Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Mod is best for my UA5 W/ C4's  (Read 3154 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
What Mod is best for my UA5 W/ C4's
« on: December 14, 2004, 12:38:11 PM »
I was thinking the presence mod for my UA5 since the C4's are pretty warm mics already but I would like to hear from others who already did the mod. Also about how much is the mod? and how long does it take Oade Bro's ?
Peace

:)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: What Mod is best for my UA5 W/ C4's
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »
I was wondering the same question.  Try asking Doug at the Oade boards; however I do know he compiled a bunch of c4 comparison tracks, but I believe there were only wmod and tmod test files.  I would love to hear a pmod....
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »
Click on the link below.....C4's with V3, UA5 WMOD and UA5 TMOD:

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/rig_list.html
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »
I got quoted $225 for the Warm Mod and $125 for Plus Mod.  I think the Pres Mod is slightly higher than WMod, maybe $250...  You'll have to ask the Oade's yourself...

And yeah, Todd's right, there are several comps available - all of the same track of a show, so you can really do a side by side comp. 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »
I got quoted $225 for the Warm Mod and $125 for Plus Mod.  I think the Pres Mod is slightly higher than WMod, maybe $250...  You'll have to ask the Oade's yourself...

And yeah, Todd's right, there are several comps available - all of the same track of a show, so you can really do a side by side comp. 

Terry

I found these tracks very usefull in making my decision to get a pair of the C4's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:52:25 PM »

Terry

I found these tracks very usefull in making my decision to get a pair of the C4's.

And although I use a different mic, I used thos tracks to get an idea of what a WMod, PMod and TMod sound like.  I wish they also had straight DMod tracks up there so you could hear a before and after...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 03:09:47 PM »
what's a + mod?  Plus mod?

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 03:15:26 PM »
yes (or are you asking what a plus/+ mod is?)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »

lol yeah - what is the plus mod?  I have a w mod, and this is the first I am hearing of it.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 03:19:36 PM »

lol yeah - what is the plus mod?  I have a w mod, and this is the first I am hearing of it.

From the Oade site:

"We also offer a PLUS MOD that can be applied to any of the three analog input MODs. This further reduces noise and distortions in the UA5 by improving the DC supplies, phantom power and RCA inputs. "

Terry

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 03:21:15 PM »
huh.  cool.  first I've heard of it!

+t

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 03:32:55 PM »
I also picked up my C4's after hearing the test samples on Oades site. I was just wonderin' how the presence mod sounded!!!!
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 06:41:30 PM »
you might want to check out the TMOD.  I just bought another UA5 recently with just the digi-mod.  Heard some samples of the TMOD on Archive.org and was pretty blown away by what I heard.  As it's name states, it's a very transparent, V3-like sound.  So, I sent my new digi-mod back (hadn't even used it yet!) to Doug last week, and it's on it's way back to me as I write this, with both the TMOD and the Plus-MOD (yeah, I know, I have a warm mod and a tmod now...slut!).  I was so impressed with what I heard that I just went for it (+T to BH Toque...I listened to a bunch of his MK012 > TMOD UA5 recordings on the Archive, that is what really sold me)

Anyway.  FWIW, after chatting with Doug and Ben at Oade, they both are extremely hyped on the TMOD, imo even moreso than the WMOD and PMOD.  They really think they've hit on a winner here with this one (not that the others aren't...they are all awesome).  I figured since I was sending it down, what the hay, might as well throw the plus-mod in there too. 

YMMV

Offline krebsy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 08:08:41 PM »
I had the T-Mod Plus done to my UA-5 a few weeks ago.  I've only run it twice since then, but the clarity and reduction in background noise is fantastic.  I could tell the difference right away.  I'm not sure how much the plus mod influenced that, but I'd imagine it was a factor.
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com