Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)  (Read 98268 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part Tres)
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »
Hi all, just checking in as a new member of the R44 team. ;D  Picked up a Oade mod R44 the other day, haven't even had the chance to run it yet.

I read though most of the R44 threads before I decided to buy, but I can't remember this and am too lazy to wade thru everything again -- do the typical walmart style li-ion batteries work in the R44?  I've got a couple 9v wally li-ion batteries, but fully charged the R44 keeps flashing "low battery".  The batteries are regulated to put out exactly 9v, and that is what my voltmeter reads, but I guess that exactly 9v the R44 thinks the battery is too low?

Just double-checking on other people's experiences, but it looks like it might be time to pick up some 9.6v NiMH packs.

Looks like a very cool little recorder, can't wait to get the power issue solved and find a show to go tape.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:58 AM »
Hi all, just checking in as a new member of the R44 team. ;D  Picked up a Oade mod R44 the other day, haven't even had the chance to run it yet.

Glad to see that economy's being stimulated!  If this place was a soap opera it would be called "As the Gear Turns"  Hahaha.
Good luck with the new toy.  8)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2008, 06:47:49 AM »

I read though most of the R44 threads before I decided to buy, but I can't remember this and am too lazy to wade thru everything again -- do the typical walmart style li-ion batteries work in the R44?  I've got a couple 9v wally li-ion batteries, but fully charged the R44 keeps flashing "low battery".  The batteries are regulated to put out exactly 9v, and that is what my voltmeter reads, but I guess that exactly 9v the R44 thinks the battery is too low?

Just double-checking on other people's experiences, but it looks like it might be time to pick up some 9.6v NiMH packs.

Looks like a very cool little recorder, can't wait to get the power issue solved and find a show to go tape.

Set it as adapter instead of battery.  I was a little freaked out when I had the same issue but alas it was ok.  Ran it digi in for 10 hours and only used 2 bars on the wally battery.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »
Ran it digi in for 10 hours and only used 2 bars on the wally battery.

24/48?

5400mah / 6000mah batt?

That's killer.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

Set it as adapter instead of battery.  I was a little freaked out when I had the same issue but alas it was ok.  Ran it digi in for 10 hours and only used 2 bars on the wally battery.

Thanks!  +T in spirit.  That did the trick, good to know I can keep using these batteries.  Now to get out and use it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Thanks!  +T in spirit.  That did the trick, good to know I can keep using these batteries.  Now to get out and use it.

Just for the record, I also run this exact way (9v walmart batt running as "adapter"), and I get crazy long record times even with all the fancy lights lit up, lol. Even after four-five hours, I can come home and do the transfer off the same charge and STILL have two batt lights left.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »
thats my experience as well, 4-5 hrs, plus a transfer at home (off of the wally batts).
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
Ran it digi in for 10 hours and only used 2 bars on the wally battery.

24/48?

5400mah / 6000mah batt?

That's killer.

24/48 with a 6000 mah battery.  I was shocked. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
are you guys getting the 4+hrs on 4 channels or 2?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »
are you guys getting the 4+hrs on 4 channels or 2?
No problem with 6000mAh.  Ran 4 channels for approx 9 hours straight and still had a light left on the batteries (Phantom off, headphones cranked).  the same run time on my 5400 powering the UA-5 and I still had a light left on that too. 

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
I can go 4+ hours without blinking using four channels with phantom on, doing the transfer at home, and still have bar(s) to spare on the batt.

I actually (semi-permanently) gaff my walmart batt directly to my R44, LOL. Makes for a bad-arse long lasting yet small 4-chan phantom field recorder. I posted pics of my setup a few pages back:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107018.msg1431179.html#msg1431179
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:25:12 AM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »
got my new toy today!!  I see the post above about wally record times but I'll ask anyway cause most of those are referring to 6000 version.

I have 5400 version.  I'll be mostly doing digi in at 24/48.  I know that is plenty of juice for the shows I do.  when I do run 4 channels it'll be digi in and then sbd no phantom.  what should I expect doing that?  can't test that at home, no soundboard ;)

time to start reading.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »
got my new toy today!!  I see the post above about wally record times but I'll ask anyway cause most of those are referring to 6000 version.

I have 5400 version.  I'll be mostly doing digi in at 24/48.  I know that is plenty of juice for the shows I do.  when I do run 4 channels it'll be digi in and then sbd no phantom.  what should I expect doing that?  can't test that at home, no soundboard ;)

time to start reading.

Your expectations should be limited to the ability to make some bad ass recordings.  That is about it.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
can't test that at home, no soundboard ;)

Do you have some RCA > XLRs?  You could record your stereo w/ mics and run RCA out of anything (i.e. same stereo, tape deck, what have you) and have that part act as the 'SBD'. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
Anybody run the R-44 at 24/96 x 4 or 24/192 x 4?  If so what media?

Also if you are only going to run with an external pre-Amp does getting a modded R-44 make a difference?  And do you have to use the TRS jacks when using an external pre (as you do with the R-4 - to bypass the internal pre's)?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:00:57 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com