Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable & Connector Recommendation for 4.7k Mod  (Read 3314 times)

Offline moonchilddave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Cable & Connector Recommendation for 4.7k Mod
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
Ok, from what I've read on these forums, it looks like I would benefit from the 4.7k mod for my SP-CMC-8 mics as I do occasionally tape loud rock concerts and have had them overload on me even when using the battery box (SP-SPSB-3) going in to my Edirol R09HR.  Which leads me in to some questions...

I am thinking of terminating the mics in mini XLR and creating 2 adapter cables (one with the 4.7k mod, one without) to go mini XLR to 3.5mm and just pick the appropriate patch cable depending on what it is I'll be taping.

Here's what I am currently looking at ordering to make these cables, any recommendations or suggestions?  Sourcing parts from Mouser:

502-TA3FSHF ($11.28) : Switchcraft XLR Connectors 3P FEMALE SCKT SHLD W FLEX STRAIN (mini XLR) : QTY 2
502-TA3MSHF ($9.68) : Switchcraft XLR Connectors 3P MALE PIN SHLD W FLEX STRAIN (mini XLR) : QTY 4
502-35HDBAUS ($4.88) : Switchcraft Phone Connectors 3.5mm PLUG SML HANDL (3.5mm) : QTY 2
71-CMF55-B-4.7K ($1.19) : Vishay Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 4.7Kohms .1% 25ppm : QTY 2

Mogami cable - but not sure which (W2697 perhaps) or where to source from.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:01:54 AM by moonchilddave »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cable & Connector Recommendation for 4.7k Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
Ok, from what I've read on these forums, it looks like I would benefit from the 4.7k mod for my SP-CMC-8 mics as I do occasionally tape loud rock concerts and have had them overload on me even when using the battery box (SP-SPSB-3) going in to my Edirol R09HR.  Which leads me in to some questions...

I am thinking of terminating the mics in mini XLR and creating 2 adapter cables (one with the 4.7k mod, one without) to go mini XLR to 3.5mm and just pick the appropriate patch cable depending on what it is I'll be taping.

Here's what I am currently looking at ordering to make these cables, any recommendations or suggestions?  Sourcing parts from Mouser:

502-TA3FSHF ($11.28) : Switchcraft XLR Connectors 3P FEMALE SCKT SHLD W FLEX STRAIN (mini XLR) : QTY 2
502-TA3MSHF ($9.68) : Switchcraft XLR Connectors 3P MALE PIN SHLD W FLEX STRAIN (mini XLR) : QTY 4
502-35HDBAUS ($4.88) : Switchcraft Phone Connectors 3.5mm PLUG SML HANDL (3.5mm) : QTY 2
71-CMF55-B-4.7K ($1.19) : Vishay Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 1/4watt 4.7Kohms .1% 25ppm : QTY 2

Mogami cable - but not sure which or where to source from (W2697 perhaps).

Thanks in advance!
Throw me a couple of bucks I can send you a small chunk of cable and some tek flex and a few resistors. I actually do the mod inside the head of the mic. At the fet. But you can do it in the mini xlr cable adaptor to break out to 3.5 mm. The switchcraft connectors are very good but very bulky. I would recommend NY3231BG from Neutrik, I would build one adaptor with my mod and one with Yellow and shield shorted. So you can get that extra 12 db of gain in low volume situations. Mark the cable with a small band of heatshrink so you know what's what. In any event if you contact me I can send you some cable. You only need 4 feet. If you want the adaptors to be smaller 2 feet.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com