Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External battery pack for MT2496?  (Read 51121 times)

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
Re: External battery pack for MT2496?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »
Ok, this is the last one... I swear... My friends asked me why no custom wood version? So, I whipped one up...

http://fecundswamp.peanutonastring.com/usb_batt_v6/

It uses a Neutrik USB Panel mount...

I will be putting up a page detailing the various USB power supplies... I made and bought... and the features/cost/benifits.

But I swear... I am not building anymore... I pormise... thank you for your patience and tolerance.

later,
mjr
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:09:54 AM by blindman »
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »
That sure is nice!

So you're using a 7.2v battery?  Does the box that houses the USB panel regulate the voltage to 5v?  Wouldn't 7.2v be too much for the MT?

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »
That sure is nice!

Thank you.

So you're using a 7.2v battery?  Does the box that houses the USB panel regulate the voltage to 5v?  Wouldn't 7.2v be too much for the MT?

I am using a 8 AA battery holder... which is 12V. I didn't have 8 recahrgeables charged, so for testing there I was using alkalines. The output is 5V... I am using the insides of a Ziplinq usb car adapter... check back a few posts in this thread for a picture I posted of the unit cracked open.

I desoldered the LED and soldered some leads onto it so it could be mounted in the top left hole of the Neutrik connector... the connector is quite snug and the single screw should suffice to hold it in place.

The blue caps that the mini-toggle is mounted on are from the inside of those giant 5 gallon water jugs used on water coolers... I like to collect weird things just for such uses.

The box is $1.50 pine crafts box from a craft store and I used a 1-Step Polystain... 2 coats.

I will post the link to the page with a review of all the various power solutions soon.

later,
mjr
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 11:12:57 PM by blindman »
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2006, 03:07:16 PM »
Ok group, I took my Mt out last night for her maiden voyage. everything seemed to work fine using 1g sandisc ultraII cards running 16/44.1. I did get somewhat concerned about the battery life and I want any or everyones opinion on what is the absolute best external battery setup with preferably a very small foot print.

Robert

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2006, 11:34:17 PM »
Ok group, I took my Mt out last night for her maiden voyage. everything seemed to work fine using 1g sandisc ultraII cards running 16/44.1. I did get somewhat concerned about the battery life and I want any or everyones opinion on what is the absolute best external battery setup with preferably a very small foot print.

Robert

I found this out... if you are good with a soldering and heat shrink and even with a limited understanding of electronics (as is my case) you can easily make a simple battery extender that will run the MT. If you are NOT into the hacking idea, the the Digital Concepts PP-99 is the way to go... I waited till buy.com sent me a nice coupon and got mine cheap... Buy.com Sku: 90146586 (they are sold out at the moment, search froogle.com maybe). If you get this unit, you will need a cable to go from a Size "N" Coaxial DC plug out of the PP-99 to a usb mini 5 pin to go into the MT, I believe Todd R can help you with that if you are not comfortable making one... see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49744.0 . Radioshack sells the plug for $2.59 and it is crap... Part# 274-1573, I have not found a nice right angle one yet, Digi-key.com has one made by CUI (PP-002B) /  Digi-Key # CP-004B-ND . You can then take a USB cable, USB B 5-pin mini, http://bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=089682870370370470110216171&prodid=CAB2112&page=1&cri=usb&stype=3 and solder the positive to the center of the plug and the negative to the shield.

There are more and more products hitting that market to extend the battery life of the iPods that also use the 5Volts... and many have a simple USB output that makes life very easy. This one has a LED flashlight built in... http://www.semsons.com/unbaexwiusbp.html

If you want to give it a go yourself, it really is quite simple, read this http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html and this explains the USB pinouts... http://pinouts.ru/data/USB_pinout.shtml

I am going to detail all the hacks (and products I found) at this page... http://fecundswamp.peanutonastring.com/usb/index.html right now it is just the pictures, I will fill in the text in the next week.

I hope this helps.

be well,
mjr
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:09:23 AM by blindman »

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2006, 11:41:04 PM »
Thanx so much for the help. This place is just a gold mine of info especially when folks like you share the knowledge.

Robert

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2006, 12:47:11 PM »
Last week my Shenzhen battery sticks plus various adapters and two chargers arrived.
They are about as small as my thumb (length) and are about two fingers wide.
They provide 2200 maH at 5V. i.e.: double that of the MT.

After charging I will test one out and see how long they last.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
Just got a Toddr Juicebox from YS (bagtagsell's sale thread) and hooked it up to a 9v 6000mAh li-ion battery.

I think I'm good to go.  ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2006, 03:44:49 PM »
For those needing to run microtrack reliably for up to 50 hours check out these two regulated powering sled products: www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#microtrack
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2006, 07:06:54 PM »
For those needing to run microtrack reliably for up to 50 hours check out these two regulated powering sled products: www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#microtrack
$150 for a glorified battery holder???? What have they been smoking?

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2006, 09:48:10 AM »
The glory part is what costs extra of course!  Not for those not needing the glory details.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2006, 01:04:33 PM »
So I got my Shenzhen made Battery Sticks (2200 mAH at 5V or so).
What us the best strategy to use them or any battery pack together with the Microtrack?
Connect the charged battery, start up the MT and record?
Or start just the MT and later connect/power on the batterypack when the MT's battery drains?

What is possible? What is best? (if there is a difference  at all)
I just need the longest continues recording time with the battery capacity I currently have.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2006, 01:21:48 PM »
So I got my Shenzhen made Battery Sticks (2200 mAH at 5V or so).
What us the best strategy to use them or any battery pack together with the Microtrack?
Connect the charged battery, start up the MT and record?
Or start just the MT and later connect/power on the batterypack when the MT's battery drains?

What is possible? What is best? (if there is a difference  at all)
I just need the longest continues recording time with the battery capacity I currently have.

in my testing with both external batteries, I connected a fully charged battery to a fully charged MT and let them run

the external batteries ran out first and then the internal MT battery took over from there
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2006, 02:28:43 PM »
     In moving my DATs over to my HD I used the MT with the wall wort.  When I had to change the Compact Flash it would always fail to find the media when I powered back up with the electric plugged in.  If I powered back up using the internal battery, no problem.  So, when I have to change the compact flash, I always power back up without using external power.  I just plug that in when eveything is already going and I have a little time. 

Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline blindman

• Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2006, 11:52:37 PM »
     In moving my DATs over to my HD I used the MT with the wall wort.  When I had to change the Compact Flash it would always fail to find the media when I powered back up with the electric plugged in.  If I powered back up using the internal battery, no problem.  So, when I have to change the compact flash, I always power back up without using external power.  I just plug that in when eveything is already going and I have a little time. 

I have found this to be true also. I can not change CF cards WITH the charger plugged in... I think it has to do with the fact that the charger boots the unit, and keeps it in some kind of "standby"... so, if I need to change cards I have to power down the unit, remove the charger THEN change the card and reboot... I can then put the charger/battery back in as needed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com