Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax MiniR82: Report from my Padded Cell  (Read 8414 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Sonosax MiniR82: Report from my Padded Cell
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
You can run analog-in from either line-in or mic-in or both, but if you try to run a digital signal into 7&8 you will get an error message if there is no digital signal on 5&6.  I did not know this when I had the dongle wired, I thought I was adding versitility by having one RCA-in and one AES, but since it was wired with the RCA on 5&6 I have to use RCA first, no big deal, I just had to get an AES-to-RCA cable made.  I see no problem doing what you ask, you'll need Binder connectors wired to whatever cables your mic uses, and correctly pinned-out to provide phantom or not.  For a line feed you need a male 1/8" stereo plug from your preamp.  One really nice feature is that you can set the voltage for hitting 0dB, the factory default is 0 dBu, which is fine for my DPA/MMA6000, but for a hot mic into the DaviSound TB12 I was setting the knobs too far down, so I run it at +15 dBu (you can also choose +6 or -10 dBu).  The meters are about the best I've used in the quiet area, it shows every bit of noise so I've had to clean up some of my other equipment (DC correction for my V3 and replacement of noisy DC power stick with a clean one).  It is not so easy to use near clipping, as the scale is not as non-linear there as I'm used to.  With the DPA/MMA I have no trouble as I've got a pretty good grip on levels at this point, and don't have a way to check while running anyway.  WHile fooling around with other mics and preamps I tend to run too conservative.  The meter is always lit, easily  visible, it's just hard to tell when you are in the danger zone.  The problem is that there are no markings telling you where you are except for one line, default set to -9 dB.  I will probably move this to -6 dB as I think it will be more useful to me there.

Jeff

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 05:29:32 PM »
Jeff,

You mentioned you got the lemo to binder cables made by an outside source.  Care to share that with us?

+T Thanks for the pictures, it is really clean looking.

ANDY

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
I bought the Sonosax through Frank at Cascade, he had the cables made up for me.  I also had Chris at Sound Professionals wire his small battery box which powers AT943s etc. with dual Binder-out short cables (he wired some ATs direct with Binders, but the 3.3V on the Sonosax is not plug-in power and when we asked Sonosax about how to use it they discouraged it, though I bet you could use it with some resisters properly placed), the battery box is actually a whole lot more flexible in what it lets me use, and very tiny.

Jeff

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing the information. It's a slick looking little all-in-one. (Cute baby pic too!)
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com