Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Lectrosonics SPDR Stereo Dig Recorder  (Read 28726 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Lectrosonics SPDR Stereo Dig Recorder
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
This with a stereo pair of DPA 4060 will make a killer rig for plants, ambiance and stealth music gigs.

I had the same thought. Pretty expensive, though, between the cost of the recorder and the microdot-to-lectrosonics adapters ($100 each). I wonder how it would compare soundwise to a d:vice and iPhone setup. The d:vice route could be quite a bit cheaper, particularly if you already use an iPhone or iPod.

[Edit to add: And, of course, you get a phone or music player if you go the d:vice route!]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:34:24 PM by aaronji »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
i'm not actually interested in this at all as i recently got a mixpre-6, but i am genuinely curious (not criticizing) -- how would the lack of XLR, 1/4" or 1/8" inputs translate to what we do? the sole input being TA5M 5-pin? maybe i'm just naive, but that seems like a hindrance for concert taping. i'm actually completely unfamiliar with that type of connector as none of my gear has ever had that.

It's perfectly easy to make a dual xlr to TA5 cable.

I'd imagine that the new sonosax pre/ad> aes into this would be about as good a stealth rig as could be.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »
This with a stereo pair of DPA 4060 will make a killer rig for plants, ambiance and stealth music gigs.

dvice equals it at 1/3 of the cost
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 06:47:11 AM »

I'd imagine that the new sonosax pre/ad> aes into this would be about as good a stealth rig as could be.

^
I was thinking the same thing...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »

Adding digital input and timecode adds quite a lot to the cost of a recorder. This looks like it's aimed at film and/or TV recordists.

its the first bit bucket in that size since the garbage maudio microtrack

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
great match for schoeps CMR.

what you spend on recorder you save on AD and mic bodies

CMR wiring for Lectrosonics:

https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/component/com_fsf/Itemid,714/tag,Wireless,%20Schoeps,%20CMR,%20mic,%20adapter,%20servo,%20input,%20amplifiers/view,faq

which doesnt happen to match anything in the manual

bummer it has a "rugged aluminum housing" with all the metal detectors these days
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:17:18 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »

Now that’s a consideration.  An alternate rig for my CMRs.  Thanks!

great match for schoeps CMR.

what you spend on recorder you save on AD and mic bodies

CMR wiring for Lectrosonics:

https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/component/com_fsf/Itemid,714/tag,Wireless,%20Schoeps,%20CMR,%20mic,%20adapter,%20servo,%20input,%20amplifiers/view,faq

which doesnt happen to match anything in the manual

bummer it has a "rugged aluminum housing" with all the metal detectors these days
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 01:12:49 AM »
Mine is on the way  ;D

I would want it for field recordings as well, not so much for music. In your line of work, I imagine a lot of people would be using SD recorders for dialog as well. Are they considered to be on a par with Lectrosonics in your industry?
In my experience most location sound people are using Sound Devices (personally I use Zaxcom though), and the way I have always seen Lectrosonic wireless being used is their pre into the line in. In news they usually use Lectrosonic receivers going directly into the camera (and broadcast cameras have a specific slot for that). This is a long way of saying that Lectrosonics sound very good.

i'm not actually interested in this at all as i recently got a mixpre-6, but i am genuinely curious (not criticizing) -- how would the lack of XLR, 1/4" or 1/8" inputs translate to what we do? the sole input being TA5M 5-pin? maybe i'm just naive, but that seems like a hindrance for concert taping. i'm actually completely unfamiliar with that type of connector as none of my gear has ever had that.
For sure this product is not aimed directly at tapers. But if you work in film/tv the TA5 is pretty much the standard for lav/bodypack wireless mics. It's a very robust connection, essentially a small XLR. Personally I already own lav mics that use the TA5, so it is perfect for me. I do agree that for anyone who doesn't already own the correct type of mics or has a specific need for this type of device it probably isn't of much interest.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 01:14:57 AM »
This is a long way of saying that Lectrosonics sound very good.

im sure its HQ but something designed for voice may not be the best for music in all cases

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »
Mine is on the way  ;D

I would want it for field recordings as well, not so much for music. In your line of work, I imagine a lot of people would be using SD recorders for dialog as well. Are they considered to be on a par with Lectrosonics in your industry?
In my experience most location sound people are using Sound Devices (personally I use Zaxcom though), and the way I have always seen Lectrosonic wireless being used is their pre into the line in. In news they usually use Lectrosonic receivers going directly into the camera (and broadcast cameras have a specific slot for that). This is a long way of saying that Lectrosonics sound very good.

Thanks for that information!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
What is the level setting / level metering arrangement on this recorder? I only looked at the product description briefly, but it seemed to me as if it might require some trial and error.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
multi function indicator light

i believe its
green at -20dB red at 0dB

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
For me that's a deal-breaker--not knowing within ±10 dB where my levels are. I can't spend all my time with my fingers crossed, waiting for an LED to tell me I'm f**ked.

Some equipment is very well designed for its intended application, but that application may not be my application ...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:25:11 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »
multi function indicator light

i believe its
green at -20dB red at 0dB
For me that's a deal-breaker--not knowing within ±10 dB where my levels are. I can't spend all my time with my fingers crossed, waiting for an LED to tell me I'm f**ked.

Some equipment is very well designed for its intended application, but that application may not be my application ...

I've received mine today, and there is, in addition to the LEDs, a meter on the display. I will note though, it is quite small.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »
Despite the small text and resolution of the meter, I am quite impressed with their use of pixels in that limited space.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.171 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com