Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best stealthable 24bit device?  (Read 14019 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Best stealthable 24bit device?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 06:39:22 AM »

You can do this today:
 - Sony Playstation 3 can play DSD files natively (in DSF format I believe) - I would think off a hard disk as well as DVD-R - PS3 can send bitstream  over HDMI as well so you may be able to send DSD straight to a DSD compatible HDMI Reciever (i.e. high end Denon or Onkyo)
 - Sony also released a free plugin for Windows Media Player to play DSF files and convert them to PCM on the fly
 - Korg's Audiogate allows playback of DSD files on the MAC - not ideal but does work - you have to have a MR-1 or MR-1000 to install Audiogate though
 - FWIW - Sony also has a few VAIO PC's that have DSD sound cards

having looked into this, I believe its not straight DSD/DSF conversion.  the Sony plugin converts the signal to PCM.

any way...
I've owned the R9, MicroTrack and have played w/a few others.  the Korg MR1 sounds better.  hands down.  battery life is the *ony* drawback.
I master in DSD > audiogate the masters down to redbook and am *very happy*.

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »
Great thread Travelinbeat- I have the R-09HR after coming off the PD-Audio format the last 4 years. For the size, and the fact that it's a Hi Rez recorder, I'm quite happy. I primarily stealth my shows, and the sound is quite nice. I've tried comparing it to my PD-Audio which was exception for a HD Recorder, but unfortunately ran into stability issues the result of the manufacture. After going through those trials and tribulations I discovered this site and studied long and hard what to get in the future and have been quite happy with this form factor. I also considered the form factor of the Korg unit for it's size but with the price (without any mention of rebates) went with the R-09HR.  Sound quality is great as far as what I can tell- I don't have the software that would analyze it (Harbal?) for the quality, but some on this board have and found that it is great. It's still new as  far as field use goes so, in time, others may bear out what I purchased in terms of it being a great recorder. The other thing I like about this unit is that I can split the file on the fly, plus the remote capability. It's a frikin tiny remote and for stealth recordings it makes the options even better. While some don't care for that option for fear of something going wrong, I think for my application, it's a win- win. I can have the recorder in my fanny pack and not have to pull the unit out to adjust anything (like I did previously) and if your into stealth recording, this is a desirable feature for me. I go to a specific venue where they monitor heavily for recording and if there's any type of lighting etc they have literally pulled the unit from your hands. I speak from experience here ;-). I've ordered the Church Ugly Preamp for those shows that are quite and may not use it that often (since the shows I go to are relatively loud enough) but after coming from a digital pre I'm more comfortable having it and not using it then not having it and needing it. The unit works well without a pre with the battery box I had for the mics. My battery box though also has problems and as a result went with Church on their minature BB so that I can be even more low pro. Anyway, I'm sure that with all the feedback that this thread will give you  in time you'll find a unit that will work.

That's the second solid endorsement for the r-09hr I've gotten from a very reliable source!  It looks like I'm approaching a conclusion here folks, any avid supporters of anything other than the r-09hr please deposit your opinions soon!
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »

having looked into this, I believe its not straight DSD/DSF conversion.  the Sony plugin converts the signal to PCM.

This is true for Windows Media Player,  but the PS3 may be able to stream DSD/DSF w/o PCM conversion via HDMI - using Bitstream over HDMI with recent firmware releases - don't know for sure as I have yet to try.

The Sony Audio software that comes with the handful of it's Viao DSD enables PC's allows direct DSD to Analog conversion using it's semi -proprietary Crystal Audio chip and drivers.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 12:17:48 AM »
Another possibility for a small 24-bit recorder is one of the Oade modified PMD620s, particularly the concert mod (http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-620MODS.html).  This mod features significant upgrades to both the mic- and line-in signal paths.  Doug Oade mentioned in an e-mail to me that "The Op Amp in the Concert MOD is chosen to be as fast as possible with the lowest distortion possible...The Concert chip has a noise spec of less than 1/2 that of the stock chip."

Couple this with the small size and ease of use of the PMD620, and this might be a good option for the OP's intended use.  The deck can easily be operated with one hand and without looking at the buttons...

Potential drawbacks compared to some of the other recorders mentioned in this thread are price ($499.00 shipped) and lack of internal mics.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 11:07:36 AM »
I master in DSD > audiogate the masters down to redbook and am *very happy*.

I have to agree - with Audio gate you don't have to resample and dither, you convert from DSD to 16/44.1 or 24/192 or what ever (converting to sample rates based on 44.1 vs 48 (i.e. 88.2 vs 96) are prefered as the formula to convert to 48 is more complex - from what I have read).

So you can convert with Audio gate and track with CD-Wav and your done - as long as no other mastering is required.

The results are great.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline pyiteac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 03:37:43 AM »
I have an MR-1 and am very happy with it.  I have had the opportunity to run a comp with it and a 744 last year at Charleston WSP.  Sound wise they both sound very similar.  The 744 is a little softer(not volume) sounding.  It has a "rounder" more analogue sound to it.  The MR-1 has more detail.  It is a more up front sound.  I prefer the sound of the MR-1.  There are things the MR-1 records that will amaze you.  It's an "oh, My" box.  HDD or not.  It's a winner :coolguy:

FYI:
Comp info:  F.O.B. Schoeps MK4>KC5>CMC6xt>E.A.A. PSP-2>xlr>Sound Devices 744t
                                                                                   >1/8" mini>Korg MR-1

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:03:23 AM by pyiteac »
Mics: Schoeps MK4>KCY (with MK41/MK21/MK8's on call)
Pre:  Schoeps VMS02ib 
Interconnects:  Kimber Kable
Recorder:  Korg Mr-1

Offline fp

• Taperssection Newbie
  • choco dependant
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:27 PM »
Another possibility for a small 24-bit recorder is one of the Oade modified PMD620s, particularly the concert mod (http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-620MODS.html).  This mod features significant upgrades to both the mic- and line-in signal paths.  Doug Oade mentioned in an e-mail to me that "The Op Amp in the Concert MOD is chosen to be as fast as possible with the lowest distortion possible...The Concert chip has a noise spec of less than 1/2 that of the stock chip."
Too bad that they can't ship this outside the US ....
AT831 > MARANTZ PMD660 (busman mod)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:56 AM »
I really like the Marantz PMD620 also, i have a stock unit and use the HLSC-1's(4.7k mod) straight into the mic in with very nice results and no issues with clipping at all, in fact i recorded Testament in a small venue last week which was extremely loud and it turned out rather nicely as have all the recordings that way(done the mic in thing 4 times now), the unit provides 5v of phantom power which is plenty to power plug in mics so i really see no reason for having a battery box in loud concert situations which makes that setup very small indeed, i only have need for a preamp when its a quieter or acoustic type show.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
http://cnet.nytimes.com/voice-recorders/korg-mr-1/4505-11314_7-32563619.html

This guy really tells you how he feels about the MR-1. (hint: he doesn't really like it)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 05:37:12 PM »
http://cnet.nytimes.com/voice-recorders/korg-mr-1/4505-11314_7-32563619.html

This guy really tells you how he feels about the MR-1. (hint: he doesn't really like it)

Any idea which was or is his favourite?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 05:59:46 PM »
Not really. He really didn't like the price of it, which at the time it was expensive, or the mic that came with it, or the hard drive in it, or the battery life.
Probably likes something like the H2
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com