Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Homebrek 6V SLA Die?  (Read 5909 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Homebrek 6V SLA Die?
« on: November 15, 2003, 10:58:46 AM »
So I have had this homebrew 6V SLA for a couple years now, and last night, I pull it out at a show, and it is dead, no power in the cell.  Now mind you, I charged both of my SLAs 4 weeks ago, and the other one I have worker perfectly.  Is this a sympton of the SLAs "end of lifing" or should I be looking for something else?

Nick

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re:Homebrek 6V SLA Die?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 11:22:36 AM »
Give it another charge and then use it in a home test. If it drains really quickly, it's dead/dying. If it can't even be charged, also dead. 4 weeks *shouldn't* be long enough to drain an unused good SLA.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 07:27:30 AM »
Matt, thanks.....tried out your suggestion and it drains within a few hours....damn thing is dead...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:39:00 AM »
sure all the connections are still there?  nothing came loose?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 11:39:41 AM »
sure all the connections are still there?  nothing came loose?

Yeah...everything is securely soldered....just seems that the damn battery has died...

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 01:50:38 PM »
that happens!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 01:52:33 PM »
did you run it to death anytime?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 02:03:52 PM »
get this....after saturdays ymsb show i charge my 6v battery as i normally do, let it run overnight. unplug the battery from the charger and put it in the bag,

tuesday i hook up the battery to run some tests with the mp-2 and sbm-1...calibrate and mess with the gain settings...the battery is dead...no charge

but it ran for almost 5hrs at ymsb...

something is wrong, so i look and notice that i had plugged the charger into the wall outlet upside down. i know it was upside down because the charger is still plugged in...upside down, and the bottom outlet has my laptop charger in it.

this is the strange part...i unplug the charger and plug in the bottom plug (right side up ??) and then plug the battery in...a couple hours later i go and check the battery and its working?

what's going on?? i have another 6v that i retired about a month ago because it also seemed to die....hmmmm
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2003, 02:20:36 PM »
did you run it to death anytime?

nope...always had some juice left.  I noticed the last time I used it that the batt light on my sbm-1 (I use it to power both my D100 and SBM) reduced a battery bar, which never happens in under 5-6 hours....but it did after 2 hours....seemed odd...I just figured it did not get a full charge, but now it wont hold at all....

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 03:45:33 PM »
this is the strange part...i unplug the charger and plug in the bottom plug (right side up ??) and then plug the battery in...a couple hours later i go and check the battery and its working?

In general, polarity matters when charging. I'd have expected your charger to compensate if it allows plugging in 'upside down,' though. Guess not.

Offline Chris K

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 09:13:39 PM »
i have another 6v that i retired about a month ago because it also seemed to die....hmmmm

ok...now the battery i shelfed also holds a charge...

so by putting the charger plug upside down (reverse polarity?) the battery juice gets sucked out...put the charger plug in right, and battery charges...

it cant be good for the battery to have all its juice removed? i wonder if it will decrease battery life, or if it has a refreshing effect

woah...this is getting way to scientific or me

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 10:20:39 PM »
Not good for the battery and will decrease life. I'll spare you the science.

-Matt

Offline Chris K

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 11:16:43 AM »
Not good for the battery and will decrease life. I'll spare you the science.

-Matt

yeah...i guess my 6v's are toast...tried both last night at galactic and they didnt last long...bummer

-Elvis Presley

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 06:47:44 PM »

In general, polarity matters when charging. I'd have expected your charger to compensate if it allows plugging in 'upside down,' though. Guess not.

uhhh, i dont think so.....AC=alternating current, its a sine wave, polarity shouldnt matter.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 03:23:59 AM »

uhhh, i dont think so.....AC=alternating current, its a sine wave, polarity shouldnt matter.

Yeah, polarity doesn't matter in the AC realm... if you switch the DC out of the charger, though...

BOOOOOOOM!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com