Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 134699 times)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
A10 threads need a Part III.

would I be able to use the CA-14 cards in mic-in with the A10 and still get good results?

I've also got a new CA-9200 preamp, would it be better to use the pre amp and audio in?
More than likely these questions have been answered in the back log of the A10 posts/threads as Church Audio gear is still popular.   

You would want to run the preamp/A10 combo at audio-in.  Running the mics mic-in without a battery box would get mixed results depending on how loud the source is.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #526 on: May 08, 2023, 12:12:53 PM »
My trusty old M10 has finally died so I've got an A10 on order, arriving Wednesday.

I've been using the M10 with CA-14 Cards mic-in for a long time now with good results, would I be able to use the CA-14 cards in mic-in with the A10 and still get good results?

I've also got a new CA-9200 preamp, would it be better to use the pre amp and audio in?

I tape exclusively stealth and in small venues up to about 400 capacity max.

When I switched from M10 to A10, I kept everything else in my chain exactly the same, and it all worked well.

In general you're going to get better results with a preamp or battery box and audio in than using the recorder to power the mics, though.

Offline nxb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #527 on: May 08, 2023, 03:01:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll be using the preamp.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2023, 08:37:31 AM »
My A10 started acting out yesterday. When I turn it on, it just goes to a completely white screen. When I re-insert the SD card the recorder starts up correctly. WTF?!
I guess it's a good think that I recently got a spare unit.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #529 on: May 13, 2023, 03:40:16 PM »
My A10 started acting out yesterday. When I turn it on, it just goes to a completely white screen. When I re-insert the SD card the recorder starts up correctly. WTF?!
I guess it's a good think that I recently got a spare unit.
Try Sony service. At least ask them if this is a common problem. They replaced my first one for me.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #530 on: May 16, 2023, 05:11:25 AM »
Try Sony service. At least ask them if this is a common problem. They replaced my first one for me.

No luck with Sony support. They said I could send it in for service, but my A10 is out of warranty and a repair would easily set me back >200 €. Now I'm trying to drain the battery in the hopes that the unit somehow resets itself.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #531 on: May 16, 2023, 10:37:44 PM »
No luck with Sony support. They said I could send it in for service, but my A10 is out of warranty and a repair would easily set me back >200 €. Now I'm trying to drain the battery in the hopes that the unit somehow resets itself.

I have a brand new one in an open box, PM me if you are interested in buying it.  Opened to test it out, never been used or taken out of the house.... it is/was a backup that I never needed.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #532 on: May 17, 2023, 09:49:07 AM »
I have a brand new one in an open box, PM me if you are interested in buying it.  Opened to test it out, never been used or taken out of the house.... it is/was a backup that I never needed.

Thanks, but I already have a new spare unit. ;)

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »
Old post, but why would a recording be split between external and internal memory?

How much internal memory does the A10 have?

Not a huge deal but minor nuisance, I read in the manual there should be no audio lost when the a10 switches from internal memory to the microsd card, but in my most recent recording, there's a little under a second missing. Not seamless at all.

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2023, 07:08:36 PM »
I am planning on buying a sony A-10 and want to run DPA 4080s into the ext. mic input using a y adaptor(micro dot into stereo mini plug), is this deck capable of supplying power using plug in power without a battery box? I've spoken to Len at Core sound and would like to just plug in and go as sensitive metal detectors seem all the rage in Seattle these days. Bob

Which Seattle venues have sensitive metal detectors?

I use the CS battery box and when I go through metal detectors I put in the bowl with my keys, glasses and phone. I'm rarely asked about it, but if they ask what it is I say it's an external battery pack for my cell phone. One person looked at me funny but then waved me through.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2023, 04:13:37 AM »
Old post, but why would a recording be split between external and internal memory?

Not a huge deal but minor nuisance, I read in the manual there should be no audio lost when the a10 switches from internal memory to the microsd card, but in my most recent recording, there's a little under a second missing. Not seamless at all.

The memory could be partially full from a previous outing?

A slow memory card could be a cause of this, but unless testing reveals a persistent issue, I might write that off to a one-time fluke and cross my fingers!?! Or get a different SD card?!
 :-[

A10 has 16GB internal. I had some major failure with a slow microSD card once, so I stick to the internal now!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:16:01 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »

I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the A10 for automatically switching between storage types if the one to which you started a recording fills up.  I think I have my A10 set up this way.  But I record to a 64GB card, and have never ran out of space on the card; so I don't know how well it works.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2023, 10:16:42 AM »

I'm pretty sure there is a setting in the A10 for automatically switching between storage types if the one to which you started a recording fills up.  I think I have my A10 set up this way.  But I record to a 64GB card, and have never ran out of space on the card; so I don't know how well it works.

If it works the same as on the M10, which I'm pretty sure it does, it works seamlessly: Once the internal card fills up, the next file starts on the external card with no gaps. You just have to splice them later in post.

Offline roffels

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #538 on: June 05, 2023, 12:32:28 AM »

Internal memory was the default recording location, and once that was filled, it moved on to the Microsd card. There's 16gb internal memory. I've stopped using that recorder for anything other than  >:D

No clue what the issue was, but since I primarily open tape these days, I just moved on to using the Zoom f6. No issues there.

Offline 2X2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #539 on: June 06, 2023, 07:20:36 AM »
A10 has 16GB internal. I had some major failure with a slow microSD card once, so I stick to the internal now!

same experience here - internal only for me. testing cards takes time (or bad field experience) but internal has never failed me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com