Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WTF?!i!? Why Do The Taping Gods Hate Me?  (Read 4073 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
WTF?!i!? Why Do The Taping Gods Hate Me?
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:03 AM »
OK,... get this.
Timeline, this afternoon.
I get to the hall two hours early.  I'm in and set up before the orchestras rehearsal.  I get my sound check, and everything is fine to three rigs:
LA CM3 pair as center wide_ORTF array at stage-lip Tas. DR70D
DPA4060 pair as 12' spaced omnis at stage-lip -> Tas. DR70D
Sennheiser MKE2002 Gude Head -> Edirol R09HR at 2nd row center
Both rigs soundchecked fine. Set, ready, roll.

Results:
The CM3 pair; The left mic had some music, but, a continual rapid-fire thumping at around 40hz. The right mic, nothing musical, but the same 40hz thumping like a machine gun.
So, I'm totally frustrated that the CM3 tracks are junk. but, hey, I still have the DPA4060 tracks, and the Senn MKE2002 Binaural tracks.
>
>
>

Uhhmmm.....
Senn MKE2002 -> Edirol R09HR,... only the left track recorded.

In a panic, I slap on the cans, and listen to the 4060 tracks; normalcy.

The only difference in my usual routine is that I offered to run a small video camera from the balcony, and my rigs were at the stage-lip, and at 2nd row, center (first row roped off for my stage-lip rig).

Do the taping gods hate vidiots that much, that they would have caused gremlins to lurk in my audio rigs?  I never run video,... acçCKK!i!

OK,... I do the try-to-replicate-the-situation here at home,...
CM3 pair act like my best  buddies. Both fire up, and, track just fine.
The Senn MKE2002 -> R09HR rig,... same frigging thing.  They worked perfectly as they have since the mid-80's.

FUCKKKKKK!!! WTF?? thrashes around,.... fuckkk!!! WTF?? :banging head:  :facepalm: :angry2: (< and I hate using smilies!)

one last scream,..... AHHHH!!!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:39:37 AM by Moke »

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: WTF?!i!? Why Do The Taping Gods Hate Me?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »
Insane things sometimes happens when you least expect it. So if I understood correctly, the only stereo-sound you got was from the video-source?
None of the audio-rigs got a stereo-capture?

It sounds like the "Gremlins in the Kremlin".
We need to bless our rigs before we tape.

Hope you still will be able to extract something good from the sources.
Keep it up!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
I had the three rigs, as mentioned; wide-ORTF and spaced omnis -> DR70D at stage lip.  Senn binaural at second row.
The only tracks that came out clean are the wide spaced omni flanks, which were not intended as a main pair.
The video sound? I have no idea. It is probably alright, as it was a small early romantic-era orchestra, so nothing to loud for the onboard mic(s)

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:11 AM »
It's probably unrelated, but the thumping describes the start-up sound of the phantom in my DR-701D.  Not a sound I've ever heard with any other phantom source.  Any chance this was an overall power related problem? 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
Those start up spikes are attention getters. But I've seen it with other gear; but, I've been through so many bits of gear, I don't recall which. Perhaps it was the SD722 that did this pulse on start up?
Whatever,... I'd seen that before, so it didn't really cause great concern on seeing it with the DR70D.

I sent the conductor/artistic director my letter of resignation as the red record button pusher for his video camera.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
I had the three rigs, as mentioned; wide-ORTF and spaced omnis -> DR70D at stage lip.  Senn binaural at second row.
The only tracks that came out clean are the wide spaced omni flanks, which were not intended as a main pair.
The video sound? I have no idea. It is probably alright, as it was a small early romantic-era orchestra, so nothing to loud for the onboard mic(s)

Ok, I see. Sometimes not-optimal things happen when recording. Keep it up!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
Those start up spikes are attention getters. But I've seen it with other gear; but, I've been through so many bits of gear, I don't recall which. Perhaps it was the SD722 that did this pulse on start up?
Whatever,... I'd seen that before, so it didn't really cause great concern on seeing it with the DR70D.

I sent the conductor/artistic director my letter of resignation as the red record button pusher for his video camera.

the thumping you describe sounds very much like a phantom power issue we ran across on a dr680. Usually revolves around multiple pairs and a power hungry set of mics. My 414s only seem to play nice with that deck if they are the only ting being used.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
RFLOL. Moke I despise shooting video and have only done so when really pressed. I do not blame you for "resigning". (sorry for the probs though, they always make us wonder "why"!)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
i get so sweaty when everything breaks

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
I always run 4, when given permission.   ;)

usually the board, and 3 others.

then there's the video cams
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
kicks the taint off, and tries again,...

Concerto for Solo Violin and Bassoon - G.F. Handel
https://youtu.be/nnslNCHhQpk

first ever live video attempt, with dubbed in audio.
Apologies for the rough video. This was totally impromptu, with a small handheld Nikon Coolpix point and shoot camera.

This is Ulli Reiner, and the Poway Symphonette.
Ulli is a current Grammy Awards finalist, and, she was not able to get someone to video this. So I looked at my little camera, and, with much dread, manned-up, and pushed the little red video record button, and then had to lean forward awkwardly for nearly 10 minutes. I was at first row, center, before they moved in another row of chairs. Too close for a video, but, you get what you're given,...

And,
Concerto for Two Violins and strings - Vivaldi
https://youtu.be/-bF6HNatjY0

Concerto for Solo Cello and strings - Vivaldi:
https://youtu.be/5Qnci4YUBbA

Themes on Gloria - Vivaldi
https://youtu.be/09FR9btH2Tk

All first row center (until they shoe-horned another row in front of first row;.. but, with a outwardly tapered funneled view for my mics; a very nice consideration!)
DPA 4060 12" baffled omni stereo, with mics 1/4" from disc face, each.
Line Audio CM3 pair, wide-DIN 25cm90º
Mics at tall seated level in center aisle, at first row.
Tas. DR70D 2496
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:22:02 PM by Moke »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com