Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth Taping Cable Static  (Read 4505 times)

Offline tobydodds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Stealth Taping Cable Static
« on: September 07, 2023, 08:53:21 AM »
Still breaking in my stealth taping rig.  I record stealth with Sennheiser MKE Golds, a pair safety pinned on my shoulders.  I then connect the mini male plugs to a Y cable that goes mini in to my Church Ugly Battery Box and then out to my Sony A10.

Recorded Luna at the Atlantis, DC last night and on one channel there is a bunch of static from the cable connects.  My question is how do I secure those connections and prevent this from happening?  I think it occurs because I move around a bit.  Do I have to stand still?  I don't know if I can abide by that.  I don't need to dance but want to feel free to move around without worrying about my cables feeding back.

I've attached a WAV form that shows the outcome last night and also a shot of my cables.  Thanks tapers for your help!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:42:06 AM by tobydodds »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Stealth Taping Cable Static
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 09:26:47 AM »
Can you post a sample of both channels? The only thing that will help with rustling is to secure the capsule, short of any software plug-ins.

If it is a mechanical issue with the cable, hopefully it is at the connection end.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 09:37:58 AM »
Agree with DP that you should post samples.  Gaff tape is a great problem solver.  I always keep a strip or two on the back of my deck when I stealth.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 09:45:19 AM »
Thanks!  I just posted audio samples.  I figured tape was my next step and Gaff tape sounds cool. I wondered if there wasn't a more robust solution.  The Senn mini jacks have female threading to tighten but I'd need a Y cable with the ability to connect with male threaded ends and I don't know if those are available.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 09:49:16 AM »
Rig it up exactly like you would when you roll. Find a quiet space, and plug some headphones (preferably IEMs) into the recorder. Start record mode and set the output volume so that you can easily hear mic input. Beginning at each capsule where the cable enters, gently bend and flex each section of cable, working your way down until you arrive at the recorder.

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 10:04:44 AM »
Thanks.  I've ordered gaffer tape and will be taping again tomorrow night at the Black Cat, DC (Messthetics, Flasher, Ex-Hex).  We'll see if the tape does the trick.  What I really want is a Y cable with male threaded ends to connect the mics in style.  If you guys have any ideas about how to get that piece let me know.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 10:35:57 AM »
My question is how do I secure those connections and prevent this from happening?  I think it occurs because I move around a bit.  Do I have to stand still?  I don't know if I can abide by that.  I don't need to dance but want to feel free to move around without worrying about my cables feeding back.

Welcome to stealth recording!  A significant practical aspect of self-worn recording setups is minimizing noise from clothing, cables, and connections.  You can do things that will allow you to move around without creating distracting noise on the recording.  That said, there will also be times when something is not just right and you'll find you need to choose between standing still to make a good recording verses saying fuck it and just enjoying the music. Unfortunately the only ways to know something is not quite right is by either rigging up beforehand and plugging in some headphones to listening for noise or other problems while moving around, or by noticing a problem while recording from looking at the visual meters.  And in that second case noise problems are likely to go unnoticed unless egregious.

What to do:
First make sure your connections are clean and tight fitting.  Clean all connection contacts with 90% isopropyl alcohol or some kind of electrical contact cleaner.  With them wet with solvent, plug-unplug a bunch of times and wiggle turn them all around.  This is often the first thing that goes wrong and is easy to fix.

If the connections are mini-plug/mini-jack TRS, gaff tape them to prevent them from partly or fully disconnecting.  The biggest problem with TRS connections is that most of them are non-locking.  Gaff taping them together substitutes for locking.  After dealing with this for years I converted all my stealth connections from mini-plug to locking mini-xlr except the mini-jacks of recorder itself because they are positive locking and much easier to deal with.  I still gaff tape those connections to the recorder.  Threaded mini-jack is an alternately locking method, but both sides need to have the mating threads.

Make efforts to minimize fabric noise around the microphones, and to minimize solid-born noise transmitted through the mic cable.  When actively listening for noise or other problems with headphones, move around to find the limits of how much movement you can get away with before you notice noise.  Maybe put a loop of cable near the microphone to reduce direct tugging being transmitted through the cable to the microphone as you move.  The other things in this list tend to be more about them working correctly or not in a binary way, but this part is always variable and defines the creative art of stealthing.  As long as everything else is working correctly, this will be biggest variable over which you have control that effects how wildly you can move around without creating noise.

Make sure the cables and soldered termination connections are sound and free of intermittency.  Worn cables tend to suffer from more wear abuse than larger open-recording cables and require re-soldering, reworking, or replacement more often.  If your gear is new this is unlike to be a problem now, but will be sometime in the future.

Other considerations:
How loud the music is effects strongly effects the audibility of much of this.  You can move around a lot more and get away with other noise problems when the music is loud verses very quiet acoustic music where you will need to remain more still.  But even with the quietest stuff you can set things up to allow movement without being statute like.

Other than noise, your own movement can effect stereo image, and some setups will be more susceptible to this than others.  Your setup is less susceptible to this than other common methods.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:37:37 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »
Thanks for the awesome reply.  I'm going to "lock" the connections with gaffer tape and head out tomorrow to try again and will let you know how it goes.  Do you guys know anyone who might custom build me a Y cable with threaded male ends that would fit my Senns?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 11:30:36 AM »
Thanks!  I just posted audio samples.

It's definitely your mic capsules rubbing your clothes/hat/etc. Once you secure those, you should be good to go.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 11:37:50 AM »
Thanks.  If it's the capsules rubbing on my shirt that's a bigger challenge actually.  I've been trying to avoid clipping them to my glasses as it feels really restrictive and pretty noticeable.  I'd like to pin them to my shoulders or body but this is a challenge if I have to worry about the capsules rubbing on my shirt fabric.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 11:54:46 AM »
Thanks.  If it's the capsules rubbing on my shirt that's a bigger challenge actually.  I've been trying to avoid clipping them to my glasses as it feels really restrictive and pretty noticeable.  I'd like to pin them to my shoulders or body but this is a challenge if I have to worry about the capsules rubbing on my shirt fabric.

Are they under your shirt or on top of it? And do they have windscreens? Trying to picture your setup and what could be rubbing.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 01:12:50 PM »
Yeah, this is where stealth creativity comes to the fore.

Think about ways to secure the mics so they don't shift around too much.. or maybe in such a way that they always move with the fabric rather than the fabric moving against them counter to them. Think about ways to prevent the fabric from rubbing against the microphone, especially the grating or openings.  If the fabric must contact the microphone or something attached to it, make sure the contact surface which the fabric comes into contact with is as smooth as possible.  Windscreen foam is rough and will make noise when fabric rubs across it. Try different shirts, different fabrics, tighter or looser, etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:40:27 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tobydodds

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 01:39:57 PM »
I cut a small hole in each shoulder and then thread the lavalier through it so just the capsule pokes through.  Turn the shirt inside out and pinch the fabric and poke it through with a safety pin.  Come to think of it I didn't have this problem with my flannel shirt which I used in the colder months but it's summer and I've got it pinned to a soft cotton button up shortsleeve shirt that is less stable I guess.  Man, I really hope I can get this sorted.  I love getting wired up and not having to fuss at all.  I'm also amazed at how people don't notice or care.  I walked right through security last night, no problem with the metal detector and I just dropped the recorder into the bin with my keys and cellphone.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 02:04:57 PM »
Get a black ball cap and mount the mics on the sides of the bill. Run the cables around back and secure them to the back of the hat then down the inside of the back of your shirt. Having the cables secured will minimize how much the mics move when you move and the bill of a hat is less likely to make noise when/if the mics rub against it compared to most shirt fabric.

The disadvantage is that when you turn your head the stereo image will move too - but you said you move around anyway so that's probably not much of a concern.

I don't do a lot of stealth taping but when I do I find a place to put the mics and recorder and go enjoy the show - a table top with a shirt tossed over them, a column with the mics taped to the sides and the recorder in a cloth bag, a ledge with a clear line of sight to the PA....there's lots of ways to avoid contact noise by eliminating contact.

Here's some examples of NOT wearing the gear -

outside venue mics and recorder sitting on top of a power outlet box near FOH in plain sight of the crew - https://soundcloud.com/roger-cox-7/sets/stephenmarley-subatomicsoundsystem-mixtape

inside venue mics and recorder on a table in line with the stack - https://soundcloud.com/roger-cox-7/sets/wailers-2023-04-11

Having some gaffers tape wound around a lighter or sharpie in your pocket can be clutch when you need to get creative mounting lightweight mics somewhere.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 02:11:46 PM »
Get a black ball cap and mount the mics on the sides of the bill. Run the cables around back and secure them to the back of the hat then down the inside of the back of your shirt. Having the cables secured will minimize how much the mics move when you move and the bill of a hat is less likely to make noise when/if the mics rub against it compared to most shirt fabric.

The disadvantage is that when you turn your head the stereo image will move too - but you said you move around anyway so that's probably not much of a concern.

You can also mount them inside some croakies. Sound Professionals has the instructions at their website. And yes it's true if you move your head side to side the image will move. However, if you bob your head up and down rather than side to side, it's fine.

The croakies instructions BTW have worked with Audio Reality, AT933 and SP-CMC-4u mics (even though the SP-CMC's are much larger).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.175 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com