Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: networking  (Read 6912 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
networking
« on: November 06, 2003, 10:42:14 AM »
Here's what I got, here's what I want to do.

I have:  desktop running Windows 2000 pro
laptop running windows xp pro
linksys wired switcher thinger with 5 inputs connected to the cabl;e modem.  I can get internet access on the desktop, but I think I need some sort of ip address to initailly get access via another computer as I had to have it to get it working on the desktop as well.  

What I want to do...in a perfect world, I would like to just share the internet connection and ftp files from the laptop to the desktop.  The main goal of this is to get the huge ass audio files off of my lappy and onto the desktop so I can hear them out of the sek'd prodig plus.  I have no idea what I am doing as far as this stuff goes, my expertise is hardware and stuff like that, but I know very little about networking.  Thanks for the help.

Daryan

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:networking
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 11:38:41 AM »
"Wired switcher thinger" = router? If so, here's how to do this step by step:

1. Before shutting down computers, make sure their network configurations are set to obtain an IP address via DHCP. Shut down the computers, unplug the router, unplug the cable modem - everything is off.
2. Plug cable motem into router's WAN port using ethernet cable. Plug each computer into one of the numbered ports on the router.
3. Turn on cable modem/plug back in. Let it initialize.
4. Plug in router.
5. Turn on both computers. Check the IP addresses of the computers from a DOS prompt (ipconfig /all).
6. If the IPs are 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 (or whatever your router set them to, but those should be the defaults), that means your router successfully assigned the IPs. If not, you must go into your router configuration via IE or another browser and enable DHCP for 2 computers.
7. If you had to enable the router, you might have to reboot the computers.
8. You may now FTP files from the laptop to the desktop.

a. set up FTP server on desktop
b. set up FTP client on laptop
c. point client to server IP (192.168.x.x)
d. upload

If you have any further questions, ask me. This is very similar to a setup that I have used in the past. I went back to using a crossover cable to transfer because it's faster.

If someone wants to stick this in the archive, go ahead.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 12:04:08 PM »
This is simpler than what I was describing.  I was talking about getting files from outside the cable modem.

They're right -- you can avoid the whole FTP thing by just sharing the drive internally and opening the folder.  

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 12:23:18 PM »
mas importante, do you have a switch or router?  A router will let you translate addresses and all that good shit, a switch will only let you move traffic between the ports on your switch, it will not do any layer 3 routing functions.  But, luckily XP made this pretty easy and you can use your XP box as a router/firewall with the internet connection sharing thing.  What is the model of your switch, that will shed some light on which way you need to go.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 01:33:07 PM »
Right on Chuck
 "Ad-Hoc Networking".
 Just go into "My Network Places" and click on "computers near me". Then do a search, once you see your lappy, you should be able to "right click" and select "share". Then you can just click and drag your files off you laptop > Desktop. This is what I do, but I use a router. No FTP bull shit, and hassles, nice and quick too ;D

Peace,
 Russell
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 02:14:29 PM »
oh yeah, rock and roll, forgot, if netbios is enabled on both machines they will be able to talk without TCP/IP and all the addressing bullshit.  ahh K.I.S.S.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 02:15:53 PM »
The dude at the shack told me the best way would be to use a switch by linksys.  I believe it is this exact product...

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=31&prid=149

Thanks guys

Daryan

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 03:44:45 PM »
The dude at the shack told me the best way would be to use a switch by linksys.  I believe it is this exact product...

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=31&prid=149

That will do it, and I can't believe someone at Radio Shack actually said something that helped
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 06:26:22 PM »
OK, here's where I am.  I have both computers running through the switch, and both computers are connected to the internet.  I was thihnking about using ftp, but then after remembering I am on a 15k cap, I need to setup a network I think.  Do I have everything I need??  If so, I need to set up the workgroups to be the same??  Then what, this is where I am confused.

D

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 07:00:12 PM »
ok, both dudads are talking to the internet?  That thing is defintaly a switch (layer 2 device) and not a router (Layer 3 device).  You might want to pick up a cheapo firewall/router if you are going to leave this sucker on all the time as windows has some nasty security holes.  but i digress....

go to start>run.... cmd
from the cmd prompt type "ipconfig" on both computers.  Then see if you can ping each comp from each other (should be no problem).

On one of the PCs right click the Network Neighborhood and go to properties.  Right click your "Local Area Connection" and go to properties.  If its not there already, install "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".  This will allow you to share directories on your PC.  Now back at the cmd prompt on the other computer type "net use * \\<ip address of other pc>\c$"  This will map the default share (windows sets it up by default... $ is for hidden) of your other PC to the next available drive on the PC you are mapping it from.  It will then show up in your windows explorer.  Dont forget to turn that sucker off when you're done cause its a nasty security hole, what you can see from the other PC others can see from the internet.  If you set up any other shared directories, make sure you use the $ after the share name, that will hide it from being announced.

Actually you can use FTP and whatnot, assuming you are on the same subnet, tcp/ip will automatically recognize this and you will bypass the internet, allowing you to transfer at full wire speed to the other local PC.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 07:02:06 PM by cheshirecat »

DaryanLenz

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 09:14:36 PM »
Well, I can't ping the desktop from the laptop, but I can ping the laptop from the desktop.  WTF ??? ???

DaryanLenz

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 09:26:45 PM »
I had to disable some firewall, I got them pinging...

Daryan

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 05:39:23 AM »
thru the cable modem there should be no problem just putting stuff in shared folders, then going My computer > My Network Places > view workgroup coputers

you should see all the opther computers, did this all the time in the dorms, same idea

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 09:12:20 AM »
I really wish I could get this working without ftp.  I am able to ping, but once entering the above info in the command prompt window I get an error message of some sort.  Maybe I will just have to use ftp if I can't figure this stupid thing out!

D

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 10:23:07 AM »
i use FTP at home because i am too lazy to re-set the NT domain from the office on my lappy to my home workgroup. so... i just use FTP to transfer files, and i was able to add my printer using TCP/IP.  

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2003, 10:32:16 AM »
Daryan:

Ok, I'm truely bad at hw/os tech support, so forgive me in advance if I only frustrate you.  :-[

You're just trying to map a drive, yes?  

Assuming you've already shared out the drive, you'll know the shared drive name and the name of the computer it's on.  If you don't, you can get the computer name by right clicking on my computer and selecting the computer name tab.

Go to the other computer, launch explorer (like Windows-E), and try directly accessing the drive by typing in the address window: \\computername\sharename.  You know, like if your computer was named DaryanLaptop and the drive was shared as C, you'd type: \\DaryanLaptop\C.  (Without the period, of course.)

Sometimes this will help when you can't find the computer in the network neighborhood, etc., because the whole system Windows uses to find computers is sorta jacked.  Remember that if you have a different login on the other computer, it'll ask you for it when you do this.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
---
Currently:

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2003, 12:11:53 PM »
Yes yes, but if you can see it, so can the rest of the world, and that no es bueno.  What error message are you getting?

You can try this:
net use \\<IP address>\c$ /user:<computername of remote comptuer>\administrator <password for administrator account on that machine>

that will force you to use the local admin credentials on the remote pc to map the drive.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2003, 12:12:43 PM by cheshirecat »

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2003, 12:13:06 PM »
See, I told you I was lazy and bad at this stuff.  ???

Chuck
---
Currently:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com