Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 135452 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #600 on: July 19, 2023, 12:42:10 AM »
The other night using my A10s (I run one for stage, one for SBD) I had a bizarre issue where it seemingly unpaired from my phone, and would -not- re-pair no matter what I tried in the moment. Not sure if it was because I was surrounded by dozens of other Bluetooth devices in a rather large venue or what. Even after the show I was still unable to get it to pair without throwing errors, what *finally* worked was brute forcing it with NFC. By which I mean, I had to initiate NFC pairing at least 5 times before it finally "stuck", at which point it was perfect, again.

Ran into the issue after pairing it to my car for some listening for the first time the day prior, so, just throwing this out there as a cautionary tale, and as a possible fix if anyone else has the same thing occur. I had to Google where the NFC reader was in my phone - you put put it flush against the little NFC Icon on the back of the A10 and it then automatically tries to pair. Wasn't even aware of that feature.

I am not sure if it is the recorder or not (I figured it was my new phone) but my A10 will no longer just Bluetooth to my phone.  If I want to connect to the phone app I MUST NFC to get it to connect.  I am on a Google Pixel 7 Pro.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2023, 10:32:02 AM »
I am 99% >:D and was having occasional issues with my rig getting jostled; especially at crowded standing shows.  I came up with the idea of using a couple of velcro strips.  One wraps around three times and fits under the right-angle plug arm.  The other is just a single velcro strip to keep the wire from moving around.  I haven't had a single issue since I've been doing this for the last several months, so I think I can confidently say it works.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #602 on: July 20, 2023, 12:03:15 PM »
I am 99% >:D and was having occasional issues with my rig getting jostled; especially at crowded standing shows.  I came up with the idea of using a couple of velcro strips.  One wraps around three times and fits under the right-angle plug arm.  The other is just a single velcro strip to keep the wire from moving around.  I haven't had a single issue since I've been doing this for the last several months, so I think I can confidently say it works.

Ooh, nice! I should have some strips that size around, will give it a shot.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2023, 02:27:11 PM »
I ran line in with the limiter on the other night to try to tame loud applause at a Jeff Tweedy acoustic show. Really bad results, seems like the limiter reaction was slow and the peaks go up and down. Kind of sounds almost like the limiter is going on and off during the applause. The music is all good but the between songs is really annoying, sounds like it is modulating or something. I'm going to be reducing the applause with Izotope and and then reducing those sections even further by drawing the volume down with Samplitude, so not the end of the world. Once those sections are reduced it won't be quite as bad but still kind of annoying.

Has anyone else had this happen with the limiter?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2023, 04:17:45 PM »
I use the limiter nearly all the time and never noticed anything weird with it. Note that I leave recording level set for 6 when using internal mics, and rarely patch anything else with the A10
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:19:21 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #605 on: July 20, 2023, 09:08:48 PM »
The limiter, not automatic gain control? From your description, that sounds more like AGC behavior.

Like Morst, I leave the limiter on all the time (but at low overall gain) and have never noticed anything weird. I leave the applause for iZotope to handle in post, since I know it'll do the job.

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #606 on: July 20, 2023, 11:35:07 PM »
The limiter, not automatic gain control? From your description, that sounds more like AGC behavior.

Like Morst, I leave the limiter on all the time (but at low overall gain) and have never noticed anything weird. I leave the applause for iZotope to handle in post, since I know it'll do the job.

I thought the limiter was just on /off. What do you mean you use it with low overall gain?

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #607 on: July 21, 2023, 01:02:30 AM »

I thought the limiter was just on /off. What do you mean you use it with low overall gain?

I mean I don't turn up the gain high enough that the limiter kicks in a lot. It's just there to prevent clipping on stray very loud bits.

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #608 on: July 21, 2023, 05:35:06 PM »
OK, I have been leaving the limiter on as well, but still trying to set the levels enough that it's unlikely to need limiting.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #609 on: July 22, 2023, 08:16:55 AM »
Dumb question.
41 pages.
Should we be starting a new thread on this device.  Seems like a decent turning point...
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #610 on: July 22, 2023, 11:20:23 AM »
It definitely sounds like what automatic gain control does but I'm pretty sure I had it set for manual. And the parts between applause sound fine. Oh well.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #611 on: July 22, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
It definitely sounds like what automatic gain control does but I'm pretty sure I had it set for manual. And the parts between applause sound fine. Oh well.

Can you share a clip maybe? I'm very curious to hear what this sounds like.

Also, was the applause the only part that was loud enough to engage the limiter? When I saw Tweedy recently that was certainly the case.

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
Looking to pick one up and found a good price thru an Ebay vendor from China. The listing claims it is U.S. A Series.  Does anyone know if there have been different series of models and if there should be concerns with buying?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:30:39 AM by taperwheeler »
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #613 on: September 28, 2023, 04:45:14 PM »
I would always have concerns about buying via an Ebay seller from China.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #614 on: September 28, 2023, 06:18:22 PM »
There is an A10 in the YS!  I would go that route.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203440.0

Looking to pick one up and found a good price thru an Ebay vendor from China. The listing claims it is U.S. A Series.  Does anyone know if there have been different series of models and if there should be concerns with buying?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com