Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wiring insert plugs to send/return from console  (Read 1781 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Wiring insert plugs to send/return from console
« on: July 23, 2023, 02:20:44 PM »

I have a couple of things coming up soon that would benefit from taking ISO tracks from the console in addition to (or instead of) the mix and the mix desks for both of them don't have direct outs on the channels or enough unused outputs to be able to route individual channels to them for me to use. Both consoles have inserts on all the channels, though.

Can you wire a TRS plug to send and return without actually returning? I don't want to do the "one click" method.

If I'm picturing this correctly you would just jumper the tip to the ring if the insert point were wired

Tip = send
Ring = return
Sleeve = ground

Any thoughts?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Wiring insert plugs to send/return from console
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 02:48:47 PM »
Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the question. Don't really see many boards that still have physical insert jacks these days... Out of curiosity, what are the boards?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 03:02:35 PM by opsopcopolis »

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 02:59:12 PM »
You can use one of these: https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSDOC10

or, if you can DIY, you can make up a few cables with a TS connector on one end (goes to your recorder) and a TRS connector on the other end (goes to the mixer insert, plugged all the way in). Use single conductor cable and short tip/ring solder points on the TRS connector.`

« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 03:00:59 PM by Ronmac »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »
You can use one of these: https://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSDOC10

or, if you can DIY, you can make up a few cables with a TS connector on one end (goes to your recorder) and a TRS connector on the other end (goes to the mixer insert, plugged all the way in). Use single conductor cable and short tip/ring solder points on the TRS connector.`

That hosa cable is just what I need. I have a TRS snake that I can use along with the adapters. I'd like to avoid building mission specific cables for this. I won't use them often since as opsopcopolis mentions there aren't many boards I run into with inserts nowadays.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the question. Don't really see many boards that still have physical insert jacks these days... Out of curiosity, what are the boards?

They are both older analog boards. One is an Allen and Heath the other is a Soundcraft. Don't know the models off hand I've been emailing with the FOH people for the events through the musicians I'm working with and it's taking a lot of legwork to get the details. But they do say they have insert points on every channel. I was hoping for a newer digital board and I could just stick a USB stick in there, take the ISOs  and discard what I didn't want later. No such luck.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 07:39:13 PM »
I got about a dozen of the HOSA insert adapters about 10 years ago and used them successfully a couple of times recording bands I was in with a TRS snake to a Tascam US1800 to laptop. The one time I was not successful was when I tried to use my QSC TouchMix16 (which are combo mic/line input) as the recorder and the inserts negatively impacted the channels on the main board. Probably something about the input impedance of the QSC channels but I never investigated further.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 07:40:53 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com