Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Saving my recordings on SDHC  (Read 4040 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Saving my recordings on SDHC
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
SDHC is sooo cheap now that i am keeping my recordings on the original SDHC card. you can get 32g cards for $7. with 32g you can put many shows on one card. i used to back up (and still do) on many non solid state internal sata drives, but i now think the sdhc card might be more reliable. any thoughts?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Saving my recordings on SDHC
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:36:53 AM »
I only use my cards once.  Not necessarily for backup purposes as I store in the cloud as well as on my NAS array.  I use 16GB cards and figure if they ever stop making cards that work in my recorders I can reuse.  I have at least 100 by now so lifetime supply.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:28 AM »
certainly not the cheapest option

$120 of 32GB cards is 544GB

you can buy an 8TB external for that same $120
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:22 AM »
SDHC is sooo cheap now that i am keeping my recordings on the original SDHC card. you can get 32g cards for $7. with 32g you can put many shows on one card. i used to back up (and still do) on many non solid state internal sata drives, but i now think the sdhc card might be more reliable. any thoughts?
To my knowledge, SDHC has not proven itself to be classified as an archival media. If you Google SD cards as long term storage you will see many opinions but only little factual evidence.
One thing is for certain, the least expensive products rarely holds the best archival properties. Paying for the "best" is not a guarantee of longevity either, unfortunately. (I paid good money for what was supposed to be quality MiniDisc media, only to find 10% unreadable 10 years later).
I am afraid that I can't think of anything replacing a healthy backup strategy.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »
To my knowledge, SDHC has not proven itself to be classified as an archival media. If you Google SD cards as long term storage you will see many opinions but only little factual evidence.
This.

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
The only advantage I could see to keeping the original recordings on SDHC cards would be that they would take very little space in a safe deposit box.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
I only use my cards once.  Not necessarily for backup purposes as I store in the cloud as well as on my NAS array.  I use 16GB cards and figure if they ever stop making cards that work in my recorders I can reuse.  I have at least 100 by now so lifetime supply.

wait what? You only use your SD cards once? Why?...

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »

Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »

if you think thats crazy, we used to use upwards of $10 per show on media back in the day

$10 buys you 10 shows worth of SDHC
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »

if you think thats crazy, we used to use upwards of $10 per show on media back in the day

That was necessary though. I don't see how one off SD cards is...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:37:38 PM by opsopcopolis »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »

Cards are cheap.  2 reasons.  First I believe a lower chance of card errors on a new and fully formatted card and second, at some point they will stop making cards compatible with the recorders.  At that point I have a large supply of single use cards.  Considering back in the day I would pay $24 for 2 DATS to record a show.  A $16GB card costs $6.

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 11:22:18 PM »

Cards are cheap.  2 reasons.  First I believe a lower chance of card errors on a new and fully formatted card and second, at some point they will stop making cards compatible with the recorders.  At that point I have a large supply of single use cards.  Considering back in the day I would pay $24 for 2 DATS to record a show.  A $16GB card costs $6.

I've been using the same 2 SDHC cards for 8 years now and have never had an issue.  500+ shows.  Seems like a giant waste of money when it's not needed. Plus your recording gear is likely to fail before those cards become redundant
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:24:18 PM by NSL »
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 03:04:29 AM »
I use a RAID enclosure. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Optical M disc . 1000 yr archive. Requires burner capable of burning m disc . OWC has them for 129 usd . Discs are available on Verbatim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com