Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: You do have INSURANCE, don't you?  (Read 14745 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
You do have INSURANCE, don't you?
« on: June 27, 2003, 10:50:35 AM »
Depending on how much you have invested in your gear, you may want to consider insurance (it's cheap!).  You may currently have a policy which covers your gear.  You may not.  Best to find out!

The most common forms of insurance for covering our precious recording gear (and DATs, and CDs, and home stereo equipment, and...well, you get the idea):

Home owners
Personal property
Renters

I have renters/personal property insurance with Travelers Insurance Co.  I have a $30,000 policy which covers replacement value, not depreciated value, with a $250 deductible.  Insuring for replacement value is key!  Costs me a whopping ~$100 a year.  BFD.

The policy covers my gear in my home.  It covers my gear on my motorcycle or in my car, in planes and trains, in a submarine, etc. - wherever my gear is, it's covered.  It also covers my home stereo/theater, all my media (not an insignificant amount of $$$!), everything I own except my vehicles proper.

Coverage includes natural disasters, fire, theft, etc.  Not sure if it covers someone frying all my gear at a show by spilling a beer into it, but I'm gonna check on that one.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 11:07:00 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
Re:You do have INSURANCE, don't you?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 10:59:49 AM »
Great idea Brian.  I'd like to throw a couple cents in on buying the extended repair warranty for your new gear.  I purchased a DA-P1 from Dave Bigham last year and he had purchased the Repair Master Extended Warranty.  I have had to send the unit in twice, for repair of the same problem.  There was a faulty on/off switch which wasn't repaired properly the first time I sent it in.  Both times I sent it to Prodigital, it got the clean and lube treatment, free!  It works perfectly now and hasn't cost me anything but shipping.  Definately worth the $100 bucks Dave paid :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 11:59:09 AM »
just called my agent, going to be moving on this soon for my gear, my damn car is insured and is worth less than my taping gear :-X
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 12:28:50 PM »
Yeah, for as much as people invest in their rigs its almost scary to think that some don't have any/adequate insurance!

I would assume a personal property or applicable insurance product would cover liquid simply because its a type of damage. Additionally, many extended warranties that exist cover liquid damage. I paid an additional $25 (renewable annually after its activated) for an extended warranty on my UA-5 from Musician's Friend simply for that reason.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 02:27:02 PM »
+T for a great idea!!!  getting ready to call my insurance agent right now!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »
I am pretty sure my stuff is covered through my home owners insurance, but I want to make sure.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 05:10:01 PM »
here's the question, though...

All my insurance is through my parents, and I'm sure they wouldn't want their premiums going up.  What are my options?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 05:32:28 PM »
thanx Brian Ska. for the heads-up, +T
My equipment isn't worth much now, but it's a great idea for some of you high end gear sluts

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 05:42:41 PM »

All my insurance is through my parents, and I'm sure they wouldn't want their premiums going up.  What are my options?

You may already be covered, depends on their policy.  Ask 'em if your gear is covered and under what circumstances, they'll be impressed you're thinking about it!  And if you're not covered, I bet the additional premium will be tiny.  Check it out...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2003, 01:23:35 AM »
just checked with my parents on this subject and they say it'd be covered on the homeowner's insurance but there's one problem.
There is a $500 deductable meaning I'd have to have $1000 worth or more of equipment stolen/damaged before it'd be worth it to hit up the insurance company for the money/replacement.  oh well, atleast it's there! Great topic/heads-up again Brian!

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2003, 02:31:50 AM »

You may already be covered, depends on their policy.  Ask 'em if your gear is covered and under what circumstances, they'll be impressed you're thinking about it!  And if you're not covered, I bet the additional premium will be tiny.  Check it out...

See, the thing is, I don't live at home most of the time... I'd bet it's covered through the university, but I'll have to look in to that.  Any other college geeks have similar experiences?  Daryan?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2003, 10:56:29 AM »

See, the thing is, I don't live at home most of the time... I'd bet it's covered through the university, but I'll have to look in to that.  Any other college geeks have similar experiences?  Daryan?
I would doubt it unfortunatley. My school isnt in the exactly best part of town and they have in the housing contract that things stolen from your room are not their responsiblity. In fact our beer pong table got stolen last year and they did nothing about it.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2003, 01:10:11 PM »

I hear ya Lee, I'm only home for the summer, most of the time I'm at college.  I dunno if I'd be covered away from home, or if I should get renter's insurance for myself

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2003, 02:48:04 PM »
Well, it never hurts to have more insurance than you need.... Plus its only ~$100!
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 12:39:12 AM »
Lee I know my parents insurance covered my high price items when i was at school. I had a laptop & 2 technics 1200 turntables stolen out of my apartment. They were covered. I think since my main residence was at home with them. When I was away at school it was still covered.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com