Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 134705 times)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #555 on: June 16, 2023, 09:39:08 AM »
There had been no mention at all of this needed step in the instructions or the A10 help guide I found online; may never had found it other than by accident.

Hopefully it will now connect easily the next time and I will be able to use the REC Remote app to control it.  Will report back.
I felt the same way when I got mine to connect.  I swore I had tried every combination of ways to get them connected.  When it worked, like you, I wondered why the process was not standardized.  I feel like different phones force the user to try different ordered processes to get connected... and that is confusing.

Let us know how it goes.

I still wonder if I can get both my A10s to work off one phone at the same time.  If anyone has run two at the same time while using the app to monitor both, lmk.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #556 on: June 16, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »
I still wonder if I can get both my A10s to work off one phone at the same time.  If anyone has run two at the same time while using the app to monitor both, lmk.

Yes on an older Android. Haven’t tried iPhone yet.
I can switch back and forth between two A10’s. When I switch from #1 A10 to #2 A10, it disconnects BT from #1 and connects to #2 seamlessly it seems. Then switch back from #2 A10 to #1 A10, it disconnects BT from #2 and connects to #1 seamlessly it seems. Both recorders continue to record without issue when I do this.
Make sense??

On Android:
You need to pair both recorders to your phone and should probably rename them to differentiate.
Then touch the A10 \/ icon in upper left corner on phone to choose which recorder you want to access. Very easy process once you get it figured out.

Edit:
On iPhone I paired two A10’s via BT.
I can switch back and forth between #1 A10 and #2 A10 by using the BT menu on iPhone.
When both recorders are connected, you can monitor one recorder. In order to monitor #2 recorder, you must disconnect #1.
It seems to re-pair on app with the #2 recorder seamlessly I think. Then to go back and monitor #1 recorder, you must disconnect the #2 recorder and the app will re-pair with #1 recorder. And vice-versa.
Not nearly as easy as with Android phone.. but it seems to work.

But you should double check the ‘seamlessly’ part of all this before taking it out in the field. I’m not positive about that.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:58:18 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2023, 01:13:29 AM »
I can switch back and forth between two A10’s. When I switch from #1 A10 to #2 A10, it disconnects BT from #1 and connects to #2 seamlessly it seems. Then switch back from #2 A10 to #1 A10, it disconnects BT from #2 and connects to #1 seamlessly it seems. Both recorders continue to record without issue when I do this.

I've had the exact same experience. Occasionally it can take a couple of tries before it pairs with the other recorder, but usually it's seamless. And both recorders keep recording, it's just which one is being controlled by the phone app that switches.

I had a weird experience tonight where when I went to connect one of my A10s, my phone acted like it had never paired with it before. The show was starting, so I just pushed the record button on the A10 manually and figured I wouldn't monitor it, but 20 minutes in I tried checking bluetooth settings on my phone and this time it connected. Sunspots?

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »
I had a weird experience tonight where when I went to connect one of my A10s, my phone acted like it had never paired with it before. The show was starting, so I just pushed the record button on the A10 manually and figured I wouldn't monitor it, but 20 minutes in I tried checking bluetooth settings on my phone and this time it connected. Sunspots?

I haven't "manually" started my A10 at a show in so long ...

Since I pretty much always roll in >:D mode , first I'd have to dig it out, then I'd have to deactivate the "hold" function without accidentally turning it off (which requires removal of a velcro strip I use to keep things from getting jostled around), and then after hitting the record button ... I would have to figure out how to manually adjust the levels; something I haven't done in years.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #559 on: June 17, 2023, 11:14:08 AM »
I have been able to have the unit turned on, place it on hold, and still be able to start recording/adjust levels with the iPhone app.
I think the hold just prevents an accidental physical button hit when the unit is stashed away.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #560 on: June 17, 2023, 01:33:28 PM »

I haven't "manually" started my A10 at a show in so long ...

Since I pretty much always roll in >:D mode , first I'd have to dig it out, then I'd have to deactivate the "hold" function without accidentally turning it off (which requires removal of a velcro strip I use to keep things from getting jostled around), and then after hitting the record button ... I would have to figure out how to manually adjust the levels; something I haven't done in years.

Yeah, this was a first for me in a while as well. Fortunately I had levels set pretty well from a previous show, so it was just a matter of pulling the A10 out of my pocket, taking it off hold, pressing record, and turning hold back on. But it was still unnerving, and I was very glad when REC Remote started working again a bit later. (Recording came out fine.)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #561 on: June 17, 2023, 04:44:43 PM »
I had a full battery when I started recording today.  I need to run my A10 from noon-8pm.  Will the battery last that long?  It's already on 3 bars after 2 hours.  Luckily I have a battery in the car but I'd have to go walk and get it and may miss some tunes
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
There had been no mention at all of this needed step in the instructions or the A10 help guide I found online; may never had found it other than by accident.

Hopefully it will now connect easily the next time and I will be able to use the REC Remote app to control it.  Will report back.
I felt the same way when I got mine to connect.  I swore I had tried every combination of ways to get them connected.  When it worked, like you, I wondered why the process was not standardized.  I feel like different phones force the user to try different ordered processes to get connected... and that is confusing.

Let us know how it goes.

I used it for the first time last night. Everything connected fine and I got a good recording.

The only thing I didn't like was that I kept being afraid I would accidentally press the pause or stop button while checking the levels. The pause button is just above the button I press to minimize the app.

Also, related to what someone else said above, the hold switch isn't that easy to use, and it's annoying that it's the same switch used for power. Worried that I will take it off hold sometime and accidentally turn it off.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2023, 09:40:25 PM »

I used it for the first time last night. Everything connected fine and I got a good recording.

[/quote]

Yay!

Also, related to what someone else said above, the hold switch isn't that easy to use, and it's annoying that it's the same switch used for power. Worried that I will take it off hold sometime and accidentally turn it off.

Never ever taking it off hold while it's in use has worked for me.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #564 on: June 18, 2023, 03:44:58 AM »
After I charged mine mid festival day the screen would light up but not start.  I scrambled as I still had one headlining set to record.  The fix was to take out the SD card and reinsert it
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #565 on: June 18, 2023, 03:45:24 AM »
I guess I probably won't need to take it off hold until I'm finished, under most circumstances anyway, but it does still seem like a design flaw.

The A10 is considerably smaller than my Tascam DR-07, but I wonder if it may have more metal in it - the Tascam feels really cheap, but on the bright side since it is mostly plastic I've never had it set off a metal detector.  Has anyone had much experience with the A10 and metal detectors?

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #566 on: June 18, 2023, 05:51:54 AM »
Initial thoughts; finally got one the other day, enjoying the extra space and weight reduction on long walks from parking to venues compared to the M10.

Learned to operate by touch from inside my pocket (as I have the M10 and R-09).
Tried Bluetooth on an ancient Android phone, but won't use it at GA shows where I can get bumped and hit the wrong button on a sensitive touch screen.
Feeling buttons and the 5s pre-record buffer are better IMHO for crowded GA shows.

The backlight is too bright when I'm setting up in the dark, so I put a piece of window tint over it.

I've done two loud club shows with DPA 4063 > BB ("9V" (7.8-8.4V, really) EBL Li-ion C=10uF R1=10K R2=100K) at levels 5/6/7 on the A10.

Might try PiP mic-in next week with 4063s at an outdoor show; but the A10 seems even hotter than the M10.
(level 1/30 on A10 might be hotter than level 2/10 on M10).

I've already had to do a hard reset by holding the power switch for 8s to recover from failed USB transfer off internal storage.
Normal (fast) power off/on is almost certainly a standby mode since it's so quick and doesn't reset the internal USB mass storage state.

My USB transfer failure was semi-expected since I used a long powered USB Type-A extension cable that wasn't reliable with the M10, either; ordering a short one...
I don't like the A10 acting as a lever prying on my workstation's USB ports, and the short mini cable I used for the M10 won't work.

The A10 seems to charge fairly quickly when plugged into my tower or laptop; I would prefer to keep the battery ~80% charged to increase battery life (as recommended w/ Li-ion laptop batteries and electric cars) but it seems to hit 4 bars too fast.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:56:46 AM by dabbler »

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #567 on: June 18, 2023, 09:44:54 AM »

Never ever taking it off hold while it's in use has worked for me.
I often throw some gaff tape on to the back of the deck.  I tear a piece off for the Hold/Power and a piece for the 3.5mm connections.  This actually saved my ass one time with an M10 - I cover all input points except the Mic jack so I am not absent-mindedly using the wrong input.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #568 on: June 18, 2023, 01:41:48 PM »
Tried Bluetooth on an ancient Android phone, but won't use it at GA shows where I can get bumped and hit the wrong button on a sensitive touch screen.

I immediately power down the screen on my phone after using or checking the app, to ensure I don't hit anything by accident.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2023, 03:35:19 PM »

I immediately power down the screen on my phone after using or checking the app, to ensure I don't hit anything by accident.

^This!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com