreed--the lock function is whack!

hoserama:
Here's some picture comparisons with the Tascam 2D and the Zoom H6.

Very similar in size to the H6, just without the module on top (which does make it quite a bit bigger).

And a random picture of two of my cats, watching me while I fiddled with the X8 on the patio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version