Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK41s > Nbox Platinum > R-07  (Read 2626 times)

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
MK41s > Nbox Platinum > R-07
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
This question covers a lot of different pieces of gear, so I am asking it here.

I recorded a fairly loud rock show last night with this rig:  Schoeps MK41s > Nbox Platinum > Edirol R-07.  The Schoeps and Nbox Platinum are both brand spanking new, and this was my first time recording with them. 

Previously, I have used a CA-9100 and a CA-ugly2 for pre-amps along with various mics - but AT853s for the last year or so.  With the 853s and the CA pre, I would go with an input level on the R-07 anywhere from mid-20s to mid-30s (depending on venue, loudness, etc.).

Of course, I did some testing with the new rig before I went to the show.  But after I got there and got everything set up, I noticed the levels on the R-07 were bouncing really high while the pre-show music was playing.  So I started turning them down.  I ended up at an input level of 4.  Even though that's how low I had to go to get to where the levels looked safe, I was really worried that was too low for getting a decent recording.  As it turned out, the recording sounds decent.

So I am wondering - is this just a difference in pre-amps; and in particular, since the Nbox Platinum has four 9v batteries, it's really supplying a lot of juice to the mics and thus the input level has to be much lower?

I also got a Baby Nbox, but have yet to try it out.  Should I anticipate different input levels for that (compared to the Nbox Platinum)?

Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: MK41s > Nbox Platinum > R-07
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »
yes different levels

baby nbox is just a power supply, it has no gain stage

if your platinum didnt overload thats great. the fact that you were at input level 4 is cause for concern in regards to 'brickwalling'

i cant recall what the dbU limit of r07 is, some devices like my A10 can record at 01 input level and if the levels are good, the levels are good. a lot of other devices are getting horribly overloaded at minimum gain and the level meters are kinda meaningless (thats why they call it 'brickwalling'... levels may not be close to zero but they hit a 'brickwall' at a lower level because its basically noise at that point

its great to know that the platinum puts out a hot signal, as that is the best for getting good performance out of a handheld. That doesnt mean its a great fit for your R07 tho. a little more testing is in order. ill mess around over here and report back
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 12:50:15 AM »
Were you running line in or mic in?  with the Nbox Platinum you should be running line in and shouldn't have to have the dial down to 7 on an R-07.. Baby Nbox would go mic in.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
Were you running line in or mic in?  with the Nbox Platinum you should be running line in and shouldn't have to have the dial down to 7 on an R-07.. Baby Nbox would go mic in.
R07 only has one input and switches gain internally
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online guitard

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 06:53:13 AM »
Were you running line in or mic in?  with the Nbox Platinum you should be running line in and shouldn't have to have the dial down to 7 on an R-07. Baby Nbox would go mic in.

R07 only has one input and switches gain internally

Yeah -- what jerryfreak said.  I am looking at getting a Sony PCM-A10.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
well the A10 is the same way (one jack and gain selected internally)... it does take a hot input tho

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »

I also got a Baby Nbox, but have yet to try it out.  Should I anticipate different input levels for that (compared to the Nbox Platinum)?

Thanks!

I have both boxes, but do not have your recorder, so I will not offer an opinion as to its details. 

As for the Baby NBox, you can set the recorder's input on "Mike" and use the preamps, but the input will be fairly hot.  You can set the recorder's input on "Line" and it will be fairly low, indeed needs to be cranked up almost to the edge.  I've used both settings on the Baby NBox without any difference to me, although cranking it up gave me concerns.  No difference in the quality of the sound. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Online guitard

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
Alright - I said fuck it and ordered a Sony A-10.  I'll hang on to the R-07 for when I want to record with two sets of mics.  Might be kind of neat remotely controlling both the R-07 and the A-10 at the same time with apps on my iPhone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com