Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 135453 times)

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #630 on: February 17, 2024, 09:47:00 AM »
Bit the bullet and ordered from the link in taperwheeler's post.  Holy cow is this thing tiny, not much bigger than a car key fob.  You can read about the dimensions all you want but until I actually held it in my hand, I had no idea.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline shadowfax1007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2024, 01:46:09 PM »
Is anyone here using the Japanese model and able to give feedback?

Does it function 100% the same?
Is it easy enough to navigate once you know the options?
Does it connect and function correctly with the phone application if the device is in Japanese but your phone is English?

I've had an A10 come up in my area for a decent price that I'm thinking I'll jump on.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #632 on: March 08, 2024, 01:22:47 AM »
Is anyone here using the Japanese model and able to give feedback?

Is there a Japanese localized A10? I have a Japanese PCM-M10, but that's an older model.

Looking to pick one up and found a good price thru an Ebay vendor from China. The listing claims it is U.S. A Series.  Does anyone know if there have been different series of models and if there should be concerns with buying?
Make absolutely sure it is an international model. The Japanese market models are hardware locked to Japanese and can not be changed.

Oh. Photos or link?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:25:01 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #633 on: March 08, 2024, 09:11:29 AM »

I finally caved in and got one of these. It is true that until you hold it in your hand you don't realize how tiny this thing is. The remote app is a game changer. Between the Wingman app for the Mixpre6 and the Remote Rec app for the A10 I'm feeling very spoiled by technology.

The internal mics sound surprisingly good for sketch recording around the house. I used it to capture some song ideas when I was fooling around with my mandolin at my GF's house. The tracks sound good playing into the internals from a foot away. Very pleasantly surprised.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2024, 12:07:24 PM »
Looking to pick one up and found a good price thru an Ebay vendor from China. The listing claims it is U.S. A Series.  Does anyone know if there have been different series of models and if there should be concerns with buying?
Make absolutely sure it is an international model. The Japanese market models are hardware locked to Japanese and can not be changed.

Oh. Photos or link?
Of what?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline morst

« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2024, 03:27:33 PM »

Oh. Photos or link?
Of what?

I will believe there is a Japanese language version of this recorder when I see a photo of it.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2024, 03:44:23 PM »
Oh. Photos or link?
Of what?
I will believe there is a Japanese language version of this recorder when I see a photo of it.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2024, 03:47:59 PM »
Stay strong Morst, Japanese A10s can only be activated by Jewish space lasers.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2024, 03:00:56 AM »

Oh. Photos or link?
Of what?

I notice some people believes it would be trivial to navigate the menus with the help from Google Translate.
To each their own.

I personally wouldn't want to sit in the dark, needing to change a setting fast and fumble with Google Translate.
See attachments:

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #639 on: March 09, 2024, 03:02:42 AM »

Does it work with the app though?
Might be easier to navigate core functions in English with the app.

Oh. Photos or link?
Of what?

I notice some people believes it would be trivial to navigate the menus with the help from Google Translate.
To each their own.

I personally wouldn't want to sit in the dark, needing to change a setting fast and fumble with Google Translate.
See attachments:
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #640 on: March 09, 2024, 05:54:03 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd want the Japanese version either, but I never even have to look at the device when I'm at a show. Just turn it on and then control with the app. The only thing I have ever had to change with the device controls is to switch been line in and mic in and I can know which one to use before getting to the venue.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2024, 07:42:40 AM »
The question then remains; will the Japanese model communicate with the international app or will it only communicate with the Japanese version? And if the latter, will you even be able to download load it from a Japanese app store?

Offline morst

« Reply #642 on: March 12, 2024, 05:55:50 PM »
To each their own.

See attachments:
Thanks for the detailed pics. I don't have to use the menus on my A10 recorder out in the field very much, but I can understand wanting easy-to-read menus.

Attached are the images from my results using google translate phone app on the images you posted.
Note that it tries to read the level meters as a string of digits.

Stay strong Morst, Japanese A10s can only be activated by Jewish space lasers.

Well, as a jew, I have one, so that's no problem.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:00:41 PM by morst »

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #643 on: March 25, 2024, 07:56:02 AM »
I picked up an A10 this week (Japanese Model) and gave it a test run last night. Took my wife to see one of her favourite bands ITZY (K-pop girl group) so I threw it in my pocket. I'm honestly just awe at the quality the in built mics can put out. I've included an attachment of raw audio from the A10 mics in the outward facing position in case anyone else wanted another sample to listen to.

Is it the best sounding recording in the world? Absolutely not. Is it perfectly listenable and enjoyable? Sure is.
I've pulled worse tapes over the years with some of my external mics - so I was shocked to hear what I captured with the internals. From memory I started at Recording Level 5 and bumped it down to Level 4 and it was great. Being able to monitor levels from my phone was a game changer too. With a tiny bit of polish in Izotope RX 10 to boost vocals and drop a bit of mud, this became a recording I'm happy to throw in my collection. To be clear though, the attached sample is not edited. The only downside was that Security didn't direct me through the walkthrough metal detector and I didn't get wanded - I actually really wanted to get checked to see if it would get picked up or not. So that remains to be seen for next time.

Looking forward to throwing this into my stealth rig now and seeing what I can capture with some of my usual shows.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline morst

« Reply #644 on: March 25, 2024, 03:31:44 PM »
using the internal mics, record level of 6 with limiter on will be as good as it gets, in my experience.
Have not really tried without the limiter...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com