Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 142732 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2024, 03:18:53 PM »
I'm double checking my F6's setup for some shows this week, and something is making me wonder if I'm crazy.

I swear that the last time I taped, I was able to link all 6 tracks together so that I could enable all tracks simply by turning the knob for track 1. However, today, when I turned the track 1 knob, only tracks 1 and 2 turned on (because they are a stereo pair).

I assumed this was controlled by the trim link setting, but when I trim link all tracks together (setting all tracks to "Group A"), the behavior doesn't change... am I misremembering? I could have sworn I was able to make it work this way, and I liked being able to control everything from one knob.

???
In the menu select REC and then select file format. Now select poly instead of mono/stereo. That should do it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2024, 05:16:29 PM »
I link my channels in pairs:  1-2  3-4  5-6   I have never linked all 6.  My channels could have up to 3 pairs of mics, with each set having a different sensitivity.  So linking all 6 wasn't feasible for me.  My 2 cents.

This expounds upon what I was getting at. Spyder has it setup as three separate trim-linked pairs.  Each pair can have it's gain-trim set and adjusted differently from the others, but any trim difference between the two channels of any one pair is eliminated as soon as that pair link is established. This is how most tapers will want to set their recorders up, and it works fine as long as both mics of each pair are well matched with identical sensitivities and/or the level of the board patch remains balanced across both channels.  That way, whenever you need to change trim level across all 6 channels while recording, you can do so by adjusting 3 knobs (one for each pair) without messing up the level balance of each pair while making the adjustment. Beats having to adjust 6 separate knobs quickly and accurately for sure, however changes in trim of the separate pairs will not happen in sync, or necessarily by the same amount. 

Unfortunately that arrangement doesn't work for what I'm looking to achieve, which is to retain the relative gain relationships across all input channels, while being able to adjust trim of all of them in unison and by the same amount with a single knob tweak.  Because of this I'm forced to give up the nicety of dialing in the different relative gains I would like to have for each channel, and instead just go ahead and link all channels with forced identical gains, then later make the relative gain adjustments I need afterward in post.  Makes for a bit more work, but at least any trim adjustments made in the field effect all channels simultaneously and by the same amount, which is manageable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2024, 05:21:23 PM »
In the menu select REC and then select file format. Now select poly instead of mono/stereo. That should do it.

Are you sure? If so that quirk is specific to the F6.   F8 allows mono files and all channels trim linked in anyway combination you like.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2024, 10:46:10 PM »

Are you sure? If so that quirk is specific to the F6.   F8 allows mono files and all channels trim linked in anyway combination you like.

Yeah there's zero chance the file format has anything to do with this.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline al w.

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #574 on: March 21, 2024, 05:39:11 PM »
Just to close this off: I was mistaken. I don't think I ever was able to control all 6 channels from one knob.

All good though :) Thanks again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com