Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 + 9v LiIon battery ??  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
V3 + 9v LiIon battery ??
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:53:14 PM »
Looking to lighten the load a bit more for local taping, but still keep my 6v SLAs around for festivals.  I don't feel like re-calibrating when I switch between local shows / 9v and festivals / 6v.  Pretty sure there are no technical problems with running my 6v-calibrated V3 on the 9v batt (other than danger of over-draining the batt, but I don't even know if that's an issue with LiIon batts).  So for you V3ers running the 9v LiIon battery from Walmart, I'm wondering how many calibrated yourself, or had calibrated, your:

[1]  low batt light
[2]  auto-shutoff

Thanks.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: V3 + 9v LiIon battery ??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 10:56:42 PM »
not done

and

not done

i got 6.25 hours outta the l-ion pack from walmart. i never even run it close to that, so i feel the low batt light is superficial, as i know how long it lasts. l-ion packs arent subject to much damage by total drain (as compared to sla's)

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 10:57:21 PM »
you might check out the 8000mah 9v pack just liek the wal-mart one that is on ebay also, if your interested in a little more capacity

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 01:45:54 AM »
Thanks, Dustin, I may just do that.  Got a link for me? I suck at the internet and couldn't find the one you mention on EBay.
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:50:28 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5735406347&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

that is the 8000mah pack

i think buck for your bang you come out a little better buying the 5400mah at wal-mart. but it would be nicer to have the one larger pack in my mind

another comment regarding the low batt light... these l-ion packs have a decent bettery meter anyways, you will know when its low. i like to be able to know approx how much juice i have total, not just when it is getting too low

i should ahve had mine calibrated to 9v when grace had it last week tho, just becuase they had it allready

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:52:12 AM »
on another note alltogether, what are your plans for NYE Brian? your in chicago right??? il be up there for buckethead/umph on the 30th and then robert randolph/big head todd on NYE... maybe we can meet up sometime

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 01:53:20 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32864&item=5735406347&rd=1   <-- in the ebay section.

also, the batteries from walmart have their own levels on them, just press the button to see how much left on the battery.  when it gets down to the red light, its time to recharge.  however, the warning light on the v3 will never come on when it gets low.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:54:11 AM »
well dustin beat me to everything on that one.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 01:54:47 AM »
 8) i dont fuck around

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 08:40:10 AM »
l-ion packs arent subject to much damage by total drain (as compared to sla's)

you may want to re-check this information in the FAQs at batteryspace, as they seem to indicate that totaly draining and Li-Ion cell will totally kill it. 
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 08:49:23 AM »
You can't kill  these batteries (or any lithium battery) by fully discharging because they're ALWAYS manufactured with built-in protective circuits.

Brian - search eBay for 'Memorex DVD battery' and you'll find the equivalent of the walmart battery.  You can generally pick one up for $20-25 shipped - they've been in good supply for a while.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 09:04:21 AM »
thanks for the tip dklein, i just picked up one for $25 which included a car charger for it as well.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 09:22:28 AM »
Thanks for the link, Dustin, and the keywords, David.  I'll prolly have one of these by the new year.
Roland R-05

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 04:50:32 PM »

Thanks for the info JK Labs...

Bri (and others), the charging and protection circuitry is included in the Wally battery, the meters are reasonably accurate.  And as related by others, you'd likely get 6+ hours on the V3 with it.  Just watch the lights.  The battery should disconnect before becoming completely discharged, or the wahoo's that run it down to zero would be returning them in droves.  Since aside from us gearslut-technophile-tapertypes, the REST of the consumer world is pretty fucking IGNORANT when it comes to these things.

I wouldn't recal the battery lite on the V3, so it stays "virgin" for SLA's in case you need to run those in a pinch.  I just ordered 2 more JB3 batts, and picked up another Wally 9v - so even for festi's I've got 10-12 hours of light-weight power now - thank GOD - hauling 2 EC-90's was wearing me the fuck out, not to mention having them hand-checked at every TSA checkpoint...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 09:13:55 PM »
So, what do you do with these batteries, add the connector you need for the item you want to power?   I'm thinking these would be great to operate the P-1......Currently, I use an 8 v9olt....I wired to 4volt, 4.5 AH batteries in series, added Nuetrik connector.....runs the P-1 for at least 6 hours....I like these LI's though!
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com