Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3 Part 2  (Read 13091 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Zoom F3 Part 2
« on: September 17, 2023, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Zoom F3 Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:46:25 PM »
I picked up one of these while it was on sale, even though I already had an F6. I figured it gave me a little flexibility in case I wanted to run a rig FOB and one on stage.

I've only taken it out twice. My experience is that you can't trust rechargeable AA batteries on it - they barely made it through a gig just taking a line signal from a board, I can't imagine how fast they'd drain running phantom to power mics. The 2nd time, I had it running off a USB powerbank and running two mics - it was fine, but cumbersome. I need to test out the lithium ion (non-rechargeable) batteries everyone has been using.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 06:12:42 PM »
these have been posted on the Facebook taper groups

I'm not sure myself about having the battery directly plugged into the unit

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 10:20:28 PM »
I have gotten 8 hours recording at 32/44.1 with phantom using eveready lithium AA batteries.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 01:08:57 PM »
just marking thread, carry on
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 01:22:17 PM »
I picked up one of these while it was on sale, even though I already had an F6. I figured it gave me a little flexibility in case I wanted to run a rig FOB and one on stage.

I've only taken it out twice. My experience is that you can't trust rechargeable AA batteries on it - they barely made it through a gig just taking a line signal from a board, I can't imagine how fast they'd drain running phantom to power mics. The 2nd time, I had it running off a USB powerbank and running two mics - it was fine, but cumbersome. I need to test out the lithium ion (non-rechargeable) batteries everyone has been using.
they will go a lot longer due to the higher voltage. around 7 hrs with phantom

Offline cd2go

• Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 01:38:30 AM »
Yes, I've been very happy with the Energizer Lithiums, about 6.5 hours @48K powering a CCM 4 pair. I tried Duracell Optimums and got 3.2 hours, pretty good for the price; lithiums are insane lately.

Online mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 11:01:48 AM »
Took my F3 out for its maiden voyage last night. I just used the Anker USB-C battery that powers my MixPre 3 and 6. The MixPre 3 with 48V on usually uses about 2/10 bars on the meter. The F3 with 48V on didn’t even use a single bar after keeping it on the entire 3+ hour show. Using a small external battery and cable seems like a good fit if you don’t mind having that in your bag or on your person.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 03:48:32 AM »
Just to add this info on the right places.

I used the Zoom F3 now several times with the Schoeps MK41 > Nbob Actives > Baby Nbox > Zoom F3 setup. The Zoom has 4 input settings (Line, Line 48+, Mic, Mic 48+). The Baby Nbox is there to power the Schoeps mic. Therefore you should NOT use the Phantom Power on the Zoom, so that leaves the MIC (minus 48+) or LINE in (minus 48+) as options. I have used the MIC IN (minus 48+) at some big PA concerts at DFC and it works perfect. Good levels, nothing different from a normal microphone (mic in 48+) > Zoom F3 recording. I have not used the Line In and can not comment on sonic differences.

This is gonna be crossposted on the Schoeps Team forum aswell.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline mepaca

• Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 07:41:17 PM »
these have been posted on the Facebook taper groups

I'm not sure myself about having the battery directly plugged into the unit

I don't like the form of the combination.  Moreover, the combination's mass could flex and stress the USB-C port of the recorder if the combination was not simply sitting flat on a shelf.     
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 08:58:15 PM by unidentified »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 05:19:29 PM »
Been ducking with this thing for hours, nice little brick!

But I’m not sure I understand the magnification settings. What’s a good setting? I was confused and thought it had to be set at 32 but I know that’s not right, the living room recording was pretty low when normalized. Can someone give a down and dirty?

Tanks!

😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 05:57:04 PM »
We’ve confirmed that the magnification settings is POST adc and does NOT affect your end result. Think of it as an after-the-fact level fader. I’ve recorded my living room speaker blasting very loud at x1024 (the highest magnification setting) and while everything APPEARED to be clipping very badly, once you’ve transferred the file to software and reduced the gain, the recording is completely normal. It seems like magic and is hard to accept, but it’s true!

I like around x8 for loud rock, but sometimes go higher so that raw playback is at a nice consumer level playback volume. No more normalizing!

The last 3-4 pages of the 1st Zoom F3 thread covers the topic thoroughly if you want to read more about it. Love my F3!
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 06:24:19 PM »
Thank you!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com